U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 04:51 PM

839 posts, read 3,203,524 times

Advertisements

The question for drillers: What to do with all that wastewater? The answer: Inject it back into the ground.

Drillers transport water to “injection wells,” which use high pressure to send it thousands of feet below the earth’s surface. As more of that water was injected into the ground, the pressure built.

So the water is causing earthquakes?

No. Water is the trigger. Fault lines cause earthquakes, according to Jeremy Boak who received his doctorate in geological sciences from Harvard University. He is the director of the Oklahoma Geological Survey, a state-funded organization that studies earthquakes and is headquartered on the University of Oklahoma’s Norman campus.

Read the whole article: here
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 10:24 PM

22,508 posts, read 15,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post
I spoke with a friend from PA who said:

Chesapeake and other companies started fracking in PA., NY, WVA., and other places in the Northeast long before Oklahoma. We started having earthquakes up here and the state governments started making them shut down the disposal wells again, before they started it in Oklahoma. Because they were being squeezed so hard out of the Northeast, they started it in Oklahoma.

Oklahomans need to take a stand and speak up loud and clear, en mass. If you don't make your voices heard it will only get worse.
It's already gotten worse since the 2011, 5.6 Prague earthquake. It was a wake-up call hardly anybody woke up to, especially at the Oklahoma Corporation Commission. Still no widespread shutdown of injection wells in the state. Injection wells are only shut down very near the centers of unusually strong earthquakes. After what happened in Cushing, you'd think people would demand all injection wells shut down around much bigger cities, such as Stillwater and Enid. But I don't expect the state to do anything more, until the earthquakes can prove they can get strong enough to kill people caught in collapsing buildings. Until then, leadership at the State Capitol doesn't want to hurt the oil companies too much. They're already hurting bad enough, and the state of Oklahoma is in a recession.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:14 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's already gotten worse since the 2011, 5.6 Prague earthquake. It was a wake-up call hardly anybody woke up to, especially at the Oklahoma Corporation Commission. Still no widespread shutdown of injection wells in the state. Injection wells are only shut down very near the centers of unusually strong earthquakes. After what happened in Cushing, you'd think people would demand all injection wells shut down around much bigger cities, such as Stillwater and Enid. But I don't expect the state to do anything more, until the earthquakes can prove they can get strong enough to kill people caught in collapsing buildings. Until then, leadership at the State Capitol doesn't want to hurt the oil companies too much. They're already hurting bad enough, and the state of Oklahoma is in a recession.
But what of those of us who live here? Don't we deserve as much care as the oil giants?

My sil's house is more damage prone than mine with add ons. Each time we have a quake it shuffles the floor supports. Someone had to come out and fix them. I'm lucky mine is one foundation, but I notice the front half is tilting down more than it was before the quakes.

My son just moved, and after much consideration i talked with him about finding something near his new place in a different state. It would be nice if I could sell my current house, though it wouldn't make up entirely for the higher cost of living. But I seriously doubt I could sell it for much with all the quakes, and the potential for big one number next hanging over us. This area, people can't afford quake insurence. Regular will rise in price as well. All those 'small things' which can come to need fixing in a house are being worn out faster. Maybe the oil companies should offer to pay for everyone's insurence, including earthquake. Do we, the people who have to worry about the next one, and live with the results, matter as much as $$$oil companies?????

If the 'people in the state capital' don't want to hurt the companies too much, its too bad. Doesn't looking out for the physical well being of the state's citizens score higher than dollars for big buisness? What if the quakes collapse a building and lives are lost? Do they count?

Yes, I think people would demand all those wells be shut down if someone was listening to them, but should this become deadly, the state reps who didn't do anything would be just as responsibe as the oil companies and just as much at fault.

We can complain, and worry and so on, but the money is with big greed and that's what scores.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:55 PM

After government at the State Capitol failed to do enough to act, at least Pawnee citizens are doing something by filing a class-action lawsuit. The people in Cushing ought to do the same. The oil companies need to be stopped before the earthquakes get strong enough to start killing people, assuming it's not too late. As frightening to me as experiencing the rapid shaking from that 5.8 earthquake near Pawnee was to me, I don't want such strong earthquakes to come any closer.
Lawsuit filed over Pawnee earthquakes

Quote from story: "We have clients who don't allow their children to go upstairs because they're afraid the roof will fall in on them," said Curt Marshall, an attorney for the residents. "There's a lot of fear; when is the next big one?"

More: http://kfor.com/2016/11/18/homeowner...hquake-damage/

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 11-19-2016 at 12:21 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 11:52 AM

839 posts, read 3,203,524 times
StillwaterTownie,

Thanks for posting. I just came here to post what I saw in the Tulsa World about Pawnee residents filing the suit against 27 companies.

and in today's paper Pawnee Nation lawsuit asks that drilling permits be voided

Old 11-20-2016, 03:05 PM

Better hope the judge has personally experienced and was frightened by some of the earthquakes, so he will be less likely to throw out the lawsuit Pawnee residents filed. Only the success of such lawsuits is going to be able to shut down fracking in Oklahoma. Oil companies won't want to frack and the injection wells that come with it, if being held liable for causing earthquakes could bankrupt them.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:02 PM

And now there was last night's wakeup. Sufficent enough to knock off the power, the stronger of the two quakes was less than on kilometer from my house. I'm not sure how long a kilometer is, but that's TOO CLOSE. I've already decided to start looking elsewhere given the certainty of more often stronger quakes.

If I lived in California, even in an old building, your better off than here. When the San Andreas goes, building strength won't matter so much, but a five point quake shouldn't do more than knock things down and shake up people.

The politicans who disregard the safety of the citizens of this state and the oil execs who run the fraking should be sitting in court together facing a charge of negligance, and both should be out of a job.

All injection wells should be shut immediately, especially in any area with active quakes.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
And now there was last night's wakeup. Sufficient enough to knock off the power, the stronger of the two quakes was less than one kilometer from my house. I'm not sure how long a kilometer is, but that's TOO CLOSE. I've already decided to start looking elsewhere given the certainty of more often stronger quakes.

If I lived in California, even in an old building, your better off than here. When the San Andreas goes, building strength won't matter so much, but a five point quake shouldn't do more than knock things down and shake up people.

The politicans who disregard the safety of the citizens of this state and the oil execs who run the fraking should be sitting in court together facing a charge of negligance, and both should be out of a job.

All injection wells should be shut immediately, especially in any area with active quakes.
I agree with you, but maybe we should be careful what we wish for. While restricting or shutting down some of the wells apparently worked to significantly reduce frequency of earthquakes, some of them have become stronger this year.

Here's an interesting article from early this month. I didn't know oil companies weren't supposed to penetrate beyond the Arbuckle, but they did anyway with 1000 injection wells.

http://www.theclevelandamerican.com/...3723438048.txt

Old 11-24-2016, 02:26 AM

Oh, my, just sensed a very sudden and startling earthquake. At least it didn't last long. It sorta felt like traveling smoothly along in a jet plane and all of a sudden you hit a dip.

Update: It was gauged a 3.3, centered 8 miles northeast of Stillwater, early Thanksgiving morning. I thought it would be somewhat stronger than that. The quake comes from an area that has been active in the past and too close to Stillwater for comfort.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 11-24-2016 at 02:47 AM..

Old 11-24-2016, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Oh, my, just sensed a very sudden and startling earthquake. At least it didn't last long. It sorta felt like traveling smoothly along in a jet plane and all of a sudden you hit a dip.

Update: It was gauged a 3.3, centered 8 miles northeast of Stillwater, early Thanksgiving morning. I thought it would be somewhat stronger than that. The quake comes from an area that has been active in the past and too close to Stillwater for comfort.
Those little shakes are sometimes unnerving, especially when you can barely feel it. Was it a minor slip or a preshock? The thing I have noticed about these is they all seem to be slip faults, with that sudden jerk. Back in socal, they'd sometimes start that way, but mostly rocked back and forth. These feel like the earthquake god isn't in much of a good mood and is acting like it.

My sil said the neighbors across the street still own the houses, and are renting, but they're all empty. They've heard talk of a class action law suit on the behalf of property owners as its now proven the quakes were caused by the injection. My house is doing okay so far but my sil's house has more foundation problems. But how many shakings can 80some year old houses take?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma