Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:58 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Oklahoma for most (not all of my life). Mostly I lived up and down I-35 with a couple of 2 year stints in Wilburton and Poteau. I had been mostly around Norman and then recently Chickasha.

Recently I moved to Foss lake (temporarily) which is about halfway between Clinton and Elk City just about 10 miles north of I-40.

We have tumbleweeds here.

I bring this up because I had never lived anywhere in Oklahoma that had them before.

I never saw any in Chickasha, Noble and Norman which were the places I lived prior to coming out here. People who live out here are surprised when I say I've never seen one in central Oklahoma (although I never lived in the country)

My question for the forum is whether you have seen tumbleweeds in YOUR part of Oklahoma??

I am curious if there is sort of a "tumbleweed divide" in the state.

Oklahoma is a fascinating state in that it literally is the transition state between east/west and north/south of all these United States. The tumbleweed line is just another evidence of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 05:18 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
It IS a fascinating state in that is one of only four (or five?) states with 10 or more ecoregions. You will see tumbleweeds west of I-35, maybe even a few East of there. The state is so diverse you can practically live in almost any environment that you want. You'll still be subjected to hot summers, but in Oklahoma there are grasslands, prairies, mountains, swamps, forests, arid semi-desert environments, and more. It truly is one of the most diverse states in the entire United States.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:41 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Default Ecoregions

It is interesting that you mention ecoregions because I have been studying them all day. The impetus of this is that guy ajf 131 (from Missouri) who does nothing on the US board but rip Oklahoma. (I think he has us confused with someplace else). Anyway, I have a ranking of all the level III ecoregions as they are grouped by state. (Level I and Level II are too large to use in a state vs. state. Level IV is probably too precise)

Alaska has 20 of them and all of them are unique to Alaska. Hawaii hasn't been mapped yet. So that leaves the "Lower 48".

California and Texas have 12 Level III ecoregions. Oklahoma has 11 or 12 depending on what source you use. The EPA has us with 12.

Oregon and Washington have 9 or 10 depending on the source.

Oklahoma easily has more ecoregions per square mile than these states and Washington is the only one that is even close.

Alaska has one ecoregion per every 33,163 square miles
Texas has an one ecoregion per every 22,382 square mile
California 1/13,641 sq mile
Oklahoma 1/6,354 sq mile

Oregon 1/9,838 sq mile
Washington 1/7,922 sq mile

So Oklahoma is tied for #1 in the number of Ecoregions in the state

As far as ecoregions per square mile, Oklahoma is #14. However none of the states ahead of them on this list have more than 8 ecoregions.

Tennessee, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania all have 8 ecoregions
Virginia and New Jersey have 7
Indiana and Maryland have 6
Massachussetts, New Hampshire and Delaware (#1 per square mile among all states) have 3
Vermont and Connecticut have 2
Rhode Island has 1.

So as far as diversity (as defined by ecoregions) Oklahoma appears to be #1 if you combine the total number of ecoregions and the number per square depending on how you would want to weigh each factor.

Last edited by eddie gein; 02-24-2008 at 07:14 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 04:19 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
You are talking to someone that loves tumbleweeds. When I was 7 I asked my dad to get me one, and he refused. I remember thinking when I grew up that the man that would stop and get me a tumbleweed would be the right man for me. Well, my DH stopped to get me one. When we lived in CA we moved out onto a farm that had tumbleweeds around the house. I took a photo while they were still there. In later times I had gathered them up on the hill, and the quail loved them. But alas, I have not seen a tumbleweed in Oklahoma, but if I ever seen one on my travels rest assured that I will bring it home.

And my favorite song when I was 7 was Tumbling Tumbleweeds.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:34 PM

402 posts, read 1,060,916 times
Jessaka

Quote:
I have not seen a tumbleweed in Oklahoma, but if I ever seen one on my travels rest assured that I will bring it home

Just for you ..Google Image Result for http://www.hyperborea.org/journal/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/tumbleweed-cluster.jpg

Of course if you should order and they start spreading into the country and farmlands ......well (I don't think farmers are very fond of Tumbleweeds)

I remember as a child, hoeing tumbleweeds and sunflowers out of the fields. My daddy used to say he wished he could come up with a way to make money selling the darn things. Well now Sunflowers (highbred of course) are used for everything, even Jerusalim Artichokes are roots from some sunflowers. While looking for a picture of a tumbleweed snowman (they are very easy to make and quite novel), I find you can actually buy them for landscapeing etc. Who knew?!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:24 PM

708 posts, read 687,660 times
tumbleweeds are so western..i always see imagine them in a western movie where there is like gun off or w/e and just a random tumbleweed goes by haha!!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
This should get you a tumbleweed fix...

YouTube - Tumbleweeds

Old 02-27-2008, 06:30 AM

okay, it is time to put my photo of my house with tumbleweeds up. but gosh, that will take some doing and i may have forgotten everything i learned from synopsis.

That was a beat Utube. Looks like Creston. Thanks so much.

Thanks Choctaw. First time I had a plant growing in my garden like that I didn't know what it was until it got big enough to identify. I have seen tumbleweeds sprayed white and sit on tables at Christmas time. Had I moved here from Creston I would have brought some with me, but I never saw them in San Diego. The other thing I miss is having pearly everlasting flowers. I know they grow here but I have not found a source in the wild. Just saw one bunch growing.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 02-27-2008 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 06:56 AM

Hey, this is cool. I remembered how to do it.

This is a farm house we rented in Creston, CA. We remodeled it by putting on a backporch, paint, etc. My brother said that the only thing that would help the house was a match, but he didn't know our abilities. I miss this place still, but mainly because it was 160 acres and very peaceful with just oats and tumbleweeds.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:27 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,020 times
We saw some tumbleweeds in the OK panhandle a few weeks ago on our way to CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma