U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:05 AM

6 posts, read 9,823 times
Default Looking to get outta Miami for a while...

I have this crazy idea that keeps popping into my head, get out of Miami. It came to me one day. I was born and raised in Miami and am looking for something a little less crazy. I am 23 and really want to get out on my own. I hear the cost of living is pretty good down there in Tulsa ie: apartments and such. Thats where I would be looking.

I work for a certain unnamed large airline who has a big operation there and would be able to transfer. I'm just tired of the everyday minutia of miami and all it has. I am only 23 but I kinda just want quiet or at least not so MIAMI. Rude people who honk a second before the lite turns, who pass you on the grass, the crime, the traffic, the you name it we have it. Don't particularly like hearing gun shots so often. I live in a good area but the area near is not so great

I just want a place where the people are friendly and considerate. Less hustle and bustle. I don't want to pay Miami prices for a hole in the wall either. For what I see apartments going for in Tulsa(3-500) or so, I would be living in a place where my tires might not be on my car when I got up(Miami). Any idea of good places near the airport?

Thnx in Advance for any help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 01:39 AM

11,879 posts, read 24,984,852 times
So you must work for American Airlines. They are the only major airline that I know of that has an operation in Tulsa. As far as I recall, there are apts. on the East side of Tulsa in the Garnett/244 area that aren't too bad. I had some friends that lived in that area in the 80s. I can't vouch for how nice of an area they are today though. Yes, the cost of living in Tulsa is low, the people are friendly, and traffic is nothing to compare to Miami or some of the larger cities. Since you already have a job it appears that you would be getting a transfer, which is the best of all worlds.

Check with other American employees and ask where they live. That would probably be your best bet. Also, other people that live in Tulsa can help you on these forums.

Good luck. I think you'll find Tulsa a pleasant change of scenery.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 AM

702 posts, read 1,595,431 times
You'll love Tulsa! Many of the AA folks live in Owasso, small 35K population bedroom community just north of AA on highway 169. Many new apartment complexes in Owasso, it would only be a 10 minute drive to work. There are no good quality apartment complexes in/around the airport. The airport lies in the northern part of Tulsa. I would look in the Owasso area definitely.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 AM

657 posts, read 966,513 times
wow! miami huh? i've got a good friend out here that grew up in Picher. wouldnt surprise me if you knew her or her husband!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:09 AM

560 posts, read 1,106,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
wow! miami huh? i've got a good friend out here that grew up in Picher. wouldnt surprise me if you knew her or her husband!

Delcorbett, let me explain that comment. Miami, Oklahoma, is northeast of Tulsa, in the far northeast corner of the state. We call it MI AM UH, though. Picher is a few miles away. Miami is my hometown. Good luck with your move.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:13 AM

657 posts, read 966,513 times
oh.... now i feel a little dumb. lol!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:24 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,774,205 times
Quote:
oh.... now i feel a little dumb. lol!
It's ok, I thought Miami, OK had a fast pace of life too

As a few others have said, the Owasso area would be a great bet for you.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:08 PM

2,925 posts, read 4,487,633 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
Delcorbett, let me explain that comment. Miami, Oklahoma, is northeast of Tulsa, in the far northeast corner of the state. We call it MI AM UH, though. Picher is a few miles away. Miami is my hometown. Good luck with your move.
I think I just hurt myself laughing... http://pages.prodigy.net/jimeez/_uimages/lmao.gif (broken link)

Delcorbett, Oklahoma is everything (good) you mentioned and more.
Plan a trip and come visit to see for yourself!

Old 02-13-2008, 02:30 PM

1,989 posts, read 3,033,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Delcorbett, Oklahoma is everything (good) you mentioned and more.
Plan a trip and come visit to see for yourself!
Are you sure you don't work for the chamber of commerce????

Old 02-14-2008, 02:20 AM

6 posts, read 9,823 times
Well it all sounds great and yes i do work for AA. Another thing, how is sprint cellular coverage out ther? or tmobile? also sorry for any crummy spelling, cellphone is my net access to forums. I am just tired of florida in general and want a change of scenery. might need change of clothing if you get snow... buuurrrhhh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma