Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:06 PM

8 posts, read 32,255 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're researching areas for relocating. We are currently in Alaska. We have several horses and will be looking at a lot of acreage. I'm looking for any insight into areas in the eastern part of the state. Particularly the more mountainous areas.
What we're looking for is a smaller town but still close access to one of the bigger cities. We still believe in neighbor helping neighbor, a sense of community, enjoy a small town atmosphere, and the relaxed pace of small town living. Some of the towns that have caught our eye are Tahlequah, Sallisaw, Poteau, and McAlester. My husband currently works for the USPS and could commute to Muskogee, Fayetteville, or Ft. Smith if necessary. I am an X-ray tech so would have to look at commuting distance to medical facilities. We have no kids, so not too concerned about schools.
What about tornados in the eastern part of the state?
I look forward to any info anyone is willing to share. Pros and cons.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 12:15 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
A lot of Oklahoma people like Tahlequah and somebody is bound to mention Grove because it's so darn pretty from being hilly as well as a lake town. But not sure it either of those towns would be close enough to Tulsa for you.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:17 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Being from Alaska and what you are used to in mountains you must know that what we call mountains here are around 2,000 feet.

There are tornadoes here, not in Tahlequah but outside of Tahlequah, north, south and west. If you want to not be near tornadoes hills really help. It slows the tornado down, so anywhere east of Tahlequah would do, or even Tahlequah.

I didn't care for the looks of towns like McAlester or Sallisaw. A town that I would like if I had horses is Stigler. It is just south of highway 40. Horses, cattle, fishing. But it may be too far away to be commuting. Tahlequah is your best bet or Grove. I don't think we drove into Poteau on our trip, so I can't tell you about that town. For commuting via USPS and wanting a small town I would pick Tahlequah. I also like Locust Grove, don't know why since the town is almost nothing, and I like Siloam Springs, but I don't know if it is hilly. East of Tahlequah is the Sparrow Hawk Mountains, just 5 minutes from town. (Mountains?) Wish I could help you more. Just don't buy in a flat area, because you may see your horses flying through the sky one day.

Not even the Arkansas mountains (Ozarks) are big. Coming from CA I was rather shocked at what they call mountains.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:16 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
I hear you and I really miss mountains myself. Lived in Norther CA and had my children in the moutains of Utah. Lived in mountain areas of Europe so I am thinking that maybe in retirement moving to Northern New Mexico. ANYWAY, I live 30 minutes from McAlester on almost 300 acres that I couldn't begin to own in another State at this cost. We have horses but raise cattle (husband works and travels so I do it mostly). Anyway, my ranch is hilly and is beautiful. So if the cost of land is consideration, re think the McAlester area. BUT....rural areas are not going to get you that neighbor helping neighbor stuff (I know). That is like some of the communities I lived in the Upper Midwest. They were much more social than the cowboy areas. Been here 10 years and I still have all my friends in the States we were transferred from. Their friendly enough but not enough to get together for barbeque type personalities.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 AM

258 posts, read 1,014,813 times
If you are considering Tulsa as being the large city your near or your husband will work at, might I offer 2 suggestions. Just north of Tulsa between Tulsa and Skiatook. You may even like Skiatook. This is one of the remaining "undiscovered" areas I believe. Its personally my favorite lake, but between the lake and Tulsa are areas that look like they came right out of a postcard. Sleepy little valleys, bubbling brooks, tall old trees, red barns, small white churches, horses and cows grazing... But go up to on one of the hillsides and the Tulsa skyline is right there. Most people do not consider the area because north Tulsa is considered "black and crime", A. not all of it is. B. go just beyond that small area of Tulsa and your suddenly in a whole different world. Remember,,,,between Tulsa and Skiatook, wander around in that area and just enjoy the peaceful, bucolic scenery if anything. Try going up N 52nd W Ave to Skiatook, and around Sperry. Generally in that area, to the west and things get hillier, to the east things flatten out. So you can find your "sweet spot" in between. You dont want too hilly and rocky if you have horses. They are horses after all and not mountain goats.

The second area is in just the opposite location, south of Bixby. Take Memorial south until your in country, and keep going till you find what you like. Some tiny little towns and beautiful areas out there as well.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:45 AM

I always dreamed of living in the Smokey Mountains, well, not always. But after seeing it I thought they were the most beautiful mountains ever, especially when I went in the fall. I was in my 50s then. Then when I was 16 we went to West Plains, Mo. Ever since then I wanted to live in the Ozarks. I am living in the foothills of the Ozarks now. Took me 50 years to move here. Then last year we went to West Plains, MO and around there, and it looked like here, and when I drove through Sparrow Hawk Mts. it looks like the Smokey's. Autumn here is so wonderful. In all my years of living and traveling in CA and Oregon I have never seen more beauty than that of fall in eastern Oklahoma. And I have been to Alaska. Now I have to go see Skiatook.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:46 AM

We probably didn't give McAlester a good look over. We were tired by the time we made it to Krebs.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I lived in Grove for a number of years. It is in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains. You can find flat land, forrested areas or a comination. Grove is on Grand Lake which is surrounded by high bluffs and hills near Grove. It was peaceful living and I enjoyed it. Vet and city services are nearby. The nearest big town is 45 miles. Upscale Tulsa is farther. Grove is unusual in that it is country and progressive. It has a good hospital, a couple of pharmacies, and at least one of the vets has a large animal practice. .

It has everything you need from feed and leather repair to tool rental and national box stores, national restaurants, multiplex theater, and an awesome full service state park. I am not a horse person. The only saddle club that I know of is in Carthage, MO. The club meeting area is at the the back of the Oak Street Park. It is not difficult to contact them. Carthags is about an hour from Grove.

I lived in Carthage for a number of years. I don't recomment it. It does not have the feed store or leather shop, and the medical care it not very good. The Vet, however, is awesome. Its the only thing I miss where I live now.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:29 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
If you re look at McAlester, remember it isn't a big city although it has a nice hosppital. You need to go about 10 miles out of that city to find what your looking for but I am sure this area is probably cheaper. Like I said I have 300 acres I couldn't afford anywhere else. My property is very hilly but not no Mountains. I do know the difference. My husband wanted this property for hiking in retirment which I hope will come in the next 5 years. He is all over the place and I have to take the dogs not to get lost!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:13 PM

491 posts, read 1,476,034 times
Let me say this again. Don't choose an area in Oklahoma based on the likelihood of a tornado. Anywhere in the state has the potential of being hit. While some areas may have tornados more often, than others, it is not a large enough probability that you will be affected to choose based on that. Tornados are real and dangerous but it's not like everyone who lives in the plains has had their house involuntarily relocated. I have lived here for 25 years (my whole life) and some of my neighbors got hit in 1991. That is the most recent that anyone I know personally has been affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma