Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 09:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,490,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Good luck in your move nightbird. Yes, many people are leaving CA, especially SO Cal. I just hope that your fellow travelers don't try and change Oklahoma into what (sadly) California has become . And I don't mean that in a bad way; there are many positives that ex Californians can bring to Oklahoma, just not the politics and social engineering.
Why? Are you against legalized medical marijuana and legalized same sex marriage as it currently exists in California? As for me, sick people in California as well as Oklahoma should have the right to use marijuana for medicine when they find it works good for them under the direction of a doctor. Politicians in Oklahoma shouldn't play doctor by keeping medical marijuana illegal in Oklahoma.

As for same sex marriage the best way to compromise on the issue is to say that Oklahoma doesn't have to issue same sex marriage licenses until it gets good and ready, but must recognize legal same sex marriages made in other states, such as California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 10:10 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,763,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why? Are you against legalized medical marijuana and legalized same sex marriage as it currently exists in California? As for me, sick people in California as well as Oklahoma should have the right to use marijuana for medicine when they find it works good for them under the direction of a doctor. Politicians in Oklahoma shouldn't play doctor by keeping medical marijuana illegal in Oklahoma.

As for same sex marriage the best way to compromise on the issue is to say that Oklahoma doesn't have to issue same sex marriage licenses until it gets good and ready, but must recognize legal same sex marriages made in other states, such as California.
Here we go.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 PM

41 posts, read 168,214 times
Yeah, my fellow Okies don't care for same-sex marriage. I guess they think it's "catching", or something. I don't know why Okies are scared of homosexuals. They act like it's a disease.

I live in an itty-bitty town. We've had Lesbians for a few years. It hasn't spread, really.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:55 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,350,560 times
Quote:
Good luck in your move nightbird. Yes, many people are leaving CA, especially SO Cal. I just hope that your fellow travelers don't try and change Oklahoma into what (sadly) California has become . And I don't mean that in a bad way; there are many positives that ex Californians can bring to Oklahoma, just not the politics and social engineering.
http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/4.gif (broken link)Are you trying to tell me something Synopsis?http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/4.gif (broken link)

Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 PM

Default Priceless Southern women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
In the short time I've been here, I've heard quite a few different accents. Actually, the difference is more individual, some people have almost no accent, others are fairly extreme, but it's the same accent, just differs in intensity among individuals.

On the other hand, I have a friend who spent the first 5 or so years of her life in Tennessee, and she's always had that sweet-as-warm-honey drawl. It's often a shock to some people when they realize just what's come out of her mouth! She was supposed to do a project for a Master's degree, and the instructor was making assignments to different agencies and picked a battered women's shelter for her. She said "Sweetie, yew reeelly don't want to put me thayer, cuz the first thang Ah'll dew is tell 'em where to bahy a guun, show 'em haow to shoot it, and tell 'em to kill the sumb*tch the next tahm he lays a hayund on 'em." Needless to say, she was assigned to a different place.
My kind of woman!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I don't get this "this looks like the real southwest and this doesn't" nonsense. What does "the real southwest" look like?

Got some time on your hands? Go spend a month in the "real southwest," and let me offer some places to look visit.....then tell me which is the real one. Start off with the Inn of the Mountain Gods in Ruidosa, NM. Then go spend some time in Midland/Odessa. Follow that with a visit to Shiprock. Then go to horseback to the top of Wheeler. Then south to El Paso. Then spend a bit of time on a ranch over in Guthrie, TX. Lets not even include the diversity of Arizona, the Big Bend in Texas, the Guadalupes in NM, or Carlsbad Caverns.

Notice I didn't include any of Oklahoma? That is because the geographic characteristics found in the above list can, with slight modifications, all be found in Oklahoma........all of those and more..........

The only thing EVERY southwestern town and area has in common is the diversity. About the only characteristic you can find that is common among them all is that Stetson hats, Tony Lama boots, and Wrangler jeans are considered appropriate wear, anywhere, and pick up trucks are considered family cars. Oh yeah, you will also find, for the most part, people willing to stop and help as well as a streak of independence as wide as the western sky.
Don't tell on us! Oklahoma and Texas ain't worth a damn, for nuthin'. Unless you got balls the size of Houston, you cain't live here. You best wear boots, cause we're all fulla ****. We drive pick ups 'cause most of us have animals. You're almost required to work during the day and raise animals, just to make a living.

You'll have to shovel a buncha stuff down here.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,441,833 times
Quote:
Nor western accents

Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 AM

Default You blew it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
I can honestly say that I have never met an Okie (that is actually from OK and not a transplant) that does not have an accent. Of course, it doesn't sound like an accent to me, just normal. I have been astounded to go to other places in the U.S. (especially the East/West coast and the Midwest) and learn that other folks think that Okies have a southern accent.

Now, it must be noted this is not the "drawl" of the Deep South. It has actually been said that it is more "twangy" as seen most commonly in the host of country music stars from Oklahoma. For Oklahoma males, Toby Keith (Moore, OK) is a pretty good indication of how most Okie men talk. For Oklahoma gals, probably a cross between Carrie Underwood (Checotah, OK) and Reba McEntire (McAlester, OK) represents the female Okie accent best (if you're familiar with country music consider Kellie Coffey from Moore, OK).

So, the answer is yes, the Okie accent is southern....yet, it is more of a "Western South" type of accent.....ergo...a little more cowboyish. This accent can be heard in pretty much all of Texas and western Arkansas if that helps.
Okies, Texans and people from Arkansas know the difference. I know a Burleson accent differs from Fort Worth. Okies are way different. Lumping us together, doesn't make it right.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:26 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,441,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetkiller View Post
Okies, Texans and people from Arkansas know the difference. I know a Burleson accent differs from Fort Worth. Okies are way different. Lumping us together, doesn't make it right.
Okay. That has not been my experience, but go ahead and explain your point so I understand what you're getting at.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:20 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,449,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

HUH? Did I miss something. I don't think Synopsis was referring to anything like what you mentioned. At least I didnt take it that way. Marijuana or same sex marriage wasn't mentioned I didnt think...correct me if I am wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma