U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 11:53 AM

3,160 posts, read 9,932,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Peggy......are you having "mood swings"??!!
No more than normal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 PM

113 posts, read 607,755 times
Okies have special words which describe everything important..., like maters for tomaters, taters for potaters, skeeters for mosquiters. And, don't forget the one thing Okies are very knowledgeable about..., twisters! (tornadoes, from the song Oklahoma, where the wind comes roarin' down the plain.)

What I want to know is why someone hasn't commented on the State Bird of Oklahoma? Its on the new quarter for Oklahoma. Its the Scissortail.

Nice Pic mkfarnam! Thanks!

I've never been in a twister, but; I've been under one as it passed overhead. A big one from Texas. It came thru Midland, Odessa, Wichita Falls, the eastern edge of Lawton, on up towards Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Joplin Mo.

In a future posting, I might tell you about another big one from Texas. A Texas lady I met on the internet, which I decided to visit in Louisville, near Dallas. I know they raise em big in Texas, even if they're home grown, Texas finest, but; this one took the cake! Six foot four, she made three of me, and I'm six foot two! Heck, she'd squish me flat! Her little finger was three times bigger than my thumb! I've never before or since seen any lady that big! About 900 pounds, all Texan, married, two kids, wanting a clean relationship with a Sunday School teacher type guy..., long term, no secrets, etc. when she's seeing another man.

In disgust, I turned around and left Texas again in my rear view mirror. When I got home, she had left me a message, hoping our lil' encounter wouldn't ruin our relationship. Ya..., right! I said, as I crawled into bed! Now, I knew why she didn't want any guy to know what she looked like on the internet. Off hand, I'd say she was slightly full figured!

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-24-2008 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: word change..., Okie spellin'

Old 04-24-2008, 08:36 PM

13,387 posts, read 17,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_gloaming View Post
Okies have special words which describe everything important..., like maters for tomaters, taters for potaters, skeeters for mosquiters. And, don't forget the one thing Okies are very knowledgeable about..., twisters! (tornadoes, from the song Oklahoma, where the wind comes roarin' down the plain.)

What I want to know is why someone hasn't commented on the
Quote:
State Bird of Oklahoma?
Its on the new quarter for Oklahoma. Its the Scissortail.
listen to this guy: (Watch the humming bird try to land on your curser)
Oklahoma State Bird - Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at SongbirdGarden.com!

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Adopted on May 26, 1951.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:42 PM

11,878 posts, read 34,533,248 times
I love scissor-tailed flycatchers. Are they related to the mockingbird?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:07 PM

6,098 posts, read 11,482,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I love scissor-tailed flycatchers. Are they related to the mockingbird?

That's actually a beautiful bird, My favorite bird is the Purple Martin and bjb123's is the Eastern Blue Bird.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,333,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_gloaming View Post

What I want to know is why someone hasn't commented on the State Bird of Oklahoma? Its on the new quarter for Oklahoma. Its the Scissortail.
Here ya go... This guy was in my back yard today:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff80/LadyRobyn/scissor1.jpg (broken link)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff80/LadyRobyn/scissor3.jpg (broken link)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff80/LadyRobyn/scissor5.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-25-2008, 09:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,333,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
That's actually a beautiful bird, My favorite bird is the Purple Martin and bjb123's is the Eastern Blue Bird.
We have Eastern Blue Birds here too! Not the best pic, but I saw one out at Dad's place a couple of weeks ago:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff80/LadyRobyn/bluebird1-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,067,293 times
The pics of the birds are so beautiful, but I'm still laughing about the encounter with the~ahem~BIG girl.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 AM

5,003 posts, read 14,369,119 times
for christmas i have to get your camera. Robyn. Those are so great. birthday? it comes first.

thanks for the bird photos.

i want that new quarter.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:14 AM

68 posts, read 221,519 times
Ok so first off I will never ask about any farm-like pictures again. Even if they surprise the hell out of me since appearently I'm a "city boy".

Someone was talking about the Oklahoma quarter at work the other day. Glad to be able to tell them why theres a two tailed bird on the back.

StillwaterTownie: Thanks for those picture of OSU. It's nice to see more pictures of the place where I am going to spend the next four years of my life.

And Ms. Davis if you have any papers that you need to pass out to the class I'll be the first to volunteer. Also tell all the other kids to stop picking on me! (Yes I am tattling)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma