U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2015, 12:07 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,756 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to Vance afb in Enid this fall. I was born and raised in the huge city of Columbus, Ohio and am having a hard time realizing I'll have to leave everything I've ever known - BUT I'm trying to look on the positive side of things. Can anyone give me any advice on Vance AFB or Enid in general? It looks like there are 2 main hospitals - Integris and St. Mary's. Is one better than the other (I'm a nurse so I'm hoping to work nearby).

Any and all advice is really appreciated!

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2015, 04:09 PM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
16,475 posts, read 7,390,893 times
Reputation: 7206
My FIL, who lives near Enid, was laid up for a few weeks in St. Mary's two years ago; not the best neighborhood. He prefers Integris for his treatments. My wife lived on East Broadway in the 80s and it was shady at best back then... however, west of Van Buren it's much nicer. When I lived in the Enid area, going through pilot training at Vance, the cost of living was through the roof. It took a dump for many years but has rebounded, and Enid now has the highest per diem rates in the state.

Can't speak for the schools but there's a park just north of the gate for Vance, Meadowlake, that is one huge slice of Americana. Normal Rockwell would love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2015, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
14,744 posts, read 13,251,868 times
Reputation: 4474
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherMarie814 View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to Vance afb in Enid this fall. I was born and raised in the huge city of Columbus, Ohio and am having a hard time realizing I'll have to leave everything I've ever known - BUT I'm trying to look on the positive side of things. Can anyone give me any advice on Vance AFB or Enid in general? It looks like there are 2 main hospitals - Integris and St. Mary's. Is one better than the other (I'm a nurse so I'm hoping to work nearby).

Any and all advice is really appreciated!

Thank you
I wouldn't worry much, because Enid is one of the best of the bigger small towns in Oklahoma. They recently completed a new convention center and arena downtown and it's mighty impressive. And Enid even has an enclosed shopping mall. If you get tired of not having enough in Enid, then Oklahoma City isn't much more than an hour's drive away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2015, 05:23 PM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
16,475 posts, read 7,390,893 times
Reputation: 7206
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I wouldn't worry much, because Enid is one of the best of the bigger small towns in Oklahoma. They recently completed a new convention center and arena downtown and it's mighty impressive. And Enid even has an enclosed shopping mall. If you get tired of not having enough in Enid, then Oklahoma City isn't much more than an hour's drive away.
There was consideration for razing the mall and making it more of strip mall, but that was nixed over a year ago. (Makes sense when the north winds howl in January.) Also, I forgot to mention downtown, it has a lot more to offer than when I first visited in the 80s. A couple Irish pubs, a tapas place, nearly full occupancy of the shops and offices. I like Stillwater better, but Enid has a load of charm as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2015, 07:25 PM
 
191 posts, read 159,231 times
Reputation: 308
Enid is in farm country.

If you like surfing or mountain climbing, you'll have a bit of a drive.

Likewise, if you like Broadway shows, well, you may get to see some but you'll be driving to OKC or Tulsa, or Wichita to do so.

College sports, you have OU in Norman, OSU in Stillwater, Wichita State in Wichita, University of Tulsa and Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, and or smaller colleges. Please note that even the biggest Universities mentioned are about half the size of Ohio State, and the rest of them are way smaller.

If you like to hunt, Enid is great for pheasants and quail (if there are any quail left).

Not that long ago, the richest man in Oklahoma lived in Enid. Harold Hamm moved Continental Resources to OKC a couple of years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
14,744 posts, read 13,251,868 times
Reputation: 4474
I've driven through northeast Enid on the highway before. It's looked kinda run down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 05:08 AM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
16,475 posts, read 7,390,893 times
Reputation: 7206
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I've driven through northeast Enid on the highway before. It's looked kinda run down.
That is, except for around the old Phillips University, now NOC, the low-rent district. Near the old Champlin refinery is the same area. I would also avoid the north-south corridor around Oakwood, not for crime, but noise. (T-38s taking off to the north)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Muncie, IN
588 posts, read 1,085,874 times
Reputation: 495
Enid will be a huge adjustment compared to Columbus Ohio. I wouldn't exactly call Columbus a huge city but compared to Enid, it is. You'll probably be making some trips to OKC and Wichita for "big city" activities which aren't very close. The thing is OKC and Wichita are smaller than Columbus. Enid is okay. It's a farm town with an air force base nearby. Although this will be a huge adjustment, this isn't permanent probably. It will be a unique and good experience in life to say that you lived in a smaller town. The town is somewhat green but there is a sharp divide in precipitation from Western OK to Central and points east. There will be some wild weather, but I find that exciting. Enid itself is the bigger town in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
14,744 posts, read 13,251,868 times
Reputation: 4474
I would have picked Tulsa over Wichita while sticking in Oklahoma. Tulsa is a somewhat bigger and prettier place than Wichita. If you take Cimarron Turnpike to Tulsa, it takes a little less time to get there, since much of the way the speed limit is 75 mph. Also the latter half of the trip is more scenic. Speaking of scenery, get used to ruler flat, nearly treeless horizons around Enid. It's a noticeable difference from the Stillwater and especially Tulsa areas. Not all of it, but quite a bit of Oklahoma is very flat once you get west of I-35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,703 posts, read 6,120,138 times
Reputation: 5968
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I would have picked Tulsa over Wichita while sticking in Oklahoma. Tulsa is a somewhat bigger and prettier place than Wichita. If you take Cimarron Turnpike to Tulsa, it takes a little less time to get there, since much of the way the speed limit is 75 mph. Also the latter half of the trip is more scenic. Speaking of scenery, get used to ruler flat, nearly treeless horizons around Enid. It's a noticeable difference from the Stillwater and especially Tulsa areas. Not all of it, but quite a bit of Oklahoma is very flat once you get west of I-35.
The creeks in Garfield county have plenty of trees along them. Particularly the larger ones (Turkey and Skeleton). It's greener than you would expect. When the wheat fields are green in the spring it is pretty lush if there has been any rain.

The northwest quadrant of Enid is really green. Not sure why but the neighborhood behind the new Walmart Neighborhood grocery is super green and north of that the Willows addition literally looks like a jungle.

Indian Hills at Garriott and Van Buren is a beautiful neighborhood along with the Champlain Mansion and is close to the Airbase.

Probably 80% of the neighborhoods west of Van Buran are nice. Also the very southeast corner of Enid has a really nice addition and is in Pioneer school district which is an excellent school if you want something small for kids. Enid High is good but comes with the requisite problems of a larger school. You want in Waller Jr. High district.

As for hospitals, both are pretty good I think. Reasonably large but not too big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top