Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 02:02 PM

93 posts, read 200,069 times

Advertisements

My wife & I will be traveling to Tucson from NJ at the end of December this year. We will be coming across Rt. 40 and I would appreciate your feedback as to what kind of weather to expect at that time of year. Is snow a big issue or is the interstate pretty well maintained? Also how is the traffic around Oklahoma City? Any issues there or elsewhere? Thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 02:56 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
There have been times when an ice storm had us in its throes during the weekend before a new year. Other times it may be somewhat cold, but clear as can be. As the time for your trip approaches, possibly a forecast could be given. Right now, only guesswork.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:03 AM

Thanks Rubi. I'll keep watch.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 AM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
I used to travel from Tucson to NW OK every winter for the holidays, and still travel to the Phoenix area almost every year. I never had a problem on I-40 except 2011 when I-40 was closed near Albuquerque. Solution: the southern route through Las Cruces to Tucson and then to Phoenix. Wrong. I-10 was closed from Deming to Texas Canyon in AZ. Spent an extra day in LC. On the way back we went north through ABQ and it was just getting better, I-40 was fine.

The weather can always change. As Will Rogers used to say, "If you don't like the weather in Oklahoma, wait a minute..."

Other than that every time we traveled I-40 in OK and TX it was clear, no issues. It's been on US 70 from Roswell to Ruidoso and the deal with I-10 a few years back that has been the trouble spot. I'm assuming that the route from NJ is I-40 from Arkansas through OK to Amarillo, I-27 south to Canyon, then US 60 to Clovis and US-70 to I-10 at Las Cruces and then to Tucson. We check these sites to verify:

Road Conditions OK DPS

Highway Conditions TX roads

http://nmroads.com/ New Mexico

ADOT traffic AZ DOT

Old 11-02-2014, 12:37 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
I made several trips on I-40 as afar as Arkansis where I turned North. I never saw it closed.
As you are already in PhoenixI would go over to Las Cruces. You can go north to Albuquerque, or NW through Ruidosa and Roswell to Portales. to pick up I-40. Regardless you will still be in mountains to Oklahoma, and you will go through more mountains in Eastern Arkansas.

The closer you get to the Mississippi River and the Midwest the more chances you have of snow and ice. According to forecasters the NE is going to get pounded this year. This is a anoter option 1nterstates -40-44-55-80. You can pick up 1-44 at OKC to I-55 at St. Louis that ends at I-80.

I hate the St. Louis 1-44/270 interchange to Chicago. Traffic is a snarl until after Midnight due to constant construction and detours. A better route is to stay on I-44 to Lebanon Missouri and go through the Lake of the Ozarks and through Jefferson City to Kingdome City where you followp I-70 East for 100 miles to Wentzville. and turn North to Troy, MO. I think it is i-61. Follow it to I-80. You will miss Arkansas mountains, St. Louis, Springfield and Chicago, Illinois. .

It is my experience that 1-44-70 and i-80 are less isolated and have more services. By driving this during the day, you will see why America is Beautiful.

The weather will be hit and miss. I strongly advise you to buy a NOAA weather radio that is battery for and house, and a trucker's atlas. It has 24/7 emergency numbers, and other useful information for each state. It is well worth the dollar investment. Do be aware that regardless of the routes you drive you will find pockets where Verizon or AT&T cell phones do not work. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:41 PM

17,779 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Yes there is no way to know how the weather is going to be until about a week before you go, and while Oklahoma can be clear the higher elevations in New Mexico may be a problem. If you go out I-40 Clines Corner is at 7,000 feet and can be an issue.

Any more when I go out there I go to Amarillo, and to Canyon and then on through Roswell and Riudoso. The roads are four lane all the way and much less traffic. It's way shorter and way more scenic than the I-40 to I-25 route.

Sometimes if it is really bad you have to cut through Arkansas and get down to I-20 and take it to I-10 through El Paso. I've had to do that I time or two in going to Tucson.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:44 AM

Thank you all for your feedback. Very much appreciated!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: