U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-29-2008, 07:19 PM

23,935 posts, read 10,335,856 times
Kari, I also think Synopse can verify that Atwood is right on the edge of where OK turns into ~really~ wooded areas.

I think realtors are like car salesmen. If I don't like the salesman, I won't buy a car from him, because I won't put a penny in anyone's pocket that I don't like.

If you leave Holdenville and drive south towards Gerty, it becomes heavily wooded/forested area. Our OTHER friend who moved here from CA lives just outside Calvin, OK which is maybe 20 miles from Atwood.

He bought 240 acres here, sight unseen and moved here from CA and his property is really wooded. He is having the time of his life. We met him at an auction where he bought 20 goats. He now has 18 dogs, several cows, horses, and goats. He names all his cows, so now he refuses to sell them or butcher them.

And he is single, so three of his dogs sleep with him.

Synopse, if this weather doesn't get too weird, we may drive down Gerty way and snap a few pics. Just to see where you hail from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-29-2008, 07:33 PM

3,701 posts, read 5,503,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
heh... Just read your other thread... Actually the Oil well was in the back yard, the Highway (that he said was a mile away) is in the front yard.

And I simply can NOT imagine that the septic on that place wouldn't need pumping after having renters in it for an extended time! Oh... did I ever mention the dead fish carcasses, and cow patties in the front yard? We had a few giggles wondering when the last 'great flood' in that area had been. (yes I have pics of those too)
Front yard, back yard, doesn't matter. He never once mentioned it, was careful not to let it show up in any of his pictures, and has no idea who or what company owns it. And all his directions were off!

One of the first things I asked was how long it had been since the tank was pumped and the water lines inspected. First there was dead silence, then "Why on earth would anyone WANT to pump a septic tank? I've never heard of that." And "Why would the water lines need to be inspected? It's rural water, and they go up under the cement slab."

I would imagine the cow pies came from either the tenant or from the neighbors' cows wandering - fish, I dunno. Flying fish, maybe?

One thing that really really bothered me was that he never once mentioned the gas line running so close to the house. If I'm going to be at the mercy of a ruptured pipe, I want to know about it. I'd think that alone would nix a sale due to failure to disclose. I know he's supposed to be working for the seller, but there were a lot of neutral things he could have told me that wouldn't compromise a sale at all. He couldn't tell me any details about the construction or previous inspections, and those were requirements of the insurance company, not idle curiosity. Nor did he say anything about the property taxes or give me the number to the assessor's office. All he did tell me about it was that there were a few small cosmetic things that would need attention, otherwise it was fine, just dusy since the tenants moved out last year. I think he must live in an alternate universe.

Unread 01-29-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
we definitely have to have a "girls" day out when everyone's settled. I like the idea of the giant garage sale day.
Oh, yeah! I really miss that around here. Back in Alaska a couple of us would go garage saling nearly every Saturday, and have either breakfast to start, or lunch in between. Here, no one wants to go junking, as they call it. At least, they do, but I'm not part of the 'right' crowd, so I hear [sometimes] about the neat things they found after the fact.

Unread 01-29-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Kari, I also think Synopse can verify that Atwood is right on the edge of where OK turns into ~really~ wooded areas.

I think realtors are like car salesmen. If I don't like the salesman, I won't buy a car from him, because I won't put a penny in anyone's pocket that I don't like.

If you leave Holdenville and drive south towards Gerty, it becomes heavily wooded/forested area. Our OTHER friend who moved here from CA lives just outside Calvin, OK which is maybe 20 miles from Atwood.

He bought 240 acres here, sight unseen and moved here from CA and his property is really wooded. He is having the time of his life. We met him at an auction where he bought 20 goats. He now has 18 dogs, several cows, horses, and goats. He names all his cows, so now he refuses to sell them or butcher them.

And he is single, so three of his dogs sleep with him.

Synopse, if this weather doesn't get too weird, we may drive down Gerty way and snap a few pics. Just to see where you hail from.
I like trees, they make fall seem like fall. There wasn't any back in Alaska, they were all spruce with some clumps of alder.

The biggest problem with realtors, good or bad, is that they are salesmen. My first husband was a salesman, and the very concept has a lot of negative issues attached. But I can deal with them, as long as they are reasonably honest and don't try to hustle me - and they should definitely know something about what they are trying to sell!

I can empathize with the 18 dogs and the rest of the menagerie. BTDT. But I no longer have the energy or patience to deal with so many animals needing personal attention, so I've cut back quite a bit.

Since Atwood is between two larger places, do you happen to know if there's maybe a Greyhound milk run that goes through there? The only drawback to living in the country for me is that I can't drive any more, so a bus would be great, otherwise I'll have to find someone who will be willing to take me along shopping once a month or so.

Unread 01-29-2008, 08:40 PM

I don't know about any milk runs. But if you really start getting serious about any local property, I will sic Don on them.

Don is known as the "Question Box". He can drive anyone nuts with his questions. He is very detail oriented. That is just how his brain works. I think he asks questions until the person is about to jump off of a cliff, then I jump in and say, Okay Don. He is kind of like yoda and Felix Unger mixed into one person.

I am just the opposite. I am more of the big picture kind of person. I would be like, "is it a house? Does it have lights and heat? cool. how much do you want."

I would be more than happy to take Don along to see your Atwood place. As a matter of fact, having lived in rural OK for 30 years, Don knows what questions to ask.

There is a local lady who runs a realtor company that is IMO wayyy better than United. I have never cared for United Realtors.

We were going to move to Denver a few years back, and we met a really cool lady who runs her own Realtor bizness.

Unread 01-29-2008, 08:54 PM

See if these links have any listings. We had our septic pumped last year. I guess the realtor you spoke to was a desk jockey. He needs to get out more!

Seminole Oklahoma Holdenville Oklahoma Real Estate Schools

Holdenville Oklahoma GMAC Real Estate Offices. Buying a Home, New Homes for Sale in Holdenville, OK (http://www.gmacrealestate.com/marketsserved/pages/Holdenville_OK.cfm - broken link)

Unread 01-29-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
See if these links have any listings. We had our septic pumped last year. I guess the realtor you spoke to was a desk jockey. He needs to get out more!

Seminole Oklahoma Holdenville Oklahoma Real Estate Schools

Holdenville Oklahoma GMAC Real Estate Offices. Buying a Home, New Homes for Sale in Holdenville, OK (http://www.gmacrealestate.com/marketsserved/pages/Holdenville_OK.cfm - broken link)
I checked these and they have some nice places, but nothing I could afford. I'm very good at stretching $$ and budgeting, but I also live on social security, so there's not a lot there to start with.

The first realtor was a clueless idiot. I don't like to even think about him - and he tried to tell me the pix LR took were of the wrong house! I said, well, one of the pictures had your sign in the window, and he didn't have much of a response to that, either. Clueless.

I'll try to DM you the information. My connection keeps cutting off today, I guess it's a combination of wind, heavy melting snow, and old lines.

Unread 01-30-2008, 05:57 AM

Kari, send us the address to the Atwood place. We will be your scouts and report back to you.

And don't forget, here in the backwoods, a lot of homes have enough property to keep a horse. THis pic is a house on the edge of Holdenville.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_0066.jpg (broken link)

Unread 01-30-2008, 07:03 AM

3,238 posts, read 5,332,968 times
Karibear, you probably posted this before, but I don't remember. What state are you in now?

Unread 01-30-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Karibear, you probably posted this before, but I don't remember. What state are you in now?
Washington, a few miles from the Canadian border as the crow flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma