Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 04:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
D'ohhh!

Thankee kindly, teakboat!

Goodpasture, you rock! But we still want pics!

Aaaaaaaaayeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 04:07 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

Aaaaaaaaayeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
About a month ago, someone asked me a question at work and I replied, "You bet". I LOL'd at that one. I said OMG, it's happenned!

Old 06-25-2014, 06:19 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
I grew up moving all over the country. People often ask if I was a military kid, but while my father served in the Navy during Korea, he was out of the service by the time I came along. He was a college prof. He just had the gypsy wanderlust spirit, which I inherited in spades. When I got out on my own I never stayed put either.

I've never lived in the same house more than two and a half years my entire life. This is still the case in fact. Most of those moves were to different cities or states. I've lived in 13 states, spent significant time in many others, have been to 46 of the United States all told, and I've traveled around Canada and Mexico pretty extensively. I've also visited Romania, Hungary, the Czech Republic with little stays in England, Holland and Slovakia (where I was nearly stranded at a train station without my passport. Yeesh.)

But to tell the truth, I'm a bit tired of it. I have spent time in Oklahoma off and on my whole life and came back at the end of 2012 after several years in Virginia, New York and Oregon.

I am glad to be home. There is much I love about Oklahoma. My wife shares my love of new places and experiences, but we hope to buy our first home here soon and settle in.

Of course, that's not to say we won't continue to take vacations and see new places. We'll just (hopefully) have a permanent home base in the great state of Oklahoma.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:38 PM

81 posts, read 293,332 times
Born in Oklahoma, Altus Air Base and from there I have been what feels like just about everywhere.

Went to the Grand Canyon when I was a young kid, so young I don't remember it - only in pictures do I know I was there.
Lived in Missouri for a few years as a kid (Cuba and Leasburg, went to Bourbon Public School) - Got to love the names there.
Visited California when I was kid. Disneyland back then you had to buy tickets to ride the rides.

Joined the Army and that is when I got to see the world.
Stationed at Ft. Polk La for a year.
Camp Casey South Korea for another year and while there;
- Attended events at the 1988 Olympics while there
- Spent 72 days looking at North Korea while on the DMZ.
- Took MAC flight from Tinker Air Base, to Norton Air Base California, to Hawaii, to Guam, to Philppines, to Japan and then Korea (All while on a C-130 transport plane)
Fort Knox, Kentucky for another year.
- Lived on post behind the Gold Vault.
Berlin Germany for three years. This was when "The Wall" was coming down.
While in Germany;
- I Was able to go into East Germany before the reunification happened.
- Went to Poland on certain weekends for different types of Markets they had.
- Sent to Desert Storm (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, United Arab Emirates).
- Went to Italy (Venice and Vicenza) for softball tournament.
- Re-enlisted infront of the Brandenburg Gate.
Fort Riley Kansas for my last two years in Army. While there visited Nebraska, South and North Dakota during winter months (Big mistake - freaking cold)

Visit DFW area alot due to family there.
Drove to Minnesota for a weekend get away. That was interesting and long drive.
Drove to Phoenix Az for Insight Bowl game (OU vs. Iowa), that was really cool road trip with son.
Spent 7 days in St. Lucia at All-Inclusive resort in 09, that was great.
Drove to Disney World last year with twin 5 year olds, that was pretty fun road trip.
Up next is another All-Inclusive Resort in Ocho Rios Jamaica in October.

No matter where I go, I always seem to come back home to where my roots have been firmly planted and I could never see myself calling anywhere else home but Oklahoma!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 PM

653 posts, read 1,785,845 times
I can say I've been to all 50 states, roughly half of Canada.. and I finally made it to Greece and Italy .. and two airports in Germany in 2008. I have lived here in Oklahoma steadily since 2001 but have owned property here since '96 when we originally moved to Piedmont.

Your reading a post from a guy who truly has the travel bug.. but finances, work and a wife who has health issues and is not much into travel anyway has precluded me from satisfying my craving for adventure. I'm pretty much resigned to the reality that this may be where we settle permanently, but being cemented here with little time for travel is NO option.

Some of the places I really want to go to is Norway, Holland, the U.K .. Iceland! Then there is the south pacific, Tahiti and Bora Bora, followed by Australia. There are others.. I miss Canada big time as I have spent much time there, especially in Thunder Bay and Toronto. Here in the states.. Washington, Colorado and Maine are my favorite states.

Next week.. I start a 10 day vacation to Florida to see my youngest grandchild, hang out with my two oldest kids.. visit a few friends, one of which has terminal cancer.. and hopefully photograph a storm or two (I'm a veteran storm chaser of 35+ years). This trip is needed. I'm so ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma