U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-04-2008, 09:44 AM
 
68 posts, read 206,419 times
Reputation: 58

Advertisements

Oh believe me I'd never drink and drive. I like to have fun but I'm also cautious. I've got too much good stuff going for me to pull some stupid stunt and mess everything up!

Casey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2008, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 14,363,202 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySimplified View Post
Oh believe me I'd never drink and drive. I like to have fun but I'm also cautious. I've got too much good stuff going for me to pull some stupid stunt and mess everything up!

Casey
Way to go !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Denver
113 posts, read 518,649 times
Reputation: 69
Smile Higher education in Oklahoma

While I never went on to college in Oklahoma, I was very heavily influenced by a couple of offers! One came unexpectedly many years ago. I had just returned to work after using some of my vacation time, when I stoped in at a little Mom and Pop restaurant I liked to eat at in Pencil Bluff Arkansas, on my way to work in Hot Springs Arkansas from my Lawton Oklahoma home via. Ft. Smith. I traveled that route so often, I felt I could drive it in my sleep! I thought I knew all the twists and turns in the road..., U. S. 71 from Ft. Smith to Y City, picking up U. S. 270 to Hot Springs. At the time, I worked on the ground in the airline industry with the original Frontier Airlines.

A very wonderfull lady there in the restaurant asked me if I'd like to visit Oral Roberts University as a personal guest of hers and Oral Roberts. She said she gave a considerable amount of money to that school and I could go there all expenses paid for a three day and three night stay in Tulsa. Unfortunately, I wasn't all that interested at that time. Later, I really, really, really wished I had taken her up on that!!! I even received a personal invite from Oral Roberts to come there all expenses paid!

About ten years later, I thought a lot about going to Oklahoma Baptist University in Shawnee Oklahoma. I inquired into it, received a lot of literature about the school, but; I didn't go to school there, even though its an outstanding school! I went on several occaisions to meetings where one of OBU's recruiters met several of us prospective students in her home and offered to drive us down there for orientation..., from Denver, which is where I live. And, she, the recruiter lived.

I've driven thru Shawnee several times and I've seen the school! I even thought about buying a house there. Its an older school with high academic standards! An excellent choice!

Oklahoma State University in Stillwater is another outstanding school! Too bad their basketball team was killed several years ago in an airplane crash! I really felt sorry for them! You'll like Stillwater, lots of school spirit there! OSU's colors are: red and white.

Cameron University in Lawton is another fine choice! It was Cameron College when I lived in Lawton. Living expenses in Lawton are fairly reasonable too! Also, check out Cache, Indiahoma, Elgin, Geronimo, and Walters. They're all nice too! Lawton has grown a lot since I lived there. The last time I was thru Lawton was in late August 2005.

Well.., that's my two cents worth. I know there are many other wonderfull schools in Oklahoma I haven't even looked at! If I were to return to school, I'd pursue my doctorate in veterinary medicine degree. I guess you'd call me a late bloomer because of the time gap between when I was in college the first time and the second time. I have a B. S. in marketing degree, but I now wished I had pursued a different major.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-04-2008 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: addt'l info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 30,751,939 times
Reputation: 5480
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_gloaming View Post
While I never went on to college in Oklahoma, I was very heavily influenced by a couple of offers! One came unexpectedly many years ago. I had just returned to work after using some of my vacation time, when I stoped in at a little Mom and Pop restaurant I liked to eat at in Pencil Bluff Arkansas, on my way to work in Hot Springs Arkansas from my Lawton Oklahoma home via. Ft. Smith. I traveled that route so often, I felt I could drive it in my sleep! I thought I knew all the twists and turns in the road..., U. S. 71 from Ft. Smith to Y City, picking up U. S. 270 to Hot Springs. At the time, I worked on the ground in the airline industry with the original Frontier Airlines.

A very wonderfull lady there in the restaurant asked me if I'd like to visit Oral Roberts University as a personal guest of hers and Oral Roberts. She said she gave a considerable amount of money to that school and I could go there all expenses paid for a three day and three night stay in Tulsa. Unfortunately, I wasn't all that interested at that time. Later, I really, really, really wished I had taken her up on that!!! I even received a personal invite from Oral Roberts to come there all expenses paid!

About ten years later, I thought a lot about going to Oklahoma Baptist University in Shawnee Oklahoma. I inquired into it, received a lot of literature about the school, but; I didn't go to school there, even though its an outstanding school! I went on several occaisions to meetings where one of OBU's recruiters met several of us prospective students in her home and offered to drive us down there for orientation..., from Denver, which is where I live. And, she, the recruiter lived.

I've driven thru Shawnee several times and I've seen the school! I even thought about buying a house there. Its an older school with high academic standards! An excellent choice!

Oklahoma State University in Stillwater is another outstanding school! Too bad their basketball team was killed several years ago in an airplane crash! I really felt sorry for them! You'll like Stillwater, lots of school spirit there! OSU's colors are: red and white.

Cameron University in Lawton is another fine choice! It was Cameron College when I lived in Lawton. Living expenses in Lawton are fairly reasonable too! Also, check out Cache, Indiahoma, Elgin, Geronimo, and Walters. They're all nice too! Lawton has grown a lot since I lived there. The last time I was thru Lawton was in late August 2005.

Well.., that's my two cents worth. I know there are many other wonderfull schools in Oklahoma I haven't even looked at! If I were to return to school, I'd pursue my doctorate in veterinary medicine degree. I guess you'd call me a late bloomer because of the time gap between when I was in college the first time and the second time. I have a B. S. in marketing degree, but I now wished I had pursued a different major.
Excellent post in_the_gloaming. Thanks. The only part you'd get grief over is from the OSU fans, to which you assigned the OU school colors of red and white.. OSU's school colors are orange and black.. But since you're such a nice person, I'm sure even OSU alumni would let it slide.



I don't know about anyone else, but I love OSU's colors.. They are especially great for football season, which is in the Autumn. Pumpkins anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Duncan, OK
2,919 posts, read 5,572,737 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Excellent post in_the_gloaming. Thanks. The only part you'd get grief over is from the OSU fans, to which you assigned the OU school colors of red and white.. OSU's school colors are orange and black.. But since you're such a nice person, I'm sure even OSU alumni would let it slide.



I don't know about anyone else, but I love OSU's colors.. They are especially great for football season, which is in the Autumn. Pumpkins anyone?
Pumpkins...Bad Halloween Party... Crimson and Cream... now THAT is an awesome color combo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Denver
113 posts, read 518,649 times
Reputation: 69
I'll have to look! Fairly recently on my way back to Colorado from S. E. Oklahoma, I stoped at the rest stop next to the two stones I mentioned in my post..,Okie, or not an Okie. I copied by hand what it said on those stones and I really think you'll enjoy learning what it said! Those very informative stones told me more than I knew about the panhandle of Oklahoma. It may take a few days to find it. Ok?

Shortly before I got to those stones, the road was marked by a sign informing you that you were about to enter.., no mans' land! Woodward and Fort Supply connect the panhandle with the rest of the state. La Vern is a very nice little town just west of Ft. Supply. I always try to stop everytime I pass thru there. How could I forget La Vern?

My tom cat Bartholomew got me real good as I tried giving him some medication. I was sitting on a bench in front of the restaurant I had just eaten at, when some guy got too close to us and my cat, got spooked on me, clawing my wrist, leaving me in pain..., as the blood flowed down my arm from his claws. He had just punctured an ugly hole in my wrist!

I also inquired about properties for sale while I was there on a couple of occaisions. I like it there! Everyone is so friendly!

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-04-2008 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: word change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 30,751,939 times
Reputation: 5480
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_gloaming View Post
I'll have to look! Fairly recently on my way back to Colorado from S. E. Oklahoma, I stoped at the rest stop next to the two stones I mentioned in my post..,Okie, or not an Okie. I copied by hand what it said on those stones and I really think you'll enjoy learning what it said! Those very informative stones told me more than I knew about the panhandle of Oklahoma. It may take a few days to find it. Ok?

Shortly before I got to those stones, the road was marked by a sign informing you that you were about to enter.., no mans' land! Woodward and Fort Supply connect the panhandle with the rest of the state. La Vern is a very nice little town just west of Ft. Supply. I always try to stop everytime I pass thru there. How could I forget La Vern?

My tom cat Bartholomew got me real good as I tried giving him some medication. I was sitting on a bench in front of the restaurant I had just eaten at, when some guy got too close to us and my cat, got spooked on me, clawing my wrist, leaving me in pain..., as the blood flowed down my arm from his claws. He had just punctured an ugly hole in my wrist!

I also inquired about properties for sale while I was there on a couple of occaisions. I like it there! Everyone is so friendly!
Please do copy us on what the stones said. I really like your style of writing, it's easy to read and you do tell a story. I think you said that you have a degree in Marketing? Communications via written word are your strong point..

As for LadyRobyn... You Sooner fan you. I was in Norman today, and I drove through the OU campus area. It is such a beautiful area; a sight for sore eyes.

I went in to an OU shop and the guy that ran the shop had a distinct accent (Northeast). He was a Sooner fan through and through. I asked him where he was from and he said Pittsburgh. I said "How the heck did you become a Sooner fan?"

He told me that he had been a Sooner fan since childhood - he was in his 30s. Said that he just liked the school colors, the program, the winning tradition the minute he set eyes on his first Oklahoma game. What a GREAT guy he was to talk to. He lived and breathed OU sports.

One other thing, and it's about the fine people of Oklahoma - my home state.

Today was really the first time in years since I've "window shopped" in Oklahoma.

For goodness sakes, Okies are THE friendliest people that I've ever met in my entire life. I'm an Okie too, but living so very long in a big city out of state you get accustomed to a certain type of behavior. And believe me, Texans (particularly those in Fort Worth are GOOD people). However, what I experienced in my several hours of going to different establishments in Norman today was unreal.

Literally, everybody I spoke with (of all colors and nationalities) were SO nice and friendly. The Sooner sports regalia shop that I visited; EVERYONE in the place was so nice and friendly. At one point, we all were just joined together talking about this and that. The guy from Pennsylvania, who had been in Oklahoma for some time was the genuine article too.

The people at Target, where I bought a watch - the same story.

And then the icing on the cake was as I was leaving Norman to come back to Fort Worth. There was one of those construction zone things where the lane goes down to one from two.

Now, here in the DFW metroplex people will ride up until the very last opportunity to merge into the right lane, which creates a bottleneck. On I-35 South, out of Norman, everyone was so cooperative with one another, letting people go to the right lane WELL ahead of the other guy, and people would slow down to let you change lanes and get in front of them..

This may sound logical to you, but down here, that doesn't happen.

The bottom line? Okies are the greatest people on earth, in my biased opinion. I felt so good about everyone I encountered today.

If there ever is a national crisis (gas, food shortages, whatever), I want to be in Oklahoma where everyone looks out for each other.

I'm sooooo proud of my home state! It's the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,528 posts, read 13,300,514 times
Reputation: 6946
I had an uncle not too far from the Murrah Building when it was bombed who suffered some minor injuries. He was pretty old at the time, and has since passed on. After we went to the hospital to see how he was doing we went down to the site of the bombing. I got to meet one of the search group that had been at the WTC when it was bombed the first time. He said the difference between NYC and OKC was astounding. In NYC, the rescue and recovery people were charged for everything. A bottle of water was $5.00. Rooms were expensive. Food was outrageous. In OKC, people brought bottled iced water to the recovery people. No charge. Motels gave them rooms. No charge. They would go to cafe's and when another table would offer to pay for their meal, the cafe owner would tell them that there was no charge. Best Buy and Circuit City both donated refrigerators to the site where Pepsi and Coke filled them with water and soft drinks so the rescue people could have refreshment as they needed it.

Okie's really are a different kind of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Duncan, OK
2,919 posts, read 5,572,737 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
And then the icing on the cake was as I was leaving Norman to come back to Fort Worth. There was one of those construction zone things where the lane goes down to one from two.

Now, here in the DFW metroplex people will ride up until the very last opportunity to merge into the right lane, which creates a bottleneck. On I-35 South, out of Norman, everyone was so cooperative with one another, letting people go to the right lane WELL ahead of the other guy, and people would slow down to let you change lanes and get in front of them..
Well I certainly hope that you gave up that death-grip on your steering wheel long enough to wave at a few folks... or at the VERY least give them a head-nod!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 14,363,202 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Please do copy us on what the stones said. I really like your style of writing, it's easy to read and you do tell a story. I think you said that you have a degree in Marketing? Communications via written word are your strong point..

As for LadyRobyn... You Sooner fan you. I was in Norman today, and I drove through the OU campus area. It is such a beautiful area; a sight for sore eyes.

I went in to an OU shop and the guy that ran the shop had a distinct accent (Northeast). He was a Sooner fan through and through. I asked him where he was from and he said Pittsburgh. I said "How the heck did you become a Sooner fan?"

He told me that he had been a Sooner fan since childhood - he was in his 30s. Said that he just liked the school colors, the program, the winning tradition the minute he set eyes on his first Oklahoma game. What a GREAT guy he was to talk to. He lived and breathed OU sports.

One other thing, and it's about the fine people of Oklahoma - my home state.

Today was really the first time in years since I've "window shopped" in Oklahoma.

For goodness sakes, Okies are THE friendliest people that I've ever met in my entire life. I'm an Okie too, but living so very long in a big city out of state you get accustomed to a certain type of behavior. And believe me, Texans (particularly those in Fort Worth are GOOD people). However, what I experienced in my several hours of going to different establishments in Norman today was unreal.

Literally, everybody I spoke with (of all colors and nationalities) were SO nice and friendly. The Sooner sports regalia shop that I visited; EVERYONE in the place was so nice and friendly. At one point, we all were just joined together talking about this and that. The guy from Pennsylvania, who had been in Oklahoma for some time was the genuine article too.

The people at Target, where I bought a watch - the same story.

And then the icing on the cake was as I was leaving Norman to come back to Fort Worth. There was one of those construction zone things where the lane goes down to one from two.

Now, here in the DFW metroplex people will ride up until the very last opportunity to merge into the right lane, which creates a bottleneck. On I-35 South, out of Norman, everyone was so cooperative with one another, letting people go to the right lane WELL ahead of the other guy, and people would slow down to let you change lanes and get in front of them..

This may sound logical to you, but down here, that doesn't happen.

The bottom line? Okies are the greatest people on earth, in my biased opinion. I felt so good about everyone I encountered today.

If there ever is a national crisis (gas, food shortages, whatever), I want to be in Oklahoma where everyone looks out for each other.

I'm sooooo proud of my home state! It's the best!
After moving to OK, from SoCal, I was amazed by the people of OK, myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top