U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 06:25 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,139,902 times

Advertisements

The only reason I posted that Pryor Creek is the actual name of Pryor is that is what a couple of places on the net say and I thought it interesting. Omitting creek only serves to stop confusion between Pond Creek and Pryor, but Pryor Creek was kept as the official name. Perhaps the website for the town of Pryor is mistaken, it is immaterial to me one way or another. COP-City of Pryor
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 06:48 AM

640 posts, read 798,530 times
I see, that's a news one on me, having grown up in the area everyone just knew it as Pryor. Immaterial to me what they want to call it either. I fished in Pryor Creek though.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:12 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Quickstand,

I have been all over this state and ironically Pryor is one of the few towns I have not been to. However, Pryor has one of the better reputations of towns it's size in the state. I don't think I've ever heard anybody diss Pryor.
Never been to the Christmas Train? It's a must....give it a try next holiday season.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:14 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,905,412 times
There really isn't a bad part of Pryor. If super small is of interest, Adair or Salina would be a viable choice. Adair puts you outside both Pryor and Vinita so you would have some shopping available, and it puts you close to both Hudson and Grand Lake as well as the turnpike to Tulsa. It's schools have a great reputation. Salina is just across the bridge over Hudson so the fishing would be close. Salina doesn't have a bad area either. Being on the water on Hudson would be nice, Spavinaw isn't that far away, Blue Hole is close. and there is a Harps supermarket there (I think it is Harps).

But I would look at Pryor itself. It is a nice community with a good infrastructure. I would tend to stay away from anything close to Highway 69......they get about 15,000 semi's through there daily (It is on a major Kansas City/Dallas route).

I forgot about Choteau.......nice quiet town. Lots of Amish/Mennonites. Dutch Pantry is there which makes a good sandwich and carries a lot of Amish products. Not too far from Hudson, not too far from Gibson, not too far from the Illinois watershed, easy quick access to Pryor and Tulsa. Again, no "unsafe" areas and pretty good schools. I don't think it has a supermarket in town, but it's only about 6 or 7 miles north to Pryors super Wal-mart.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:55 PM

640 posts, read 798,530 times
OK, driving up 69 from Choteau, on the south end of Pryor, there is a newer fancy looking sign that says Pryor Creek now. So I am eating my words a little. I still think it is a change back to a little used older name, just for the sake of being novel.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:21 PM

362 posts, read 614,410 times
Pryor Creek is the historical name of the area that dates back to the time when the Osage Indians were induced to move into the area with the support and encouragement of the Chouteau fur trade dynasty. The creek was named after Nathaniel Pryor who served on the Lewis & Clark expedition and who established a trading post near the juncture of Pryor Creek and Neosho River in 1820.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or