Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 04:04 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Those crows are really smart. We move the cannons around, but there are lots of pecan trees around that nobody is protecting, so it is easier for them to just go over there.
Maybe you need LOTS of grandchildren with shotguns?...

Quote:
Being retired is a lot more work than you think.
I'm NOT one to argue with one "older and wiser"..
(I learned better!)

Quote:
I am mostly chief whip-cracker, complainer
I hear you... It's tough to be the one "in charge".
(Don't laugh until YOU'VE been there!)

Quote:
and gopher.
See? the one "In Charge" gets all the REALLY dirty work.!

Quote:
It is fun to raise stuff, and I like raising the pecans and hay rather than the cute little animals I get all attached to.
Yeah, I'd have a hard time killing animals I'd raised too...
But ("Biblically, I'm allowed to...)

Quote:
We will take them to Shawnee or to Bristow, whichever one gives us the best price. We are really just hoping to break even. The labor costs eat you up. But, America needs pecans! It makes me feel kind of patriotic.
We DO need farms, and farm foods...
(Even more than most folk know...)

Although MY father HATED "the farm", they ARE needed to feed us, more than most of us know... Without them, we'd ALL be dust! (No kidding!)
Pecans or beef!
(Just so y'all know!)

And YES, there ARE MANY who have NO clue.
(But that's their problem!)

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 04:32 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Life on the farm used to be much harder than it is now. Now we have electricity, tractors, rural water, and pretty decent roads. We don't have to ride the horse to get to town anymore. I didn't grow up on a farm, so I didn't know the hard times.

We don't want to get to the point that all our food comes from other countries. Talk about national security problems. We seem to be going down that road, though.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:05 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
The Dust Bowls back

Great pictures Peggy.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:44 PM

402 posts, read 1,061,252 times
Pecans, one more reason for loving Oklahoma. We used to pick up black walnut somewhere in Eastern Oklahoma when I was a kid. They taste so good It is just so hard to get the meat out. I have some whole Walnut shells and some the Squirrels chewed the meat out of. My mom brought them out to CA back in the 50's.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:08 PM

Mk, yes the dust bowl is back **cough**

Choctaw, we have a few black walnuts but I can't crack them at all. Maybe I should try a big rock?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:46 AM

402 posts, read 1,061,252 times
We used a hammer and a hard surface (like a brick) to crack them, Then used nut picks to dig the meats out. Sometimes we'd get enough to add to a freezer of ice cream. Problem with that method is a Lot of smashed fingers.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Great photos. I want a pecan bag shirt. Wnat a flour sack one too, but don't see that happening either.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:54 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
Life on the farm used to be much harder than it is now. Now we have electricity, tractors, rural water, and pretty decent roads. We don't have to ride the horse to get to town anymore. I didn't grow up on a farm, so I didn't know the hard times.

We don't want to get to the point that all our food comes from other countries. Talk about national security problems. We seem to be going down that road, though.
Peggy, you were my hero before because of the Creek language classes and your horses. Now I find out you are responsible for my (much loved) pecan pie!

Yes, we've grown so "money" oriented as a nation that we're losing what our forefathers (and mothers) worked so hard to create. A place to take care of ourselves, not rely on the government or (gulp) other countries. Sometimes my kids accuse me of being "the end is near" type, but I really want them both to learn how to take care of themselves. No government hand outs, or "assistance". Grow some of your own food, work on your own house and take care of yourself. When it all comes tumbling down (and it will -- just look at Katrina), you'll be ready to do what you need to do. -- Okay, off my soap box now.

And yes, getting our food from other countires is a major security risk that the government (who is busy grabbing our hard earned dollars with one hand and giving it away with the other) overlooks. Didn't I say I was off my soapbox? What happened?

Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 AM

Well, I wish we would quit covering the farmland with houses.

It bothers me that you don't know where your meat/produce is raised. You don't know if you are buying shrimp from USA waters or Chinese or Vietnamese. I guess if it is cheap, it is not from the USA.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:00 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
I heard yesterday that most medicines are made outside of the USA as well. The active ingredient in many of the strong antibiotics, such as CIPRO and others is made in China.

We're a nation of web-developers and business analysts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma