U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,483 posts, read 8,235,601 times
Reputation: 3167

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Agreed.

And your Momma was a wise woman.
And there's a wisdom about you too, Friend. I've always appreciated your balance.

Too bad the same is obviously not true of me.
(*everyone on OK's City-Data Forum just shouted an "Amen" in unison*)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2014, 08:40 AM
 
5,003 posts, read 14,358,617 times
Reputation: 2474
Being from the Bay Area of Ca., I have to agree with everyone here. Unless you are interested in sociology, and want to write a book on your experiences, I would not move to a town where you won't fit in. Ardmore is too far away from you to get any of the benefits of a larger town.

We settled in Tahlequah, OK when we retired, and it was quite an adjustment. I found open-minded, educated people here, so I finally became to feel at home, but it took me 8 years. The reason it took so long to adjust was because I would hear racist remarks, not from the educated people, but from those in town that I would run into, and it got to me even though I didn't hear much of it. Then I was warned by some other people to not speak out because I would be ostracized. I did anyway, and that was when I finally felt comfortable, which means "comfortable in me." In a smaller town it probably wouldn't have worked because the entire town would hear about my comments.

We only have two book stores here; one is religions, and I really like the owners. But I buy all my books on line. We have a great library, but often they don’t carry the kind of books I read and I don’t want to order out of State.

If you like to travel there isn't much to see in OK. I think I have seen it all and that was that. It is really a beautiful State and for outdoors people, and as you get older you begin to appreciate this. But I really like Guthrie, OK and Eureka Springs, AR. which are more my type of cities.

I would at least pick a job where they have a Unitarian Church because many of them share your beliefs, or I would pick a college town.

If you are young, taking that teaching job could be an interesting experience for you, but then in a few years you may wish to get a job elsewhere. I remember when we lived in the Florida panhandle we met a teacher who sat down on the bank a river with us in order to visit. He was so excited to be talking to educated people, and yet, we were not what I would call “intellectuals.” But he was lonesome and wanted to talk about something other than hunting, fishing, or Jesus. We did too, so we moved after 9 months.

Now you may have some old hippies there that are open minded, but it may not be easy to find them. Seems like some picked Tahlequah, and while that is nice, I only know of a few.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
22,203 posts, read 15,807,953 times
Reputation: 6796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I would at least pick a job where they have a Unitarian Church because many of them share your beliefs, or I would pick a college town.
You get both in Stillwater. It has a Unitarian church and is a college town. And has a strong economy with a thriving downtown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 04:21 PM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,907,695 times
Reputation: 11761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Being from the Bay Area of Ca., I have to agree with everyone here. Unless you are interested in sociology, and want to write a book on your experiences, I would not move to a town where you won't fit in. Ardmore is too far away from you to get any of the benefits of a larger town.

We settled in Tahlequah, OK when we retired, and it was quite an adjustment. I found open-minded, educated people here, so I finally became to feel at home, but it took me 8 years. The reason it took so long to adjust was because I would hear racist remarks, not from the educated people, but from those in town that I would run into, and it got to me even though I didn't hear much of it. Then I was warned by some other people to not speak out because I would be ostracized. I did anyway, and that was when I finally felt comfortable, which means "comfortable in me." In a smaller town it probably wouldn't have worked because the entire town would hear about my comments.

We only have two book stores here; one is religions, and I really like the owners. But I buy all my books on line. We have a great library, but often they don’t carry the kind of books I read and I don’t want to order out of State.

If you like to travel there isn't much to see in OK. I think I have seen it all and that was that. It is really a beautiful State and for outdoors people, and as you get older you begin to appreciate this. But I really like Guthrie, OK and Eureka Springs, AR. which are more my type of cities.

I would at least pick a job where they have a Unitarian Church because many of them share your beliefs, or I would pick a college town.

If you are young, taking that teaching job could be an interesting experience for you, but then in a few years you may wish to get a job elsewhere. I remember when we lived in the Florida panhandle we met a teacher who sat down on the bank a river with us in order to visit. He was so excited to be talking to educated people, and yet, we were not what I would call “intellectuals.” But he was lonesome and wanted to talk about something other than hunting, fishing, or Jesus. We did too, so we moved after 9 months.

Now you may have some old hippies there that are open minded, but it may not be easy to find them. Seems like some picked Tahlequah, and while that is nice, I only know of a few.
When my mother broke her hip and had been in Muskogee a few years, I came here from Oklahoma City. It wasn't long before I knew I liked Tahlequah. One of my granddaughters did all her higher education there and doesn't ever want to leave. I also like university towns. I spent 2 hours at the dentist this morning. My mouth is still numb and I have to drive to Tahlequah in the morning. grrr
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 04:13 PM
 
5,003 posts, read 14,358,617 times
Reputation: 2474
i have yet to visit Stillwater, but it is on my list of things to do.

I love college towns too Rubi. The first one I lived in was when I was 29, and that was Berkeley, CA. Loved it. Of course college years are always remembered as being some of the best years, that is, for many people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Jenks, Ok
917 posts, read 1,508,607 times
Reputation: 950
All Souls in Tulsa is the largest Unitarian church in the country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2014, 03:39 PM
 
5,003 posts, read 14,358,617 times
Reputation: 2474
I have heard that Swake but have never been there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2014, 03:53 PM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,907,695 times
Reputation: 11761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
i have yet to visit Stillwater, but it is on my list of things to do.

I love college towns too Rubi. The first one I lived in was when I was 29, and that was Berkeley, CA. Loved it. Of course college years are always remembered as being some of the best years, that is, for many people.
I did all my BFA work at OSU, in Stillwater, but lived in Perry... commuting to Stillwater. I enjoy the feel of university towns and make a point of checking them out when the opportunity presents. When I visited Scotland and spent 2 weeks in St Andrews I often walked by a sign by a door marked Art Department. One day decided to go in and asked the woman at the desk if I could visit one of the studios? She said, "Oh, we don't DO art here, we study art." So, that took care of that. LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 01:03 AM
 
Location: Crappyville,PA
404 posts, read 336,762 times
Reputation: 561
I grew up just south of Philly (Chester, PA), and did my annual snowbirding in McAlester, OK a couple of years ago. It wasn't bad, winter was mild by PA standards, cost of living was cheaper. It is very conservative. Church is a key ingredient to many people there. It seemed to be very over policed. There is none of the food options that you are used to. The people are friendly for the most part, I seemed to connect with the local Choctaw community more than anyone else. If the amenities you are used to in Philly are important to you, you will be greatly disappointed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 06:27 PM
 
12,178 posts, read 11,453,908 times
Reputation: 4875
Several years ago a county official from McCURTAIN Cty told me that some residents had never been out of the county!

It trickles northward.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top