U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 08:37 PM

54 posts, read 179,271 times

Advertisements

i hope you do choose OK for your collage years....people either love oklahoma or hate it, usually no in-between, i for one love east oklahoma for its trees and rolling soft hills, west OK, not big prairie fan....but some are. i think comen from the big city, you will enjoy the peace and quiet and slower side of life, you will enjoy less crime, smog, high prices, etc...or you wont, on that note, come, get your education, travel this great state, so many overlook it for the wonderfull place it is, and thats their loss, but you have the chance to really look around and see what ithas to offer, and after you graduate, if you decide its not for you, luckily with your ned education, you will be able tomove on and find whats right for your and your career. not about san deigo, i have a good friend that lives there, in the navy, they live off base and he hates it, main reasons... the traffic, the lack of real, honest, friendly people, and the cost of living is outragous.....which on that note, is something a collage student should think about...can they afford to live in a place plus school. just a thought...wish you all the best hon!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:49 PM

68 posts, read 221,281 times
I just wanted to let everyone know that I just got accepted to OSU and I'm about 99% sure that I am going there for college! Everyone has been such a great help and I'm planning a trip to visit OK in March sometime. Just by how helpful you guys have been I can tell that Oklahomans are pretty friendly people which i appreciate. Again thanks to everyone that has posted and if anyone has anything else to say just let me know!

Cheers!
Casey

Old 04-02-2008, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,322 times
Default Good luck

I saw your post and wish you luck and a good time in Stillwater. I am an OU grad, but Stillwater and OSU is a great place to be a student. Great town, real friendly campus and people.

I grew up here in Oklahoma (Enid, not far from Stilly) and to be perfectly honest I never even knew that the rebel flag was a racist symbol until they taught me that in Air Force "sensitivity" training. I am not lying. I can recall at no time in my life having ever identified with the "South" in a confederate sort of way.

Also, remember, I grew up here and have lived my whole life here (by choice). I have NEVER seen a tornado live. I've seen many on local tv though and we do have the season usually twice a year (Spring and fall). It's always possible, but we have plenty of space, so usually you just see them on tv.

I think you will find Oklahoma to be surprisingly progressive--as many often do.

If you really like college sports, you are in luck. OSU has really made a commitment to theirs and it's easy to get football tickets. Your only concern might be not having a car (if you don't have one). Oklahoma is definitely a driving state. You'd be ok around campus, but you couldn't get far without a car.

Btw, love "The Wire" and hope to visit Baltimore either this year or next on my tour of Great American Cities.

Enjoy.

Last edited by ThePlainsman; 04-02-2008 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-02-2008, 09:52 AM

11,878 posts, read 34,445,401 times
Well, I hope Casey is okay. We haven't heard back from him after his trip. Casey, let us know how things are going!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:27 PM

113 posts, read 604,508 times
Default Okie or not an Okie

The term "Okie" refers to someone who was born in Oklahoma, and has family roots there. Just as "Arkie" refers to someone who was born in, and lived in Arkansas. I've lived in both states and I know a lot about both Oklahoma and Arkansas, but not everything.

Another term commonly used is "red neck". Originally back in the days before the Civil War, the term "red neck" was used to describe someone who worked outside, was constantly exposed to the sun and had worked in the fields, possibly picking cotton. If you wanted to go anywhere in society as a Southern Belle, you never wanted to be considered a red neck, because red neck is synomous with "blue collar".., and wasn't socially acceptable in the upper crust of society, anymore than being country used to be years and years ago. The major difference between Oklahoma and Arkansas is that Oklahoma was an Indian Territory during the Civil War and didn't become a state until Nov. 1907, while Arkansas was a Southern Confederate State. In the Oklahoma Panhandle in No Mans' Land near La Vern Oklahoma is two large stone markers describing the Oklahoma Panhandle, its very interesting history was as part of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas Territory and New Mexico. Later the Oklahoma Panhandle became three counties, each is different. The Santa Fe Trail crosses the Oklahoma Panhandle, and there are many stories about the Santa Fe Trail too.

Oklahoma is the Sooner State because back during the early days, people weren't supposed to cross into Oklahoma sooner than they were supposed too. Many did cross sooner than they were supposed too, to have first dibs on prime Indain lands, which had to be claimed before nightfall of the first day after they were supposed to cross legally, and hence, because they crossed sooner than they were supposed too, Oklahoma became the Sooner State.

There are five major parts to Oklahoma, each is different. Mostly, the greenest part is east of Oklahoma City (going on an imaginary line from north to south).

I find the history of the Oklahoma panhandle to be very fascinating. One case involved the United States Supreme Court because the State of Texas got greedy and claimed the land between the main chanel of the Red River and the north fork of the Red River as theirs. The final ruling was that the main channel of the Red River is the boundary line between Texas and Oklahoma.., not the north fork! People were born in this area between the north fork and the main channel of the Red River, grew up, got married, lived there their whole lives, died there thinking they were Texans. Just imagine if you will, thinking you are a Texan and later finding out that your records suddenly reflect that you are an Okie?

Remember, all your official records now have to be changed!

When Texas wanted to become a state, they wanted to be a Southern State. The Ol' Mason Dixon Line ran across the southern edge of Kansas. Texas said, ' no body lives in up in the Texas Panhandle except for outlaws anway and we don't need to go as far north as the Ol' Mason Dixon Line, so lets chop off the area that later became the Oklahoma Panhandle! And so they did, except for the southwest corner of the main part of Oklahoma, between the main channel and the north fork of the Red River.., which was disputed land for many years.

Anyway, I hope I've shed some light on our topic. I spent 12 years living in Oklahoma and more than 2 years in Arkansas. When I asked my music teacher about Arkansas one day, she said she was an Arkie thru, and thru and thru! Her grandfather was hanged by the Confederate forces for selling horses to the Union troops in N. E. Arkansas. At the time, she was living in the Little Rock area and she taught instrumental music at one of the major instrumental music chain stores in Arkansas. During the Racing Season in Hot Springs, which is or was the only legalized gambling in Arkansas when I lived in Arkansas, she also conducted her own orchestra at the Vapors Club.., a very, very prestigeous night club..., that only opened its doors during Racing Season! Racing Season at Oaklawn Downs involved many high dollar thorough bred horses that later went on to the Kentucky Derby, Rio Dosa Downs, Louisiana Downs, and others.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-03-2008 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: spelling change addit'l info

Old 04-03-2008, 02:50 PM

Thanks so much to in_the_gloaming for that post. I didn't know any of that about Oklahoma. Very cool!

Sorry everyone for not posting for a long time. I've been busy with school, ROTC, Starbucks and still trying to maintain some sort of social life.

Believe it or not I still haven't been able to visit Oklahoma yet because my dad has been without a job for a while now so money is pretty tight around here.

I'm still planning on going to OSU and looking forward to it more then ever! High school is such a waste of time at this point and I'm ready to get the heck out of here! It's funny because I told my mom about how I am so sick of high school and she told me of this song that reminds her of me. It's "Letter to Me" by Brad Paisley. Anyone heard of it? It pretty much explains me perfectly right now.

Well I don't have much else to report unless there's some millionaire out there in Oklahoma that would mind dishing out some money to help a Marylander become an Okie!

Cheers and thanks!

Casey

Old 04-03-2008, 11:22 PM

5,776 posts, read 14,354,415 times
Sorry to hear about your dad's employment situation. I hope that works out for you soon.

I remember having the same feeling you're describing during my senior year in high school. I bet a lot of people have had the same experience, maybe pretty much everyone. For me it started in about February. Suddenly I became aware of how close I was to being done and moving on in life, and I was eager to take that next step, and the same old classes started seeming awfully heavy and boring.

As you get into spring, though, try to soak up your enjoyment of all the end-of-year activities as much as possible. Suddenly it will be over, and you'll be moving on. I remember finding this kind of exciting and sad both at the same time. Just get the most out of everything, now and in the future. From looking through this thread, it seems to me you're off to a good start with all your activities, ROTC, etc. Best of luck with the rest of high school, and on into college and the future.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 PM

Thanks ogre. I have become very unmotivated and pessimistic lately in high school. None of the spring activities like Prom have happened yet but once they do believe me I will be enjoying them to the fullest!

Casey

Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,187,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySimplified View Post
Thanks ogre. I have become very unmotivated and pessimistic lately in high school. None of the spring activities like Prom have happened yet but once they do believe me I will be enjoying them to the fullest!

Casey
Just keep yourself safe as well as happy during those activities Most of all, don't drink and drive.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:42 AM

13,387 posts, read 17,510,594 times
I've wondered how OK, became the "Sooner State". Thanks for the info,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma