Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 12:44 PM

20 posts, read 66,999 times

Advertisements

Yum, I haven't had a good chile in a while.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:21 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,401,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I never got chocolate after shoveling manure; instead I just went to town smelling good.

Neat horses, alot of shoveling.
Let's see...

Hot chocolate for shoveling snow...
And ______________ for shoveling manure...
I dunno... You guys can fill in the blank...
(I'm sure it would be more entertaining than anything I came up with...
Especially GP or RB.)

My father grew up on a farm in Northern Quebec....
He said whenever they went to town, although they didn't notice the smell,
other folks did.

He HATED the farm...
As soon as he was old enough, he left there to go to build radar stations near the North Pole (Frobisher Bay <sp?>)... Then he came to the US to live the rest of his life.

M.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:42 PM

[quote=redbird4848;2188152
A long time ago, tobacco was considered sacred to Native American peoples and used in traditional ceremonies. It still is to some extent. And I still use tobacco in the traditional way. [/quote]

That was tobacco in their peace pipes?
Boy did I have the wrong idea!

I hope all y'all Okies get me wised up before I get there...
While I'm definitely not ashamed of my roots,
I'd sure hate to sound (and think) like a total greenhorn when I "officially" become an Okie.

M.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,591 times
Peggy, LOVE your horses!! Kabuki (I think) ... the bigger fluffy one? Is adorable! I'll try to post up a couple of my Dad's 'girls' Sweet Pea and Dixie, they're both over 20 now so they don't romp around like they used too.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:49 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
I'd sure hate to sound (and think) like a total greenhorn when I "officially" become an Okie.

M.
Aww! C'mon now! We gotta have a LITTLE fun you know... you didn't think we'd tell you EVERYTHING did you?? That's half the fun of being the *newbie* in town... when you say something stupid and you get that look from one of the old timers that says "Ya ain't from around here are ya?"

Old 12-07-2007, 02:51 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,975,128 times
Quote:
That was tobacco in their peace pipes?
Boy did I have the wrong idea!

M.
I wouldn't worry about it. Most Okies are not aware of lots of this stuff.

Native Tobacco (not too sure about the hybrids used by RJR and their friends) has a very powerful spirit. More than sweetgrass or white sage. RB probably knows more than I do, but when an aunt asked me to help make a spirit tree for Peltier she imported some native tobacco from New Mexico, and commented that she regretted not having any from Oklahoma, as it would then have local spirits. But it seems the New Mexico spirits did well.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Aww! C'mon now! We gotta have a LITTLE fun you know... you didn't think we'd tell you EVERYTHING did you?? That's half the fun of being the *newbie* in town... when you say something stupid and you get that look from one of the old timers that says "Ya ain't from around here are ya?"
I've survived enough culture-shock in my time...
Wouldn't it make you feel better if my transition to Okie went easier?

M.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Most Okies are not aware of lots of this stuff.
Yeah, but a dope like me needs a head start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Native Tobacco (not too sure about the hybrids used by RJR and their friends) has a very powerful spirit. More than sweetgrass or white sage. RB probably knows more than I do, but when an aunt asked me to help make a spirit tree for Peltier she imported some native tobacco from New Mexico, and commented that she regretted not having any from Oklahoma, as it would then have local spirits. But it seems the New Mexico spirits did well.
I'm in the process of quitting... I went from 3 packs a day (The technician's dosage) to just under a pack a day... In fact, I haven't had a cigarette in a couple of months now... I smoke these cheap "little cigars"... And trust me... They have NO spirit whatsoever.
They'll make it a LOT easier to quit!

How well does tobacco grow in OK?
(Not that I plan to be smoking when I get there.)
I bet it's better than the cr*p I buy from "Corporate America".

I don't know that I'd ever consider tobacco to be spiritual,
but if I used it that way, it would be a lot easier to kick the habit and enjoy it for what it is.

Are you SURE that was "tobacco" in those peace pipes?
If you say yes, everything I ever learned would be wrong...
(Not that I'd be surprised... I had a public school education.)

What's your take on it RB?

M.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:39 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,616,597 times
I have tried the little cigars, pipe tobacco, the chewing gum, everything. It is easy to quit, I've done it a thousand times.

I don't know if tobacco grows in Oklahoma or not. I have never seen any seed for sale. It would be fun to try.

I always thought it was tobacco in the peace pipes.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:43 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,528,545 times
Quote:
I don't know that I'd ever consider tobacco to be spiritual, M.
To the Native Peoples, every plant, rock, and stream has a spirit, much like you have a soul.

I took a trip to Pipestone, MN back in my younger days. It was fascinating to learn of all the tribes who would journey there to gather the red stone used in making pipes.

We, *meaning Natives, don't joke about what goes in a pipe, because the pipe is such an integral part of prayer. (Actually, I think it was a mixture and all tribes have their own mixtures.)

So, WATCH IT paleface!! Or your scalp will look might purdy hanging on the radio antenna of my one eyed Ford.

Tobacco is still used in healing ceremonies. There is great reverence amongst our People in how we offer tobacco to the spirits.

ComputerGuy, maybe you can google Pipestone, MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma