Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:48 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times

Advertisements

Thank you all! I think I will do more research on the counties eddie mentioned and then visit in person. The logging roads sound appealing more than the "130 camp sites". What usually happens in these camps is you get a lot of people who have horses that are out of control and it is just one big mess, dogs running loose, horses bucking and running off, people screaming etc. I am trying to avoid all that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 02:52 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Thank you all! I think I will do more research on the counties eddie mentioned and then visit in person. The logging roads sound appealing more than the "130 camp sites". What usually happens in these camps is you get a lot of people who have horses that are out of control and it is just one big mess, dogs running loose, horses bucking and running off, people screaming etc. I am trying to avoid all that
Did want to mention that the private horse place in Talihina is in the same area as Cedar Lake Equestrian. It might be worth a look for a weekend trip and may be more suitable for you. (Horse Heaven Ranch).

Again, SE Oklahoma is the only part of the state that has a lot of public land available for access. Most of the rest of the state you will find yourself resigned to section line dirt roads, and SE Oklahoma is the one place where there is minimal population, cheap land and interesting terrain that you wouldn't be able to find in Texas.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:20 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times
Thanks eddie gein!

Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 PM

Location: Where deer are milk cows and hoot owls are chickens and near where Big Foot is occasionally seen.
105 posts, read 397,468 times
Horse Haven Ranch would be an ideal place to spend a few days to get a feel for the area down here in SE Oklahoma. As a comparison to what you have been looking at in the western states for riding land, there is around 50,000 acres of forest service land in this area and maybe 3 times that amount adjoining in western Arkansas. Sounds like a lot of public land to some people down here but it pales in comparison to the wide open spaces available in some western states. That being said, you will not find a cheaper place to live than here in SE Oklahoma. The horse camps are gaining in popularity and Hodgen can be crowded on some weekends. If you want to ride for three days and nary see a soul, you probably need to be west of Oklahoma. If you don't mind passing fellow horsemen now and then or the occasional backpacker plodding your trail, then this area might be alright with you. Come down and check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma