Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 06:57 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times

Advertisements

Several of you have met her. I don't know who all is aware, but my living together "partner" is not only a Dutch citizen but a sensitive and strong woman. Today she once again proved her worth. We went to a cafe for lunch. We had to wait probably 10 minutes for a table and once we sat down an elderly couple got up from the next table over and were getting ready to head for the door with their check in hand. The gentleman was wearing a WWII ball cap. She stopped them, and speaking to the gentleman asked if he had been in WWII. When he said yes, she said "I want to thank you for liberating my country, may I pay for your meal?" Once again I saw tears in an elderly wife's eyes.....this isn't the first time she has done this, but it always impacts me. We owe that generation so very much, buying them a meal is little enough.......remembering them and honoring them is so important.

I have been inundated with Justin Bieber crap on the news over the past few days. Talking head shrinks tell us he is just a 19 year old kid letting off steam and playing and that he'll grow out of it. As I was sitting there listening to this old guy tell us of his war experiences, I couldn't help but think of how this man and countless others like him, when they were 19 year old kids, liberated France, and Italy, and Holland, and Belgium, gave hope to Great Britain, and defeated the Third Reich and the Japanese Imperial Army.

Like I said, today, Annemieke made me proud to be with her.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 08:58 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
I am glad you shared that story with us. I am not surprised at all about Annemieke showing her gratitude to the WWII vet. She is truly a firecracker with a heart of gold. I am so glad to be friends with both you and Annemieke, it has made my life richer.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Several of you have met her. I don't know who all is aware, but my living together "partner" is not only a Dutch citizen but a sensitive and strong woman. Today she once again proved her worth. We went to a cafe for lunch. We had to wait probably 10 minutes for a table and once we sat down an elderly couple got up from the next table over and were getting ready to head for the door with their check in hand. The gentleman was wearing a WWII ball cap. She stopped them, and speaking to the gentleman asked if he had been in WWII. When he said yes, she said "I want to thank you for liberating my country, may I pay for your meal?" Once again I saw tears in an elderly wife's eyes.....this isn't the first time she has done this, but it always impacts me. We owe that generation so very much, buying them a meal is little enough.......remembering them and honoring them is so important.

I have been inundated with Justin Bieber crap on the news over the past few days. Talking head shrinks tell us he is just a 19 year old kid letting off steam and playing and that he'll grow out of it. As I was sitting there listening to this old guy tell us of his war experiences, I couldn't help but think of how this man and countless others like him, when they were 19 year old kids, liberated France, and Italy, and Holland, and Belgium, gave hope to Great Britain, and defeated the Third Reich and the Japanese Imperial Army.

Like I said, today, Annemieke made me proud to be with her.........
This is great stuff, GP!

Boy, I sure wish your wife's thoughtfulness would rub off on these younger generations. Respect, honor, and dignity are in short supply these days among our young people.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:21 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I am glad you shared that story with us. I am not surprised at all about Annemieke showing her gratitude to the WWII vet. She is truly a firecracker with a heart of gold. I am so glad to be friends with both you and Annemieke, it has made my life richer.
We love you guys, too, and feel very fortunate to have you in our lives.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:16 PM

9 posts, read 18,836 times
That's so beautiful! I wish more people would do things like that. Definitely someone to be very proud of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma