U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 11:43 PM

20,548 posts, read 15,257,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Several years ago a county official from McCURTAIN Cty told me that some residents had never been out of the county!

It trickles northward.
LOL, My friend who is from Jackson County said the very same thing about Jackson County. I couldn't live that isolated. I'd eventually have to go venture to see what's on the other side of hill.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
I grew up just south of Philly (Chester, PA), and did my annual snowbirding in McAlester, OK a couple of years ago. It wasn't bad, winter was mild by PA standards, cost of living was cheaper. It is very conservative. Church is a key ingredient to many people there. It seemed to be very over policed. There is none of the food options that you are used to. The people are friendly for the most part, I seemed to connect with the local Choctaw community more than anyone else. If the amenities you are used to in Philly are important to you, you will be greatly disappointed.
Well, at least, McAllester is kinda big for an Oklahoma town, so you get a little more than Wal-Mart, like Lowe's and some more chain restaurants and fast foods. And liquor by the drink is legal, except on Sunday.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:37 AM

5,468 posts, read 8,155,629 times
Idabel is the gateway town to the Deep South as you keep moving east.

Most of Oklahoma is the Southwest but Idabel and over to Hugo is undeniably the South.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:19 AM

908 posts, read 396,769 times
SWLA here. I know nothing about SE OK. But we've been there few years back. Main base was Hugo. Wife never been and she always wanted to go. I told her about the area when I went many moons ago for my uncles funeral. We went to Mt. Olivet and found his grave, walked around the Showmans Rest. I think it was called that... We were there for about 4 days. But I am always looking for a place to settle to. We're both sick of Louisiana. What I really enjoyed was the close knit community. From what we saw, that is. I think just about all the locals would go to Angies Diner. Now that place had some great food. I'm wanting to go back. Loved the hills. Went around to Ardmore, Durant, Antlers. Small towns. Something we like. Also the hills and mountains to the north. Then came on through to Idabell. We could see us living in that area.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddhanks View Post
SWLA here. I know nothing about SE OK. But we've been there few years back. Main base was Hugo. Wife never been and she always wanted to go. I told her about the area when I went many moons ago for my uncles funeral. We went to Mt. Olivet and found his grave, walked around the Showmans Rest. I think it was called that... We were there for about 4 days. But I am always looking for a place to settle to. We're both sick of Louisiana. What I really enjoyed was the close knit community. From what we saw, that is. I think just about all the locals would go to Angies Diner. Now that place had some great food. I'm wanting to go back. Loved the hills. Went around to Ardmore, Durant, Antlers. Small towns. Something we like. Also the hills and mountains to the north. Then came on through to Idabell. We could see us living in that area.
I didn't know an Oklahoma town could look so run down as Idabel did when I drove through it over 10 years ago. Paint had weathered off a number of buildings, so it was just old bare wood left to slowly weather away. Haven't been back since. Maybe the town looks better after 10 years. Poteau looked less run down and has a big hill just outside of town for scenery.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:30 PM

10,443 posts, read 7,716,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I didn't know an Oklahoma town could look so run down as Idabel did when I drove through it over 10 years ago. Paint had weathered off a number of buildings, so it was just old bare wood left to slowly weather away. Haven't been back since. Maybe the town looks better after 10 years. Poteau looked less run down and has a big hill just outside of town for scenery.
I have lived in Poteau and have been to Idabel numerous times. I really don't think they are that much worse than a lot of other towns in Oklahoma. Idabel is quite nice over by the hospital/high school/golf course.

In town Poteau is of kind ratty but the part of town between the high school and the bypass is quite nice. There are some spectacular houses up on the hill with incredible views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma