U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-06-2008, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 34,388,546 times
Reputation: 5592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I had an uncle not too far from the Murrah Building when it was bombed who suffered some minor injuries. He was pretty old at the time, and has since passed on. After we went to the hospital to see how he was doing we went down to the site of the bombing. I got to meet one of the search group that had been at the WTC when it was bombed the first time. He said the difference between NYC and OKC was astounding. In NYC, the rescue and recovery people were charged for everything. A bottle of water was $5.00. Rooms were expensive. Food was outrageous. In OKC, people brought bottled iced water to the recovery people. No charge. Motels gave them rooms. No charge. They would go to cafe's and when another table would offer to pay for their meal, the cafe owner would tell them that there was no charge. Best Buy and Circuit City both donated refrigerators to the site where Pepsi and Coke filled them with water and soft drinks so the rescue people could have refreshment as they needed it.

Okie's really are a different kind of people.
Stuff like that really warms the heart, deep down.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2008, 11:15 AM
 
5,003 posts, read 14,291,827 times
Reputation: 2451
that is me in the cowboy boots. see, i haven't changed much over the years. i would wear cowboy boots now except that they would hurt my feet, so i have to wear uggs. those are the same cowboy boots that when i tucked in one leg or two, i don't recall, i was told that i looked like an Okie. i thought that that had more to do with how many cattle you owned?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2008, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 17,460,568 times
Reputation: 4611
I wore sh*t kickers @ my Mothers funeral in "69". I was next to the oldest in the bunch.
This when we still lived on the Dairy Farm in Michigan.


Attached Thumbnails
What is Oklahoma like?-6-us.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 PM
 
68 posts, read 221,195 times
Reputation: 58
I know I have said this a few times before but I really just want to sincerely thank every single person that has posted in this thread. I would never have thought that it would have gotten this many views and replies. I have been able to get a much better idea of Oklahoma then I would haven been able to get from any sort of fact website. I know I have also said this time and time again but the more I read from everyone in here the more I feel like I have made the right choice to go to college in Oklahoma then anywhere else. So I sure hope everything everyone is saying is true and isn't some sort of trick Oklahomans play on people to get them to come to Oklahoma!

It's so comforting to hear of all the experiences that people have had in Oklahoma with friendly people everywhere they go. Especially with the friendly drivers. Marylanders are probably near the top of the list as the worst and most rude drivers in the US.

I really can't wait to head over there and just experience Oklahoma first hand! It seems like even though Oklahoma is a fairly big state it still is able to have a sense of community. The story about the workers at the Oklahoma City bombing really touched me. Every place should treat people helping during these type of tragedies as heroes. Plus lately it has been on average 10 to 20 degrees warmer in Oklahoma then in is here in Maryland which I am very jealous about.

About my fathers unemployment. It has been tough lately for us. A couple years back he was fired from a job that he had had for around 8 years, I think. Then he was shortly there after able to get another good job. Not long after getting the second job he was fired again. The second company was not doing well and lately has been firing a lot of their upper management employees. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to find a job since November when he got fired. I assume it has part to do with the way the economy is doing. He has gone to several job interviews but for one reason or another he hasn't been able to get the job. However recently he went up to New York City for a job interview and he is one of the two final candidates for a very lucrative job. So hopefully that opportunity will work out and he'll be able to get that job and our family can get back on its feet financially. Until then we have to cut back on luxuries one of which is not going to visit Oklahoma, sadly.

On the topic of cowboy boots: I think the second I get to Oklahoma I am going to have to buy myself a pair! I have always been fond of them but would just feel out of place buying them up here.

Well everyone thanks again and talk to you all soon!

Casey
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2008, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Denver
113 posts, read 601,943 times
Reputation: 69
Smile homesick for Oklahoma

There's something to be said about all that's been said. Even though I don't live in Oklahoma now, my heart aches to return there! Hence, I'm really homesick for Oklahoma again! Some of the happiest times in my life were spent in Oklahoma! For that, I guess at least that deep in my heart, I'm an Okie! Even if at one time I wasn't.

I know its in Texas, but there's an old saying about Amarillo, and that is that if you live there long enough to wear out a pair of boots, you'll always want to return there again. For me, that's true about Oklahoma also!

My first experience in Oklahoma came when my father and I drove thru Oklahoma going south then west..., Wichita Kansas to Amarillo Texas. We stoped in Enid for a bite to eat. I'll always remember my hamburger! Somehow, it was loaded with hot pepper! After my first bite, I remember chug-a-lugging first my cup of coffee, my father's cup of coffee, my glass of water and his glass of water! Then, I asked the waitress if she had any more hot pepper in the restaurant. She said, they had plenty of it. Why? So I told her that I felt they had dumped all their hot pepper in my hamburger! It took seven glasses of water and four cups of coffee for me to finish my hamburger.

On our next trip thru Oklahoma we stoped in Blackwell. I don't know if its still there, but; they had a miniature Statue of Liberty in Blackwell.

Since then, I've had so many experiences in Oklahoma. Too many to list in this forum.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-06-2008 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: adt'l info
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2008, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Hughes County, Oklahoma
3,160 posts, read 9,894,949 times
Reputation: 1141
Some of the rescuers in the aftermath of the bombing were sleeping at the telephone company building, I guess in the halls or something. The telephone company workers at the building would take the rescuers' dirty clothes home with them, then return them all washed and neatly folded. The rescuers were still talking about that when they came back for the 10 year anniversary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2008, 05:31 PM
 
Location: In My Own Little World. . .
3,238 posts, read 8,174,619 times
Reputation: 1601
About 12 years ago there was a major gas explosion in Edison, NJ at an apartment complex. My neice and her husband lived in the complex, and were awakened about midnight by the explosion and ran for their lives. A lot of people helped them out that night, but the most memorable was the man who stood at the end of the complex, handing out new pairs of socks to everybody who ran by. Amazing how little things mean so much.

On another note about that explosion is her entire apartment was destroyed, as well as her two cars. However when they were allowed back in to the apartment, the only thing left standing was her statute of the Blessed Mother.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 17,460,568 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_gloaming View Post
There's something to be said about all that's been said. Even though I don't live in Oklahoma now, my heart aches to return there! Hence, I'm really homesick for Oklahoma again! Some of the happiest times in my life were spent in Oklahoma! For that, I guess at least that deep in my heart, I'm an Okie! Even if at one time I wasn't.

I know its in Texas, but there's an old saying about Amarillo, and that is that if you live there long enough to wear out a pair of boots, you'll always want to return there again. For me, that's true about Oklahoma also!

My first experience in Oklahoma came when my father and I drove thru Oklahoma going south then west..., Wichita Kansas to
Quote:
Amarillo Texas
. We stoped in Enid for a bite to eat. I'll always remember my hamburger! Somehow, it was loaded with hot pepper! After my first bite, I remember chug-a-lugging first my cup of coffee, my father's cup of coffee, my glass of water and his glass of water! Then, I asked the waitress if she had any more hot pepper in the restaurant. She said, they had plenty of it. Why? So I told her that I felt they had dumped all their hot pepper in my hamburger! It took seven glasses of water and four cups of coffee for me to finish my hamburger.

On our next trip thru Oklahoma we stoped in Blackwell. I don't know if its still there, but; they had a miniature Statue of Liberty in Blackwell.

Since then, I've had so many experiences in Oklahoma. Too many to list in this forum.
In the picture I posted of the funeral,,,,,,the youngest girl in the picture lives in Amarillo,Tx. (She was born deaf, due to a car accident during my mothers pregnancy.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2008, 04:03 AM
 
5,003 posts, read 14,291,827 times
Reputation: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySimplified View Post
I know I have said this a few times before but I really just want to sincerely thank every single person that has posted in this thread. I would never have thought that it would have gotten this many views and replies. I have been able to get a much better idea of Oklahoma then I would haven been able to get from any sort of fact website. I know I have also said this time and time again but the more I read from everyone in here the more I feel like I have made the right choice to go to college in Oklahoma then anywhere else. So I sure hope everything everyone is saying is true and isn't some sort of trick Oklahomans play on people to get them to come to Oklahoma!

It's so comforting to hear of all the experiences that people have had in Oklahoma with friendly people everywhere they go. Especially with the friendly drivers. Marylanders are probably near the top of the list as the worst and most rude drivers in the US.

I really can't wait to head over there and just experience Oklahoma first hand! It seems like even though Oklahoma is a fairly big state it still is able to have a sense of community. The story about the workers at the Oklahoma City bombing really touched me. Every place should treat people helping during these type of tragedies as heroes. Plus lately it has been on average 10 to 20 degrees warmer in Oklahoma then in is here in Maryland which I am very jealous about.

About my fathers unemployment. It has been tough lately for us. A couple years back he was fired from a job that he had had for around 8 years, I think. Then he was shortly there after able to get another good job. Not long after getting the second job he was fired again. The second company was not doing well and lately has been firing a lot of their upper management employees. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to find a job since November when he got fired. I assume it has part to do with the way the economy is doing. He has gone to several job interviews but for one reason or another he hasn't been able to get the job. However recently he went up to New York City for a job interview and he is one of the two final candidates for a very lucrative job. So hopefully that opportunity will work out and he'll be able to get that job and our family can get back on its feet financially. Until then we have to cut back on luxuries one of which is not going to visit Oklahoma, sadly.

On the topic of cowboy boots: I think the second I get to Oklahoma I am going to have to buy myself a pair! I have always been fond of them but would just feel out of place buying them up here.

Well everyone thanks again and talk to you all soon!

Casey
No, it isn't a trick. I am from California, and I can say that what everyone is saying is the truth.

I miss my cowboy boots. They were so cool, but when I owned them I lived in the country in Creston, CA, a cow town. They drove the cattle through downtown once a year, from one ranch to another. Ha, I can come up with a photo for that too. MK, your boots are great. Thanks for showing the photo.

I hope your dad finds a job soon. That is so unsettling, so say the least.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2008, 04:05 AM
 
5,003 posts, read 14,291,827 times
Reputation: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Some of the rescuers in the aftermath of the bombing were sleeping at the telephone company building, I guess in the halls or something. The telephone company workers at the building would take the rescuers' dirty clothes home with them, then return them all washed and neatly folded. The rescuers were still talking about that when they came back for the 10 year anniversary.
Wow! I am impressed. +
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top