U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2014, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Jenks, Ok
926 posts, read 1,523,492 times
Reputation: 959

Advertisements

The city is named that because the original name of Tinker was the Midwest Air Depot. So someone thought Oklahoma was Midwest, even back during WWII.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2014, 10:59 PM
 
1,359 posts, read 4,569,168 times
Reputation: 772
I've always found it interesting that Oklahoma has never been lumped in with the southern states when the government determined what states go into which district for the Federal Court of Appeals. They were with some of the Midwestern states at statehood then a few years later the 10th was created for Oklahoma, Kansas, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. Guess no one back then really connected them enough with the Southern states to consider putting them there [unlike Texas.]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2014, 11:09 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,482 posts, read 8,284,238 times
Reputation: 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I wonder how he and BassandCatfish feel about OKC having a suburb called Midwest City?
Yeh, knowing that Midwest City is the bastion of all things Midwest, I was shocked to hear lots of Okie twangs (still do to this day), except from some of the transplants at the base.

For Midwesterners, those Midwest City folks sure sound a whole lot like Okies!

Kinda like all those "Midwesterners" (ahem, Texans) who go to Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas.

EDIT:
BTW, congrats on the weight loss (seriously)! I'm guessing you're eating more "Midwestern" foods and not the typical Southern Fried stuff found in Oklahoma.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 3,768,180 times
Reputation: 2412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yeh, knowing that Midwest City is the bastion of all things Midwest, I was shocked to hear lots of Okie twangs (still do to this day), except from some of the transplants at the base.

For Midwesterners, those Midwest City folks sure sound a whole lot like Okies!

Kinda like all those "Midwesterners" (ahem, Texans) who go to Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas.

EDIT:
BTW, congrats on the weight loss (seriously)! I'm guessing you're eating more "Midwestern" foods and not the typical Southern Fried stuff found in Oklahoma.
Thanks Bass&Catfish, I have been eating a lot of chicken and salad. No dairy, bread or sugar at all nothing fried. Been doing a ton a walking and hiking around lake Eufaula. Been down here helping my folks with their farm until I get back to work. If I have to eat something off my diet I eat a very small portion. We had liver and onions the others night. That is one meal there is no way I'm going to pass up! I love it as much as steak, so I ate about a third of what I normally have.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 03:46 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,482 posts, read 8,284,238 times
Reputation: 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Thanks Bass&Catfish, I have been eating a lot of chicken and salad. No dairy, bread or sugar at all nothing fried. Been doing a ton a walking and hiking around lake Eufaula. Been down here helping my folks with their farm until I get back to work. If I have to eat something off my diet I eat a very small portion. We had liver and onions the others night. That is one meal there is no way I'm going to pass up! I love it as much as steak, so I ate about a third of what I normally have.
Amen on the no dairy. That one was hard for me to give up. I used to love my chocolate shakes made extra thin at Del Rancho. I'd also get an ice cold glass of milk and dried cherries before bed, no more of that either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 04:27 PM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,981,196 times
Reputation: 11766
I don't think my mama knew which states were deemed in a certain category one way or another. The wife of one of the men in my dad's office was from Chicago and mama said the reason that wife talked so loud was because she was from up north in Chicago and everyone up there talked like that. Mama was never in Chicago or anywhere near there, since her desires didn't include travel, but she wanted her offspring to see as much of the world as possible. Seems like I've written this before. If so, looks like I'm writing it again. lol

Yep, Chicago is Midwest, Oklahoma is not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 08:57 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,482 posts, read 8,284,238 times
Reputation: 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I don't think my mama knew which states were deemed in a certain category one way or another. The wife of one of the men in my dad's office was from Chicago and mama said the reason that wife talked so loud was because she was from up north in Chicago and everyone up there talked like that. Mama was never in Chicago or anywhere near there, since her desires didn't include travel, but she wanted her offspring to see as much of the world as possible. Seems like I've written this before. If so, looks like I'm writing it again. lol

Yep, Chicago is Midwest, Oklahoma is not.


As usual, true on all fronts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Muncie, IN
588 posts, read 1,174,141 times
Reputation: 506
We so Midwest we named a city after it. Embrace our Midwesterness bass and John!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 03:48 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,482 posts, read 8,284,238 times
Reputation: 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
We so Midwest we named a city after it. Embrace our Midwesterness bass and John!
Ha!

Apparently there are many others that need to embrace it too---here on this forum as well as throughout our actual state population.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 10:17 AM
 
32,845 posts, read 18,649,692 times
Reputation: 35618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I don't think my mama knew which states were deemed in a certain category one way or another. The wife of one of the men in my dad's office was from Chicago and mama said the reason that wife talked so loud was because she was from up north in Chicago and everyone up there talked like that. Mama was never in Chicago or anywhere near there, since her desires didn't include travel, but she wanted her offspring to see as much of the world as possible. Seems like I've written this before. If so, looks like I'm writing it again. lol

Yep, Chicago is Midwest, Oklahoma is not.
Agreed.

And your Momma was a wise woman.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top