Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:52 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'd love to see it. Somehow there is a smugness about her which really gripes me, and I didn't even know she'd had this tidbit of history. It really irks me when people fall off the truck and then get MORE smug about those who were never trying to get on it.
Unfortunately there's a long list of people with skeletons in their closet, who come off as hypocrites. Ted Haggard is one, so is Larry Craig. Both are adamantly against same-sex marriage and gay rights of any kind, but both were caught with male prostitutes. I even heard a funny quip about a state senator from Arizona named Karen Johnson, where the speaker said "she loves marriage so much, she's done it five times." In the end, I feel like the time and money spent on combating same-sex marriage could be better spent elsewhere, from veterans' affairs to education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 01:37 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
I wish I had had the foresight to set up an arbor outside the rainbow house in Topeka. Can you imagine the fun having a SSM wedding across the street from Westboro?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:28 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
same sex marriage is now legal in oklahoma! I think us and virginia are now the first southern states to have marriage equality. Congratulations oklahoma!
woohoo!!!!!

Old 10-10-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Gov. Fallin's response, no different than before:

“The people of Oklahoma have the right to determine how marriage is defined. In 2004, Oklahomans exercised that right, voting by a margin of 3-1 to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman.
No. It is nobody's business who you love and want to spend your life with.

I am not even touching the second part of that statement.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
And I can only pray she makes an official statement in support of her divorce and allegations of having an affair to complement her stance on preserving marriage.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Actually, it probably is. Reminds me of this video where a woman explains traditional marriage to people who claim to know the Bible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw
Brilliant!!

Old 10-10-2014, 07:46 AM

I was out of town on Monday when the news broke. Very dear friends of ours took advantage of this and got married. Wish I could have been there ........

Old 10-10-2014, 10:43 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times
Congratulations Oklahoma!

Old 10-10-2014, 11:39 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Brilliant!!
I think that video is brilliant, because it references a term I despise: traditional marriage. I can't stand that term because it's a political buzzword politicians, religions and PACs use to sucker people out of money. And I feel it doesn't take into consideration the evolution of language, namely the concepts behind words and terms. I also believe it implies a Eurocentric concept (even beyond Christendom) that is still untrue. I don't think a marriage in Ancient Greece had quite the same meaning today, and the six wives of Henry the VIII/reason for the foundation of the Church of England also suggest the concept of marriage shifted. We could also throw in the need for women to work traditionally male-dominated jobs during WWII and the subsequent rise of women out of homemaking and into the workplace, effectively changing marital and family structures in this country within the past 50 years. In modern times, I feel people are clinging to an ideal without understanding that "traditional marriage" is a catchy phrase someone invented, and it never really existed.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:02 AM

107 posts, read 122,717 times
Quote:
I think that video is brilliant, because it references a term I despise: traditional marriage. I can't stand that term because it's a political buzzword politicians, religions and PACs use to sucker people out of money. And I feel it doesn't take into consideration the evolution of language, namely the concepts behind words and terms. I also believe it implies a Eurocentric concept (even beyond Christendom) that is still untrue. I don't think a marriage in Ancient Greece had quite the same meaning today, and the six wives of Henry the VIII/reason for the foundation of the Church of England also suggest the concept of marriage shifted. We could also throw in the need for women to work traditionally male-dominated jobs during WWII and the subsequent rise of women out of homemaking and into the workplace, effectively changing marital and family structures in this country within the past 50 years. In modern times, I feel people are clinging to an ideal without understanding that "traditional marriage" is a catchy phrase someone invented, and it never really existed.
So how else would you propose to distinguish two types of marriages. Oh, that's right we are all equal now. One big happy family. Funny though, only one type can reproduce. Maybe the courts have equalized all of us but mother nature still rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma