Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:20 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times

Advertisements

Where is your interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 10:46 AM

77 posts, read 187,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Where is your interview?
Downtown Tulsa. Looks like I-44 across Missouri any way you slice it. I can only hope the worst is over by the time we get there.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:01 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
We'll be in Pryor tomorrow, which is east of Tulsa about 40 miles and close to I-44. If you run into problems, call me. 918-282-9558.
Greg

Old 02-21-2008, 11:28 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Well, good luck. Sounds like it might be a great job for you. A bigger company like that has more opportunities for advancement.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
We'll be in Pryor tomorrow, which is east of Tulsa about 40 miles and close to I-44. If you run into problems, call me. 918-282-9558.
Greg
Thanx much! Hopefully I won't need it, but I'll take down your number just in case.

If everyone in OK is as friendly & helpful as you, I'm sure I'll love it there!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Well, good luck. Sounds like it might be a great job for you. A bigger company like that has more opportunities for advancement.
Thanx to you as well, and everyone who's offered help on this message board! It's really helped out alot!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:48 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Tahlequah has a lot of musicans. I think they are kind of bluegrass. I don't know for sure.
Bluegrass !!!!!! Thats right up my alley , now we're talking.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:15 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
I will have to get a pamplet and let you know what kind of musicans we have here. We used to be in the music scene, like going to listen to people play, but we don't get out in the evenings anymore, but I think they have some things going on during the weekend in the afternoons. I picked up a CD a few months ago done by a few bands here in Tahlequah. It was about the pollution of the Illinois River by the Tyson chicken farms in Arkansas--a protest. It was bluegrass music. And once someone told me, I think on here, that Tahlequah as a hippie kind of town, and I said, "Where? I haven't seen any hippies." They told me to go to some bar outside of town where people come to play and the hippies come as well or some of the hippies are part of the bands.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 02-22-2008 at 05:23 AM..

Old 02-23-2008, 03:28 PM

54 posts, read 196,280 times
Default my view

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris63 View Post
I'm contemplating a possible move to eastern Oklahoma pending the outcome of a job interview next week. The company I may go to work for has plants in many areas and I may have some choice in which plant I get to work out of. I'm not very familiar with the area, but by doing a bit of research, I've narrowed my preferrence to the following towns:

1)Sapulpa
2)Wagoner
3)Chandler
4)Bartlesville
5)Claremore
6)Pryor
7)McAlestar
8)Grove
9)Muskogee
10)Mannford

I definately want to live in a rural area outside of one of these towns. I love the country, but want to be within 20 minutes of work. I prefer a wooded hilly area to flat open spaces. Living near a lake might be nice, but I could probably not afford to live right on one.

I would rather live near an older town with old historical buildings rather than subdivisions and strip malls. I'm also a part-time musician and prefer to be close to someplace where I could continue to play live music semi-professionally.

I come from modest means and will be making about $30k a year, so a reasonable cost of living is important.

It may sound like I'm expecting alot, and I know I can't have it all. I'm just not going to have time to visit each and every town before I make my decision and want to try and make the best choice possible for my future happiness.

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated!
I grew up near mannford(terlton) and to go to tulsa, we would go thru manford mostly, and of course got there for fun, swim, pizza, etc) the lake there is(well, been 14yrs) was a fav, big, nice swim beach, hope its still the same today, i see on map there is a "new mannford now???) it used to be a small town with enough of what ya needed with tulsa just a hop down road, which was nice hywy, borders river, with sandsprings on left and supulpa to the right, i have family in supulpa, outskirts of town that is in (at least used to be) country, i liked both, mannford gives alot more country options in little closeby towns, but right off hywy, supulpa is more of subburb of tulsa i think now, anyone feel free to confirm, like i said, been 14 yrs now. hope you find your niche, congrats on becomming a okie, i cant wait to come home myself.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:37 PM

54 posts, read 196,280 times
Default mid continent concrete??

Quote:
Mid-Continent is extremely solid. My understanding is that all but one concrete company in Oklahoma is owned by one guy, and he allows that one competitor to remain so he cannot be accused of being a monopoly. Mid-Continent is a part of that group of companies that Roger owns. As a driver, you would have a long term, secure job with them. They pay well, they offer lots of overtime, and decent benefits.
hey, is this the place that is hiring that OP(boris) is refering to? if so, how did ya hear about it hiring? curious cuz my hubby is OTR trucker now, and he can transfer with his current employer to OK, and so thats what we are doing, he used to run 12 ton dump to, and is looking to get into local job where he can be home more, OTR sucks....and been hard on family life. we are hoping to arrive end of May when kids get out of school, if ya could pass along(email if you preferr) info on how to apply, etc, epsecially when out of state, much apprectiated. and who is the 2 employees there that live in terlton, i grew up there, and wonder if it might be old friends??? that would be cool!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma