U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 04:18 PM

44 posts, read 29,009 times

Advertisements

Hello, I really want to move out of Expensive NJ and happen to hear about Lawton OK, how is the quality of life over there ? are there jobs ? how are the schools ? how are the people, are people generally friendly? is it dog friendly ? I would appreciate any advice thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 04:59 AM

2,503 posts, read 2,880,036 times
As far as the job scene in Lawton goes, I guess it would depend your background. Lawton has a huge Goodyear tire and rubber factory. The US government has one of its biggest forts down in Lawton, called fort Sill. The unemployment rate Oklahoma is pretty low, so it should not be too difficult to land a job. As far as dog friendliness goes, I guess it would depend on if you were living in an apartment or a house. Most Oklahomans a very dog friendly. Most Oklahomans are very friendly, Iused to live in New Jersey and I found most folks they are very friendly, so I think you would fit in very well down here. I have heard a lot of good things about the Lawton school District, but do not have any personal experience.

Lawton is only an hour from Oklahoma City so you should be able to easily get a big city fix if you need it. I think the area surrounding Lawton is very pretty, I enjoy going down there a few days every year.

Good luck on your move to Lawton, and may I be the first to welcome you to Oklahoma!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:31 AM

10,353 posts, read 4,516,878 times
The job picture in Lawton isn't as bright as in OKC. The wages and benefits tend to be lower. My wife took a two years to find a good job; she could afford to be picky. Still, she's making half of what she was making with some of her other employment.

The wild card in the Lawton area is Fort Sill. With across-the-board cuts to the Army budget and troop reductions, it's possible that the Lawton area could lose 3000-5000 personnel and dependents, possibly more. That's good and bad; dependents who work would PCS to another base, opening up some jobs to locals, but at the same time the loss of income to the area might affect hiring. There are a lot of peripheral contract jobs that could be affected as well; government contracts pay well, as the pay is covered by the wage determinations for the locality. Wages are lower that the rest of the US in the Lawton area but the cost of living is lower, too.

Most of my neighbors work at Goodyear and they enjoy it. Decent wages and benefits. Goodyear infused a fair amount of cash into the school system in Cache, which has an excellent reputation. Elgin also get high marks. I don't hear good things about the Lawton schools, nor do I hear really bad things about its quality. No problems with dogs. I lived in Lawton for a year before moving to Cache and never had any issues. Lawton DOES have a new law that states if you have a dog in the bed of a pickup it must be secured (tied in).

Personally, I like the Lawton area, it's not for everyone, but nowhere is. The Wichita Mountains are a great nearby diversion. Not mountains like I grew up with, but a break from the flats of the Southern Plains.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 PM

71 posts, read 204,164 times
Jobs - it really depends on what you are looking for? I say this because there are a lot of restaurants that are due to open with in the next 6 months. There are major retail stores like Wal-mart and Target that are always hiring as well as other retail stores that have just opened within the last year. Lawton has two hospitals that are always expanding and hiring nurses. Teachers are in great demand in Lawton as well as surrounding cities. If you have a degree, there are other job opportunities that may be available to you on Ft. Sill or other places.
So it really depends on the type of job you are looking for.

Friendly people we are unless of course our favorite sports team looses - LOL
We do tend to open doors for people and say hello to strangers
We do love our dogs, but in the City limits there are restrictions as to what type of dog you can have, how many dogs you can have and all dogs must be licensed - kicker here is that if the dog is not neutered or spayed you get charged extra because they are not. There are several dog parks for those that live in apartments to let you take your dog too and get excerise.

Quality of life here is as good as any place.
Our Gas prices tend to be about 15-20 cents more than Oklahoma city, right now it runs around $1.71 at Sam's Club to $1.175 at other gas stations.
Housing prices are actually better here than what one would think. A 2,000 sq ft. house can run around $150,000 to $200,000 to purchase or $1000 to rent (one just came available next door to us)
Towns outside of Lawton are growing like crazy too - Elgin (10 miles north of Lawton) just built a new High School about 4 years ago and already are thinking that should have built it bigger, new housing areas are popping up left and right as well as new shopping areas. Cache(8 miles West of Lawton) is always growing with the influx of tax dollars from Goodyear helping that out. Geronimo (4-6 miles South of Lawton) is not growing as fast but it is still growing. Wichita Mountains - Lake Lawtonka/Lake Elsworth area has a lot of new housing areas being built and have beautiful views of the Mountains (some call them Hills - lol)

Weather is off/on around here - Spring is mild, Summer is HOT, Fall is quick and Winter can last anywhere from Early November to March with Cold wind an almost constant during that time. Snow doesn't come often and when it does come it normally melts off within 2-3 days. There are times when the "Freak" snow fall comes and shuts down everything. We get a lot of ice during the winter months here. So far this year we have only had about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground and that was right before Christmas. Typically snow doesn't really start falling til around mid Feb to early March.

Hope that helps, if you have any question don't hesitate to ask.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:00 PM

44 posts, read 29,009 times
thank you for all your information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma