Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 10:05 AM

68 posts, read 232,052 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

Nothing has really changed around here. Still have a lot of things to do before I go to Utah for the summer.

But I'm going to keep this post short a sweet because my Senior Prom is tonight so I need to go get ready for that!

Casey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 11:16 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
Have a great time, Casey. Senior prom is a once in a lifetime event.

Remember not to drink and drive, or ride with anyone who does.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:27 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,138,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySimplified View Post
Hey everyone!

Nothing has really changed around here. Still have a lot of things to do before I go to Utah for the summer.

But I'm going to keep this post short a sweet because my Senior Prom is tonight so I need to go get ready for that!

Casey
Ok, just one question. If your prom is tonight and you posted this at 11:05am this morning, then how and why does it take you so long to get ready??? Now I've heard of taking your time and making sure everything it just right, but isn't this overdoing it a little .

Have fun, be careful and keep a close eye on your friends, you don't want to have any missing on Monday morning. Be the best friend you can for them.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:29 AM

I'm really not all that excited about it. I went to Prom sophomore and junior year. So at this point it sort of a "been there done that" feeling. Since I am leaving Maryland in less then a month I have pretty much detached myself from everything and everyone here. But I am still going because it is sort of a final thing before I graduate.

I'm not planning on drinking and driving or being with anyone that does. I'm driving myself to and from. And plus last weekend there were two big parties in the area that got busted so a whole lot of people have alcohol citations. After I heard about that I signed myself up for the school sponsored after prom party where I know I can't get in trouble.

Talk to everyone soon! ...Maybe I should bring my laptop to the after prom party... God I'm such a geek addicted to my laptop.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:35 AM

SeabeeBolt:

Yes I know it is a little early to be getting ready but that is just the way I am. I over prepare for everything. And I only have a few more hours before I need to leave because we need to be at the Aquarium in Baltimore's Inner Harbor at 7 tonight. Which means I need to leave enough time to pick up my date, drive to Baltimore, leave time for traffic, and leave time for me to find a parking space.

I'll keep an eye on my friends but there is really only so much you can do unless you are watching them the whole time. I mean everyone at the Prom are practically adults so they need to learn things on their own. Sounds pessimistic, but I don't really mean it that way. I hope you get what I mean.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:36 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,138,639 times
Quote:
I'm really not all that excited about it. I went to Prom sophomore and junior year. So at this point it sort of a "been there done that" feeling. Since I am leaving Maryland in less then a month I have pretty much detached myself from everything and everyone here. But I am still going because it is sort of a final thing before I graduate.

I'm not planning on drinking and driving or being with anyone that does. I'm driving myself to and from. And plus last weekend there were two big parties in the area that got busted so a whole lot of people have alcohol citations. After I heard about that I signed myself up for the school sponsored after prom party where I know I can't get in trouble.

Talk to everyone soon! ...Maybe I should bring my laptop to the after prom party... God I'm such a geek addicted to my laptop.
Well I wouldn't say that . Your prabably just one of the kids that will make something out of your life, its called dedication to the cause . And from what little I have read, your probably not one to be in the spotlight or need to have everyone watching you. Have fun, kiddo.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Well I wouldn't say that . Your prabably just one of the kids that will make something out of your life, its called dedication to the cause . And from what little I have read, your probably not one to be in the spotlight or need to have everyone watching you. Have fun, kiddo.
Don't get me wrong. I can be an attention ***** at times. I love when the attentions on me. But I also have a very geeky side to me too. I could be happy spending my Friday nights at home on my computer or out partying with friends. I joke around with my friends saying I'm the best of both worlds being a social butterfly and a hard core computer geek. Or maybe more on the lines of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. :-)

Okay, I really need to start getting ready for Prom. I really haven't done anything to get ready yet. Lol.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:07 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
Okay, I really need to start getting ready for Prom. I really haven't done anything to get ready yet. Lol.
I always found it is best to start with a shower........have a good night.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:52 AM

21 posts, read 68,121 times
Smile Oklahoma is part of the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I lived in CA most of my life, and the last place I lived was San Diego. I moved to Oklahoma out of choice. I had images of Oklahoma much like what you are saying, and then we came here first to check out the people, the State, and homes. I loved it, and the people are great. They are what sold me on Oklahoma but the scenery did likewise.

I would say if you can afford to a car, get one. You will want to check out other places than just Stillwater.

By the way, we are not a Southern State, this is more of the Midwest.

By the way, San Diego sucked. I could never see what others saw in it. I guess it was the beaches and the even temperatures all year round. People considered it paradise. My neighbor, a young college kid, moved from Oklahoma to San Diego after visiting San Diego. The people there are not all that unfriendly compared to many places, but compared to here, I would say Okies have them beat hands down.

In San Diego my VW stuck out like a sore thumb. There are a lot of Humers, Mercedes, BMWs in San Diego. A whole lot. And yes, you better have the right clothes. Better get a surf board too. lol.

Now on the other hand, I knew a monk in San Diego area that didn't like it very well, and so they sent him to Oklahoma City to be a monk. He wrote back and told me that he loved Oklahomans because they were so friendly. He was actually happy there. He is the person that made me think to check out Oklahoma, which was not on my list of places to move.

Fine restaurants are not easy to come by in Ok, but where I live there are a few really good ones. I have no idea about Stillwater and OKC. But you will just have to search them out.

Making friends in Oklahoma is so much easier than in CA. I had 3 friends in CA's San Diego for all of the ten years that I had lived there. But perhaps it was because I didn't join a club there. Here I have made many friends by joining clubs.

I also haven't heard the saying, "Ya'll come back. here ya." here. Some use Ya'll, and now I use, you all. But don't think of this as the South. It isn't like the south. I know because I used to live in the south, and one of the critera that we had in moving is to make sure that we were not living in the south. I never, never, never want to live in the south again.

Some here have accents; some don't. But what makes people here so special is their friendliness, helpfulness, and acceptance of who you are and not what your drive or wear or how much money you have.
By the way I am a Oklahoman. Born and bred in Oklahoma and NO Oklahoma is NOT the Midwest. It is located in the South Central region of the United States. Oklahoma is placed in the South by the United States Census Bureau. Aside from the geography. History and culture are also factors for what states are considered to be part of the South. What makes the South the South are the values we hold, religion and lifestyle. We have the whole Southern hospitality. The Catalogue for Philanthropy ranked us 4th in the nation for overall generosity.

Oklahoma lies right in the Bible belt as well. The whole South is the Bible belt. By the way everyone I know uses ya'll. From time to time if you visit a small store in a small town you'll hear "ya'll come back now". People in North Oklahoma usually don't have as much of a strong twang since they are closer to Kansas.

The states people typically think of as the South like Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina is the Deep South or referred to as the Lower South. They are also known as the cotton states. The Dixie. Even Texas is considered part of the Deep South since it was one of the seven states that originally formed the confederate states. Also the Deep South is a term defined in a variety of ways.

Just because we don't hang the Confederate flag doesn't mean we are not Southern. Not all Southern states hang the Confederate flag. All though Oklahoma was in allliance with the Confederate side during the Civil war.

No state is the same. Every state has its differences and uniqueness. For example California, Wyoming, New Mexico and Washington are all states in the West and they all have a completely different type of environment, people and lifestyle. South Carolina is not the same as Louisiana and Tennesse is nothing like Texas. One thing they do have in common is etiquette (which so many folks from other places lack).

My husband is from the Midwest and I have been to many of the Midwestern states like Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota. The culture and environment is totally different than of Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas which are all part of the South. However North Oklahoma lies partially in the Midwest but then again Missouri is the Midwest yet South Missouri lies partially in the South and Colorado is the West yet East Colorado lies partially in the Midwest. To call Oklahoma the Midwest is like saying Colorado is the Midwest or Ohio is the East Coast. Besides you don't get too many country singers from the Midwest. I'm proud to be a Oklahoman and proud to say I'm a Southerner.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,690 times
A very good and clear explanation. As a new Okie, I enjoyed your post. Welcome to the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma