Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:21 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,401,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I would never pick that area, around Durant, myself. Maybe it was just the people I knew there. Some of them, not all. There were some educated people there, but too many of them took some kind of pride in being uneducated.

If I ever hear the expression again, "He is so dumb, he thinks peanuts grow on top of the ground," I will scream.
So what you're saying is.... Is that I wouldn't "feel t' home thar"?
(And be serious, I'm an outlander, and I might believe you.)

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:44 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
So what you're saying is.... Is that I wouldn't "feel t' home thar"?
(And be serious, I'm an outlander, and I might believe you.)

M.
I wouldn't pick that area, if I had a choice. I wouldn't recommend the area to you. I will correct myself, I was thinking about Bryan and Marshall counties. They are really south central, around Lake Texoma.

Some people might post on this forum that they are moving there to take a new job, though. If you had to go live there, it wouldn't be that horrible. You can pick your friends. Plus, new people live there now.

I was a teacher at the time, and the anti-education attitude really bothered me.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't pick that area, if I had a choice. I wouldn't recommend the area to you. I will correct myself, I was thinking about Bryan and Marshall counties. They are really south central, around Lake Texoma.

Some people might post on this forum that they are moving there to take a new job, though. If you had to go live there, it wouldn't be that horrible. You can pick your friends. Plus, new people live there now.

I was a teacher at the time, and the anti-education attitude really bothered me.
Your word is good enough for me...
Thanks!

M.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Quote:
I would never pick that area, around Durant, myself. Maybe it was just the people I knew there. Some of them, not all. There were some educated people there, but too many of them took some kind of pride in being uneducated.

If I ever hear the expression again, "He is so dumb, he thinks peanuts grow on top of the ground," I will scream.
Peggy, It's a good thing I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that or I would be needing a new keyboard about now. My hubby's family (on his Father's side) are all from Durant. Wonderful people and I will cherish them till the day I die... but I do know what you mean. Where's that rep button? I'm still giggling...

Old 12-08-2007, 03:27 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I remember living in the panhandle of Florida and people there prided themselves for not getting an education. We were in the process of buying a home, and I had this dreadful feeling that I would be stuck with these people the rest of my life. We finally talked it over and moved to Texas.

I like being in a college town like Tahlequah because education is something that people here at least think about, although a teacher told me that it is hard getting the kids interested in it. I understand we had two great bookstores at one time, but they closed due to a lack of interest. Maybe because people used amazon.com instead. But all in all people here seem pretty intelligent even without a college education. It is not even close to the panhandle of Florida. And the Tahlequah Daily News gets pretty interesting at times because they have a great diverse staff that is open minded. It is different than most newspapers that I have come across, not to mention less crime being committed.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:35 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
People around me now are interested in getting the kids a good education. They might not have a college degree, but they seem informed about the world. People can educate themselves by reading a book.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:50 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
People around me now are interested in getting the kids a good education. They might not have a college degree, but they seem informed about the world. People can educate themselves by reading a book.
Yep! You don't have to go to school to be educated, for sure. It helps to have some discipline but if you are a seeker of knowledge, that's all that matters.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:07 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I always felt that a college education couldn't help you survive in the wilderness if you needed to, which is why I have always admired the Appalachians. I love those Foxfire books as well. So much for a college education then.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Roger Millers' from Oklahoma?
He was born in Fort Worth but his mom died when he was 1 year old and he was raised in Erick, Oklahoma, which is wayyyy out in Western Oklahoma near the panhandle of Texas.. I
love this song.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:16 PM

I learned more after college.

M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma