Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times

Advertisements

Some people care nothing about traveling and seeing what's beyond the borders, but I enjoy going to other places whenever the opportunity presents or even making the opportunity. My son has no desire to go anywhere outside of Oklahoma, but my daughter has the traveling gene. At one time my son's job required a trip to Houston every month and he hated it. When he was growing up he was taken many places, but other than his job the only time he's ventured anywhere was he and a girlfriend going to Las Vegas. I'm sure it was her idea. lol One of my brothers was stationed in Germany for 16 years, off and on, so I went over there twice and once stayed several months taking advantage of the trips available to servicemen, their family and any blood relative.

In the Michigan forum there's a post about so many never leaving the state and that's what caused me to wonder about Oklahomans. So what about you? Have you been out of the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 03:10 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I lived in OK many years. I explored a lot of the SW MO, NW AR, and eastern half of OK because it was close. Some of my favorite places were Palo Duro Canyon, Texas, Door County, the thumb of Wisconsin, Hot Springs and War Eagle Mill in Arkansas, The Gulf Coast, Natchitoches, the tiny town of St. Francisville, and the America Rose Center Gardens outside of Shreveport; all are in Louisiana. The White Sands National Park, Ellephant Butte, Ruidosa Tucumcari, and Carlsbad, in New Mexico. Toured Thunder Bay, Lake Michigan, Canada, and locked thru Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan before retuning home. I love Palm Springs and the ocean, but I am no fan of the desert or mountains. I like the winery at St.James, the City of Mexico, the Historic District in Louisiana and the old German architecture in Hermann, Missouri. I've driven on the some of the worst roads in North America in Mexico. I like the fact I can buy a quart of pure dark or white vanilla extract for less than five bucks at the liquor store. Only non-alcoholic products are in grocery stores.

I been in earthquakes, sand storms, 18" snow storms, hail storms, and tornadoes, and I've stood on the Continental Divide. America the Beautiful. The best way to see and experience it is by car on byways and not on the Interstate. It is amazing what one can learn about our country. Griggsville, Illinois is a Martin Bird House town; it's awesome little wide sport on a country road. Not too far way is the largest inland wetlands refuge in America that is very near the Illinois State Museum of Dickson Mounds which has Native America relics from the Mound Builders era.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:50 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Default Native Oklahoman

I'm born and breed Oklahoman traveled to just about all 50 states , and a few foreign countries...

I'm a veteran of two Military Services and took advantage of the Military Hop's afforded us service
men. As a matter of fact I remember taking a Military Hop on a Marine Corp Airplane that didn't
even have any seat's you had to strap yourself to the wall/floor of the Airplane Gung Ho......Men
those U.S. Marine are ( landed in El Toro Marine Air Station ) and a complete stranger Marine invited
me over to Dinner with he and his wife , and after dinner took me to March Air force Base where I took another Military Hop out to a Air Force Base in Florida Homestead I believe ( and this stand up Marine wouldn't even take any GAS Money from me ) he drove a U.S. Coast Guard Men from Orange County California to San Bernardino California for free I respect the United State Marine Corp can you tell....

I do most of my traveling as a civilian and via Road Trips the Automobile can't be beat , but I plan on transferring over to TRAINS they are so romanic and you get to see the country without the work of driving........

Military Hop's
http://www7.buyerpricer.com/landing....=&param3=&vx=0

Old 06-21-2014, 08:32 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Did someone mention Palo Duro? I love that place! I have relations who have not left the state.

I have lived in Canyon, TX, CA, KS. I have driven through all the states east of the Mississippi except North Dakota.

I also have the traveling bug. We don't do anything fancy or too touristy, but we enjoy ourselves.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:25 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,931 times
I'm guessing you must have meant to say west of the Mississippi.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
I don't travel all that much..........only been around the world twice.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:49 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
I'm guessing you must have meant to say west of the Mississippi.
D'ohhh!

Thankee kindly, teakboat!

Goodpasture, you rock! But we still want pics!

Old 06-21-2014, 02:42 PM

Hey! Goodpasture, we not only want pictures, we want details!

Old 06-21-2014, 02:59 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
That be me. I visited in late spring when it was cool and void of tourists. It's beautiful. I even met a TX Roadrunner! He stayed long enough so we could admire him. Poof! It was gone.

Of all the place I have visited I like NE OK best. The OK/AR/MO border is filled with Civil War history, mountains, Indian history, lush botanical gardens, great camping sites, awesome natural scenery, good fishing and boating, and the opportunity to explore and learn. Most of the places I list in the forums are free or very low cost.

I am not a tourist; I like byways not national highways. I won't spend $50 for any venue. The only touristy place I ever really enjoyed was Chinatown in Chicago because behind all the tourist traps is a real city with the church, druggist, bank, grocer and really awesome food that is reasonably priced.

I love Texas FTM that avoid the loop and traffic in DFW. I drove from NOLA to SoCal one year. I did not think TX would ever end. I like the northern route better; it's shorter. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Did someone mention Palo Duro? I love that place! I have relations who have not left the state.

I also have the traveling bug. We don't do anything fancy or too touristy, but we enjoy ourselves.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:01 PM

The best part of such threads is reading about places I've never heard of. There are plenty of places in Oklahoma I've never been and, of course even more in other states. Looked up Palo Duro Canyon and there are gorgeous photos, which will probably have to be all I see, but very interesting to look at.

In the early days, I would save, save, save for a vacation, then when we hit the road, funds were managed with an iron hand. So much for this, so much for that. I didn't intend for money to run out before time to return home. There was a set amount to spend each day. My brother and his wife ran out of money except for gasoline once when they were in Baltimore en route to Oklahoma. Fifty cents for food all the way home. It wasn't going to happen to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma