Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 11:24 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

Oh boy! Lets not californicate Oklahoma please!
Carbon dating here - I remember Alabama opening for Oakridge Boys! Lyrics have not changed much neither have chords and Justin is still around.
I will pick up Bawa's tab if he rides the (mechanical) bull at Cowboy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 03:40 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Oh boy! Lets not californicate Oklahoma please!
Carbon dating here - I remember Alabama opening for Oakridge Boys! Lyrics have not changed much neither have chords and Justin is still around.
I will pick up Bawa's tab if he rides the (mechanical) bull at Cowboy's.
LOL! Okay, I would like to see that.

I'll pay Bass n Catfish $10 to get on one! And free beer all night if he stays on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFrGbaGA60Q

Old 08-30-2016, 12:09 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
LOL! Okay, I would like to see that.

I'll pay Bass n Catfish $10 to get on one! And free beer all night if he stays on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFrGbaGA60Q
A appreciate some of the video angles of that footage very much, RB!

Hell, you know I'd ride that mechanical bull for free! I'm about like guy#1, contestant#3 in line of the video.....and yes, I will partake in the endless gratuitous beer consumption.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:28 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
He started a thread about it on another forum. I suppose all those conservative preachers have those deejays cow towed. Or perhaps the deejays do their hedonistic thing on Saturday night and go to church on Sunday morning and that's what causes them to temper down the music.

Or maybe it's just that the wagon train with the records doesn't get to OKC for four years after the records get made in Californee.
Haha this is a funny joke but it isn't that far from reality in OKC (and all of rural America actually). It takes a while for musical or really any pop culture trends to make it here and some things never do. There isn't as big of a gulf as there used to be, in the 80s for instance, now that we have the Internet, but it still does exist.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:03 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Haha this is a funny joke but it isn't that far from reality in OKC (and all of rural America actually). It takes a while for musical or really any pop culture trends to make it here and some things never do. There isn't as big of a gulf as there used to be, in the 80s for instance, now that we have the Internet, but it still does exist.

Stop it. Tulsa at least is not behind on any music. Tulsa is a serious music city and has been one for a very long time.

Here are the top 10 alternative songs of 2016 (so far), all but one have played Tulsa:
  1. twenty one pilots - Heathens - Played at Cains 9/15/14 and at the BOK Center 2/21/17
  2. X Ambassadors - Unsteady - Played at Cains 3/20/12 and Brady 12/16/15
  3. Coldplay - Hymn for the Weekend - Played at the BOK Center two weeks ago
  4. twenty one pilots - Ride - Played at Cains 9/15/14 and at the BOK Center 2/21/17
  5. Kings of Leon - Waste of a Moment - Are from Oklahoma
  6. twenty one pilots - Stressed Out - Played at Cains 9/15/14 and at the BOK Center 2/21/17
  7. Fitz and the Tantrums - Hand Clap - Played at the Cains in July
  8. Green Day - Revolution Radio - Brady Theater back in 2001
  9. Kaleo - Way Down We Go - Has not played Tulsa
  10. Bishop Briggs - River - Opened for Coldplay two weeks ago

Aside from Kings of Leon who have a family compound 80 miles south of Tulsa other current big alternative artists actually from Tulsa include St Vincent, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey and Ben Rector. Grammy winning pop musician, producer and lead singer and song writer for OneRepublic Ryan Tedder is from Tulsa and graduated from ORU. 2008 American Idol winner David Cook lived in Tulsa and was a member of the Tulsa alt rock band Midwest Kings.

Then there are artists like Garth Brooks, Leon Russell (Rock Hall of Fame), Elvin Bishop (Rock Hall of Fame), JJ Cale (criminally not in the Rock Hall of Fame), Ronnie Dunn, The Gap Band (also criminally not in the Rock Hall of Fame), David Gates (of Bread), Bob Wills, Roy Clark, Anita Bryant and Hanson. The blues/southern rock “Tulsa Sound” style of music developed by JJ Cale, Leon Russell and others includes artists like Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler. Western Swing music was introduced to America in the 1930s from national radio broadcasts by Bob Wills from The Cains. The Brady is supposed to be haunted by Enrico Caruso as he got sick with the illness that killed him in Tulsa before a sold out show in 1921 at The Brady.

All the top new bands play here. All of them. I saw U2 in 1984 in front of maybe 1,000 people at Brady on the War tour. One of six US shows for the Sex Pistols was The Cains. Henry Rollins became a body builder after getting his ass kicked by some cowboys after a Black Flagg show at a little punk bar on 11th St owned by a guy I went to high school with in the mid 80s. Chicago Alternative icons Wilco filmed their concert movie at The Cains.

The BOK and The Cains are both top 25 selling venues in the world for their size.

Seriously. It’s time to drop the idea that all the music here sucks, or is old. Tulsa isn’t New York, LA, Austin or Memphis, but it’s much closer than you allow.

Last edited by swake; 09-13-2016 at 07:14 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 09:11 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Stop it. Tulsa at least is not behind on any music. Tulsa is a serious music city and has been one for a very long time.

Here are the top 10 alternative songs of 2016 (so far), all but one have played Tulsa:
  1. twenty one pilots - Heathens - Played at Cains 9/15/14 and at the BOK Center 2/21/17
  2. X Ambassadors - Unsteady - Played at Cains 3/20/12 and Brady 12/16/15
  3. Coldplay - Hymn for the Weekend - Played at the BOK Center two weeks ago
  4. twenty one pilots - Ride - Played at Cains 9/15/14 and at the BOK Center 2/21/17
  5. Kings of Leon - Waste of a Moment - Are from Oklahoma
  6. twenty one pilots - Stressed Out - Played at Cains 9/15/14 and at the BOK Center 2/21/17
  7. Fitz and the Tantrums - Hand Clap - Played at the Cains in July
  8. Green Day - Revolution Radio - Brady Theater back in 2001
  9. Kaleo - Way Down We Go - Has not played Tulsa
  10. Bishop Briggs - River - Opened for Coldplay two weeks ago

Aside from Kings of Leon who have a family compound 80 miles south of Tulsa other current big alternative artists actually from Tulsa include St Vincent, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey and Ben Rector. Grammy winning pop musician, producer and lead singer and song writer for OneRepublic Ryan Tedder is from Tulsa and graduated from ORU. 2008 American Idol winner David Cook lived in Tulsa and was a member of the Tulsa alt rock band Midwest Kings.

Then there are artists like Garth Brooks, Leon Russell (Rock Hall of Fame), Elvin Bishop (Rock Hall of Fame), JJ Cale (criminally not in the Rock Hall of Fame), Ronnie Dunn, The Gap Band (also criminally not in the Rock Hall of Fame), David Gates (of Bread), Bob Wills, Roy Clark, Anita Bryant and Hanson. The blues/southern rock “Tulsa Sound” style of music developed by JJ Cale, Leon Russell and others includes artists like Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler. Western Swing music was introduced to America in the 1930s from national radio broadcasts by Bob Wills from The Cains. The Brady is supposed to be haunted by Enrico Caruso as he got sick with the illness that killed him in Tulsa before a sold out show in 1921 at The Brady.

All the top new bands play here. All of them. I saw U2 in 1984 in front of maybe 1,000 people at Brady on the War tour. One of six US shows for the Sex Pistols was The Cains. Henry Rollins became a body builder after getting his ass kicked by some cowboys after a Black Flagg show at a little punk bar on 11th St owned by a guy I went to high school with in the mid 80s. Chicago Alternative icons Wilco filmed their concert movie at The Cains.

The BOK and The Cains are both top 25 selling venues in the world for their size.

Seriously. It’s time to drop the idea that all the music here sucks, or is old. Tulsa isn’t New York, LA, Austin or Memphis, but it’s much closer than you allow.
You are right. However, note that nowhere in my post did I mention Tulsa.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:39 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
@swake--

I was at that same U2 gig in '84!

I agree Oklahoma is underrated.

For me, the most negative aspects of the state are:

1. Too landlocked. I need and want to be closer to the Ocean. And soon will be, fingers crossed.

2. I really dislike OKC. Just don't get on with it at all.

3. For the most part, our legislators are moonbat crazy imbeciles. Just vile. But I feel that way about most US politicians across the board, both parties. Love my state, love my country, distrust and am disgusted by our governments, generally speaking.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:44 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
PS-- to anyone:

On mechanical bulls...does someone control those as in remote control, or are their movements just random?

Old 09-16-2016, 11:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Apparently a college classmate of mine felt the same way. He got a summer internship in Bartlesville, which turned into a permanent job there when he graduated a few months later. He was so giddy on the way there and spent his spare time exploring the region during that internship. Apparently he fell in love with Oklahoma after that experience. (I don't know if he is still there after the recent oil downturn, but more than likely he was retained.)

Old 09-18-2016, 07:36 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
PS-- to anyone:

On mechanical bulls...does someone control those as in remote control, or are their movements just random?
Someone controls it. There is also a mechanical rodeo penis, in case anyone is interested. Just google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma