Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 PM

36 posts, read 64,188 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to rural Logan County but both my husband and I work from home and our son attends a virtual charter school so we definitely need a strong internet connection. Cox Communications does not provide service in the area where we want to move and there are no local cable companies that I've found thus far that do. For everyone that lives in rural Oklahoma, what are my best options for having a reliable internet source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:16 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Your best connection is generally in a town rather than in the county as distance can and does make a big difference in [1] quality of service, and [2] who will be your provider of service. I've lived rural for over thirty years in three states. I had some wonderful providers and some that were real dogs. Do not believe the PR the corporations put out. It is unlikely you will ever have blazing fast speed anywhere in rural America. The most consistent Internet provider in OK, in my opinion, is probably AT&T. It stayed when Cox pulled out of the small and mid-markets and was quickly replaced by a NJ operator that created Suddenlink cable on-the-fly to pick up the slack in SW MO and NE OK.

I lived near Grove, on Grand Lake in Delaware County, NE Oklahoma. It is in a valley surrounded by tall cliffs, high rolling hills and Grand Lake. Grove, in my opinion, has the most forward thinking government. It is self-sustaining. The improvements in the last 10 years include new: hospital, high school, community library, community center, community college, physician's building, multi-plex movie theater, and more. You will find business you recognize such as Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen, Subway, Walmart, Lowe's, KFC, Taco Bell, and others.

Grove is a small community that offers diverse services to the public, a good hospital, and a wide variety of history, nature, and entertainment. Delaware County is a diverse area nestled in the foothills of the Ozark Mountain Range which touches two states, and has an wide-area general demographic of under 100,000.

It is not too far from three mountain ranges beginning in NW Arkansas, the center of the start of the Civil War, three CW battlefields, 3 CW cemeteries, and at least 3 museums, large parks, #1 most visited botanical garden in OK, a cowboy church where horse and spurs are optional. More importantly there are many opportunities to learn from and experience new ideas, and a different way of life.

It is not so far from civilization that you cannot shop in Tulsa. OKC, or Kansas City, and you are only about 6-7 hours from Dallas. All is not lost. OK is okay!

Welcome to Oklahoma. Got questions? We have answers.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:28 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Your local Telephone company often provides DSL. That's what I have

Old 04-16-2015, 05:55 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
DSL is not an option for us. We have plainsnet.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:58 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
My granddaughter used to live near Crescent, which is in Logan County. I've emailed her to get the name of their internet provider then.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:04 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,286 times
I live on the outskirts of Piedmont; northwest of OKC. I use Atlink which their service is okay at best during the early morning/late night hours.. up to a whopping 4 meg download and about 3.5 upload. During peak usage hours; roughly a third of that speed.. definitely not the best. Atlink says they are improving the quality of internet speeds, but since their rate hike, it's actually worse. Go figure. However, one good thing about them, is that it's an unlimited data usage where other services like Pioneer, cap you at a certain amount of data used.

Still, Atlink is one service to check out. The other one would be a satellite internet service with Hughesnet. I have never used them before but have heard from many that their service is not the best. You can do your own research on that. I wish Cox would come out to where I live but they have no plans on expanding outside of Piedmont. Thus, one of the pitfalls of living in a safe, rural area outside of OKC.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:33 AM

When my granddaughter lived in rural Logan County, they used Pioneer for their telephone and Pioneer was also their internet connection. Pioneer office is in Kingfisher. Pioneer Internet

Old 04-16-2015, 12:37 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
When my granddaughter lived in rural Logan County, they used Pioneer for their telephone and Pioneer was also their internet connection. Pioneer office is in Kingfisher. Pioneer Internet
Was it old fashionedly slow dial up? I haven't used that in over 10 years when switching from it to cable was a godsend.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:03 PM

I don't think so. I didn't know anyone still had dial-up.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:50 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I don't think so. I didn't know anyone still had dial-up.
We had dial up until 2008. i hated dial up. Even CDF was too much for it if there were a lot of pics on a thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma