U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 17,462,489 times
Reputation: 4611

Advertisements

Oklahoma in part of tornado alley, the Bible Belt and the Great Plains.
The eastern part of OK. gets more tornados than the west. But lately they have been avoiding OK. and hitting states around us, TX, Tenn, Kan, Mo, Ky.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2008, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 34,390,534 times
Reputation: 5592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Oklahoma in part of tornado alley, the Bible Belt and the Great Plains.
The eastern part of OK. gets more tornados than the west. But lately they have been avoiding OK. and hitting states around us, TX, Tenn, Kan, Mo, Ky.
Actually MK, the Western and Southwestern part of Oklahoma get far more tornadoes than the Eastern part.

Tornado Alley:

http://www.beavton.k12.or.us/jacob_wismer/leahy/2004/weather/tornado_alley.jpg (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Somewhere! :)
1,989 posts, read 4,117,467 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Actually MK, the Western and Southwestern part of Oklahoma get far more tornadoes than the Eastern part.

Tornado Alley:

http://www.beavton.k12.or.us/jacob_wismer/leahy/2004/weather/tornado_alley.jpg (broken link)
Too bad GP scared me off all those really cheap places in Tulsa.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Somewhere! :)
1,989 posts, read 4,117,467 times
Reputation: 373
BTW...
Glad to see you're feeling a little better!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 17,462,489 times
Reputation: 4611
That's only the path of the most violent tornados not the comlete alley. I always knew that parts of Ohio and Mich, were in the path too.

Attached Thumbnails
What is Oklahoma like?-300px-tornado_alley.gif  

Last edited by mkfarnam; 02-17-2008 at 03:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma City area
679 posts, read 1,842,919 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySimplified View Post
I know at least in the Air Force it's Brigadier General is one star, Major General is two, Lieutenant General is three, and General is four.
The mnemonic for that is Be My Little Girl.

And in answer to your earlier question, no, I wasn't in the Air Force and didn't take ROTC. (There were no women in ROTC then.) My husband and I were both civilian employees of the Air Force for 30+ years. He retired as chief of the division that repaired B-52, -135, B-1, E-6 (Navy) and E-3. I retired as a logistics manager in materiel support for the E-3 AWACS program. Most of the E-3's were stationed at Tinker, so I spent a lot of time with their maintenance guys. We live in Navy country now. Not an airplane in sight and we miss them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Somewhere! :)
1,989 posts, read 4,117,467 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
The mnemonic for that is Be My Little Girl.

And in answer to your earlier question, no, I wasn't in the Air Force and didn't take ROTC. (There were no women in ROTC then.) My husband and I were both civilian employees of the Air Force for 30+ years. He retired as chief of the division that repaired B-52, -135, B-1, E-6 (Navy) and E-3. I retired as a logistics manager in materiel support for the E-3 AWACS program. Most of the E-3's were stationed at Tinker, so I spent a lot of time with their maintenance guys. We live in Navy country now. Not an airplane in sight and we miss them.
Don't know about the B-135..,
(Never heard of it.)

But the rest of those aircraft ROCK!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Hughes County, Oklahoma
3,160 posts, read 9,895,536 times
Reputation: 1141
It is in between, but we don't argue about it like some on the MD forum do. We also don't have a lot of civil war feelings around here.

Yes, OK gets tornadoes, but I wouldn't worry about it. If you live in a dorm or are on campus, you will be taken care of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma City area
679 posts, read 1,842,919 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Don't know about the B-135..,
(Never heard of it.)

But the rest of those aircraft ROCK!
-135 is shorthand for various models of C-135, EC-135, KC-135, RC-135. The biggie there is the KC-135 stratotanker. I flew on one once. Got to lay back in the boom operator's pod, fly the boom and dump some fuel over northern Louisiana. Boeing really knew what they were doing when they built the 707. The -135 series, E-3 and E-6 are all built on that same fuselage.

Well, I've gotten us off-topic on this one. I guess I need to find a place to talk about airplanes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 04:09 AM
 
5,003 posts, read 14,293,445 times
Reputation: 2451
CG, Now you can see why I say that Eastern OK is the best of all worlds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top