U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2006, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 15,296 times

Advertisements

Help! I need to hike!! I'm in Northeastern Oklahoma, not far from Talequah and can find no place to hike. I'm from Maine and feel like a fish out of water. I'd like to find a place where my family and friends and I can hike at least 5 miles. I'm used to the Appalachian Trail. Nothing like that here that anyone knows of??? Please help.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:47 PM

1,355 posts, read 3,474,195 times
Don't know any details. But you should have no trouble finding a place to hike by Tahlequah.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:03 AM

4,613 posts, read 12,504,887 times
hi, well, after living near the Appalachian trail nothing can compare. i used to want to hike it. I am thinking that there has to be hiking trails along all of those rivers that ne oklahoma has.

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/ok/trails.php

check out this link. If it doesn’t work, go to thebackpacker.com

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-21-2006 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: adding more information

Old 11-07-2006, 03:42 AM

1 posts, read 9,997 times
Default Great hiking in NE Oklahoma

NE Oklahoma is a great area. If you're in Tahlequah you're much closer to hiking and outdoor activities then you think.

Take 82 South to the Illinois River. Either before or after the bridge there is a side road with a sign pointing to Sparrow Hawk Mountain. You go along the base of some cliffs and then turn left and go up the hill. There is a parking lot after a couple miles I think and you have an uphill hike up to a plateau for about a half mile. Continue on the trail along the plateau for about a half mile and you come to a killer view of the river and surrounding land from a few hundred feet up. Just like the Applachian Trail. There are all sorts of things there at Tenkiller Lake-- Burnt Ridge Cabin State Park is another thought to check out. For real hiking though you'd have to go into the Ozarks in Arkansas which I've never been to.

While you're there check out the Cookson Smokehouse-- great barbecue and fish in a woodsy, big cabin setting on the lake. More details on their site:

http://www.tenkiller.net/smokehouse/home.htm (broken link)

Hope this helps. Have fun and appreciate your new scenery. It may not be as dramatic or spectacular as the Adirondacks but it has its own charms.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 17,358 times
The sparrowhawk mountain trail is northeast of Tahlequah on senic highway 10.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 PM
WVU

2 posts, read 13,508 times
TheBurn86's directions to Sparrow Hawk are absolutely bogus. Too bad we followed them rather than read the follow up post. It would be nice if someone could delete that entry. You are looking at about a 35 minute drive in the opposite direction if you follow it.

Head NORTH on 10 from Tahlequah, not far from town, you will see a large water slide park on the left where 10 continues north. Turn left to stay on 10. If you drive over the Illinois River, you have gone to far east and will just need to turn back and swing north on 10.

As you head north on 10, you will pass a sign on the right for Sparrow Hawk campground, but keep going another mile or so to the top of the hill. Also, there is a ranger station on the left as you approach the hill, so if you have any doubts, stop and check with the ranger. He's a nice guy.

The first RIGHT at the hill summit, a paved road, will take you slightly down the hill and to Sparrow Hawk Wilderness area parking on the left. Can't miss it. Take the trail that is farthest to the left. You will be at the overlook in less than 20 minutes. Nice hike. We plan to pick up litter on the next trip.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 PM

2,621 posts, read 5,701,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Gastner View Post
Help! I need to hike!! I'm in Northeastern Oklahoma, not far from Talequah and can find no place to hike. I'm from Maine and feel like a fish out of water. I'd like to find a place where my family and friends and I can hike at least 5 miles. I'm used to the Appalachian Trail. Nothing like that here that anyone knows of??? Please help.
Where in Maine are your from? I just sold my land in Oquossoc.

Sorry .... am allergic to most physical activities so I can't help you there

Old 10-21-2008, 05:14 AM

11,878 posts, read 30,844,846 times
Well if you're up for a little bit of a drive you can go South into the Ouachita Mountains. Lots of hiking there, and the link to backpaker.com should help as well.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 10,343 times
Check out the state parks, and the Corps of Engineers lakes. Most have short hiking trails.

You can hike from SE OK to SW AR in the Talihina area, check out the Talimena Drive. It will remind you of the App Trail.

Lots of good spots; where will you start from?

Quote:

Old 01-31-2009, 01:25 PM

6,051 posts, read 9,774,455 times
Quote:
Keep an eye out for "Bigfoot".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma