Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 12,516 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,
My wife and I would like to move to Oklahoma in a couple of years when we retire. We are looking for input regarding some of the nicest rural areas to live in OK as far as beauty, weather, and general likeability . We own horses, and we would like to purchase a house and about 15-20 acres of good pasture land for our retirement home. We are wanting to return to Oklahoma, because both of us have OK heritage. My dad was born and raised in Battiest, and my mom was born and raised in Stigler. My wife's brother lives near Pauls Valley. We are desiring to be near hunting and fishing areas, while at the same time be near adequate shopping and healthcare facilities. We are both very comfortable and confident with our decision to move to OK. We are just unsure as to exactly where in OK we should migrate to. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 06:39 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,790,505 times
I am from Ada, Oklahoma - a small city of about 17,000 in East Central Oklahoma, probably only about 25 miles or so from Pauls Valley. Pauls Valley is a nice town, btw. Ada has a four-year university (East Central University), two hospitals, and plenty of shopping places. Ada is amidst some rolling, wooded hills and is actually a pretty area. The city is undergoing quite a boom in the economy lately, with all kinds of stores and franchises moving in. They already have a Home Depot and will soon have a Lowes Home Improvement from what I hear.

I also hear that Tahlequah in the Northeastern part of the state is really nice (much prettier than Ada); it is in or near the Boston Mountains, I believe. Then there is Grove, further north, more of a tourist town, but very nice. I believe that Tahlequah (Northeastern State Univ. there) and Grove would be more expensive than areas like Ada and Pauls Valley because they are in more beautiful, scenic parts of the state and attract more tourists. As far as medical and shopping for Grove and Tahlequah, being they are somewhat retirement communities as well I believe their health facilities would be more than adequate.

Ada's closest "big" city would be Ok City and as for Grove and Tahlequah, the closest big city would be Tulsa - a fine place all its own, but probably too large for your taste.

You might also check out Bartlesville, North of Tulsa about 45 miles. Reno, NV has the title of "Biggest Little City" but I believe that really should go to Bartlesville. The population is only about 35,000 but the town has several tall high-rises and looks like a miniature Tulsa. I'm sure the medical facilities and shopping in Bartlesville are first rate.

There are plenty of smaller towns all across Oklahoma that are quite pretty and secluded. Your priorities of health facilities and shopping will help you narrow that somewhat. The largest cities in Oklahoma are (in no particular order) Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Lawton, and I believe Enid may be in the mix somewhere. Enid is in the Northern part of the State, probably about 90 miles North of Oklahoma City and 120 miles West of Tulsa. Enid is another town that definitely has its own shopping and hospital facilities.

Stillwater, where Oklahoma State University is located, is a very fine place from what I hear. It's about midway between Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

Oh, I almost forgot Mcalester about 50 miles east of Ada. Mcalester is an old town and one of my favorites. It's where the state prison is located but I wouldn't let that deter you. It's a nice place amid the foothills of the Ouachita (pronounced Wash-ita) Mountains in SE Oklahoma. Population is about the same size as Ada. Lots of lakes, hunting and fishing in that part of the country, same as in Ada or just about anywhere else in the eastern part of Oklahoma.

So, here's a list for you to check out (in no particular order):

Grove
Tahlequah
Ada
McAlester
Enid
Stillwater
Bartlesville

Use the City Data Main page to find out more about these cities. Just type in the city, state in the search box at:

http://www.city-data.com/

Also, for a really good map system. Go to

http://maps.google.com/

Type in the name of the city and it will instantly zoom in to about city level. But, using the mouse you can zoom out, pan around, and get a good perspective on where the town is located in a particular area. It also allows you to look at a satellite view or hybrid (satellite and map) of the area.

Good luck! If you need anymore help, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:56 AM

Oh, as for pasture land and owning acreage. The property values are starting to go up in many areas as I think many people such as yourself are beginning to look at Oklahoma as a retirement destination. I think you'll find the acreage in and around Ada, Pauls Valley, or McAlester would be cheaper than in Grove, Tahlequah, or Bartlesville. Ada, Pauls Valley, and McAlester are also more rurual (country-fide) than those other places, with perhaps the exception of Tahlequah, in my opinion. Hope this helps!

Old 12-08-2006, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 12,516 times
Default Reply to Synopsis

Synopsis,
Thank you so much for your wonderful information regarding the great state of Oklahoma. I am eager to retire from my many many years of teaching in the public schools of Bakersfield, CA and move to OK. I guess you could say that my wife and I will be doing the "Grapes of Wrath" migration in reverse.

We visit Oklahoma on vacations almost every other year. We love it there. Some people complain about the humidity. Others complain about the bugs. Still others complain about the tornadoes. I feel strongly that Oklahoma, or any other state for that matter...is what you make out of it.

I can't wait to leave this fast paced life out here in CA. The people out here in Bakersfield are friendly enough for the most part, but most CA people just don't understand what real friendliness and hospitality are all about. Most folks in Oklahoma understand these things fully.

It is neat that you mentioned ADA. Actually, on our last visit to OK last year, we looked at some nice property between Ada and Pauls Valley out in the rolling hills. That area looks pretty good to us. But, I don't want to rule out other areas that maybe we haven't considered yet.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:41 PM

Hi CA,
Not a problem at all. I totally understand what you mean about people out there not getting it in regards to friendliness and just being neighbourly. Folks in Oklahoma are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet, and I've lived and traveled around the world. I don't live there right now, we live in the DFW area, an area that is fast paced enough. I look forward to retiring to Oklahoma myself someday, and settling down into a quiet community without all of the hassle of big city life. Oklahoma is a great place. Sure it has some heat and humidity, but it also has beautiful Fall foliage, "snow days," rolling hills, and great cities with a wealth of things to do! I hope you find that perfect spot for you and your family.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:47 PM

184 posts, read 1,208,419 times
I was impressed with a poll I just saw regarding the Jan 12-14 ice storm. Even though some areas were hard hit 82% of Oklahoman's said electric utilities performed "excellent" or "good" in restoring power after the winter storm. And 86% answered similarly when asked about state and local law enforcement, fire and medical personnel.

Interestingly, it says that rural Oklahomans, who bore the brunt of the store were sometimes more complimentary than those in OKC or Tulsa.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:32 PM

184 posts, read 1,208,419 times
I like this map....I was looking for the greenest areas of the state and it shows it:
[url]http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=35.458095~-97.698943&style=h&lvl=7&scene=2915553&vendor=googl[/url] e&pkw=oklahoma_map

Old 06-05-2007, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 7,822 times
Hi Mover,

My wife and I also live in California (Ridgecrest) and have recently purchased a small ranch (64 ac) South of Stilwell Oklahoma for precisely the same reasons. Finding the land we wanted was not nearly as hard as deciding on which state to move to. Deciding to leave California was obvious.

Although most of the small towns and rural areas in Eastern OK are affordable once you get about 10 miles out of town, you will have to decide for your self what combination of attibutes you prefer.

I suggest that continuing to spend vacations there will help a great deal, as will comparing the real estate listings in the OKC, Tulsa, and Ft Smith advertisers (American Classifieds).

Enjoy the opportunity to decide.

Last edited by Jammie; 06-05-2007 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: no realtor suggestions.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,976 times
Smile Retire In Ok

I live on the outskirts of Luther and also live on 200 acres which my dad owns and he is selling lots for people to build on, we have a 15 acre lake and we also have 3 horses right now, there will also be an equestrian horse palace....they are doing so much to the land and it is beautiful so feel free to come and check it out....Luther is between Arcadia and Wellston Ok.....you would love it if you are looking to build your own home....I love Ok we have lived there for 17 years now......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma