Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 12:05 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times

Advertisements

I don't know what it is, but when you've grown up here nothing really seems all that special about the way people act. I only notice it if I'm out of town and have an unpleasant experience. The people of upstate New York for instance can be very nice but on the surface many are pretty cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:50 AM

432 posts, read 669,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySimplified View Post
Thanks so much to in_the_gloaming for that post. I didn't know any of that about Oklahoma. Very cool!

Sorry everyone for not posting for a long time. I've been busy with school, ROTC, Starbucks and still trying to maintain some sort of social life.

Believe it or not I still haven't been able to visit Oklahoma yet because my dad has been without a job for a while now so money is pretty tight around here.

I'm still planning on going to OSU and looking forward to it more then ever! High school is such a waste of time at this point and I'm ready to get the heck out of here! It's funny because I told my mom about how I am so sick of high school and she told me of this song that reminds her of me. It's "Letter to Me" by Brad Paisley. Anyone heard of it? It pretty much explains me perfectly right now.

Well I don't have much else to report unless there's some millionaire out there in Oklahoma that would mind dishing out some money to help a Marylander become an Okie!

Cheers and thanks!

Casey
Sorry to hear about your Dad's employment situation. But these things can and do work out. I was laid off last December, and I just started a new job with benefits. If they'll hire me, surely they'll hire your Dad.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:57 PM

113 posts, read 654,530 times
Dear Lady Robyn, Synopsis and anyone else who noticed I didn't list the right colors for OSU, Thank you so very, very much for the correction! It is much appreciated! While I can't prioritize one color over another, I guess I was thinking of the University of Oklahoma when I made that post about O. S. U. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Also, I'm not absolutely whether it was O.S.U.'s basketball team that was lost or if it were another sports team from O. S. U., anyway, I just wanted to express my condolances and sympathy over the great loss, which I read about in the local newspaper some time ago!

Another great school I know about is Eastern Oklahoma University at Wilburton! Its great for that area, as it provides a vital role in S. E. Oklahoma's economy. I've been to Wilburton several times. The school is on the north side of U. S. 270 on the west end of Wilburton.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:04 PM

113 posts, read 654,530 times
I remember rolling across the great and wonderfull state of Oklahoma one afternoon when I was stoped by a State Trooper for an expired Oklahoma State Inspection Sticker, when I had an Arizona drivers license, and Oklahoma address and I was moving to Arkansas. I told him that anytime I rolled across the great State of Oklahoma I always felt at home! He replied that he felt the same way and he asked me to remove that expired sticker, or I would get stoped again. I thanked him and went on my way.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:06 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Well I certainly hope that you gave up that death-grip on your steering wheel long enough to wave at a few folks... or at the VERY least give them a head-nod!
Oh yes, I waved at people letting me in and using their BLINKERS!

Blinkers aren't widely used here. People think it's a signal telling the person behind you to speed up and close ranks.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:57 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Oh yes, I waved at people letting me in and using their BLINKERS!

Blinkers aren't widely used here. People think it's a signal telling the person behind you to speed up and close ranks.
MA and VT are like that!

Are you saying I'll have a more pleasant driving experience in OK?

Old 04-05-2008, 11:03 PM

266 posts, read 971,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySimplified View Post
Is there much to do in Stillwater or do you have to drive to Tulsa or Oklahoma City to find entertainment when I'm not studying or cramming for a test?

Also if I live on campus would it be best for me to buy a car so that I'm not completely trapped in Stillwater?

No offense to any Southern people or Oklahomans (if that's what you call yourself) but what are the people like there? Friendly? Mean? Religious? Cowboys? Again no offense I've just lived in Maryland all my life so all I know is people that think they are gansters and stuck up rich people.

Last, does the term "Okies" come from Oklahoma?

Cheers!
Casey
It was actually meant to be a racist term by Californians. They called Oklahomans "Okies" and people from Arkansas "Arkies". Most people don't know what the heck they are talking about when they say it and mean it in a rude way (for example, SEATTLE!!).

Old 04-06-2008, 04:33 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
MA and VT are like that!

Are you saying I'll have a more pleasant driving experience in OK?
Well, coming from CA I can tell you that I certainly do.

I grew up with that term, "Okie" and it was derogatory. I was often enough told that I looked like an Okie, whatever that meant. LOL. Now I am an Okie. And I still don't know why I looked like one.

Well, can you tell which one is the Okie?

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 04-06-2008 at 04:54 AM..

Old 04-06-2008, 06:00 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Well, coming from CA I can tell you that I certainly do.

I grew up with that term, "Okie" and it was derogatory. I was often enough told that I looked like an Okie, whatever that meant. LOL. Now I am an Okie. And I still don't know why I looked like one.

Well, can you tell which one is the Okie?
I bet it's the girl standing on the far left... Next to Opie Taylor.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:05 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
Is that you sitting on the fender? The boots give you away.

The girl on the far left looks properly bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma