U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2018, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
10,487 posts, read 7,740,203 times
Reputation: 9247

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawtonHighIsn'tTheBestSch View Post
Lawton High is arguably the worst school in Lawton. It's rife with violence and a student was on the roof threatening to blow the school up last year.
So how would you rank the three Lawton HS and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2018, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Lawton/ Medicine Park area
81 posts, read 256,555 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So how would you rank the three Lawton HS and why?
Depends on what ranking you are looking at?

Age of Schools -
Lawton High - Oldest and looks it.
Eisenhower - Middle child - Starting to look like it is the oldest but recent "Fixes" have made it look better.
MacArthur - Youngest but time and Oklahoma weather has started taking it's toll on the outside.

Education - All three have great programs for "Those" that want to learn.
All three high school have excelled at different styles of scholastic competition.
So with that, each are probably equal to that degree.

Sports -
Football - MacArthur has been to the state semi-finals or finals the last couple of years. Lawton High same situation. Eisenhower has not had a good football program for several years - be it the coach or players that just wanted to say they were on the team - not quite sure why, but could be that they have had a rapid drop is school population during that same time frame as families are moving out of Lawton to the smaller school districts to the West and North of Lawton.
Wrestling - MacArthur has a great program that took State last year and is working on it again this year. Lawton High / Eisenhower are kind of just there. Booth schools have some really good individual wrestlers
Basketball - All three school both boys and girls are enjoying success on the court this year and last. All three school should make it to the state playoffs with Eisenhower and MacArthur having the bad luck of being in the same 5A level District and Conference - so one of them might not make it.
Baseball - All three schools have some good teams, I don't follow this level of baseball - sorry.
Swimming - Yes, Lawton schools do have a Swim team - The Barracudas - and they are pretty good taking state a couple of times. I do think it is a combined team of all three schools but I could be wrong.
Bowling -Yes, they have bowling teams too and they are not too bad with MacArthur in the state playoff tournament right now.

Population - State of Oklahoma looks at Student population of all schools every two/three years to put them in classification for all activities / sports... 6A being largest to B and or C being the smallest depending on the sport.
Lawton High - Largest population making it a 6A level school
Eisenhower - Was a 6A school, but as stated above, families moving out of the area, Dropped them to 5A last year.
MacArthur - Close to Eisenhower in Student Population - making it a 5A school

Now after a long winded thesis - Right now I do think that MacArthur is probably the best school in Lawton for all aspects of learning and sports.

My thought is also this:
Lawton should really look at building another High School.
This would help ease the Student population at all three schools even though there is no budget in the school system for another school. Lawton High has the highest student population of the three and a new school located in South Central Lawton would help ease this problem.

This is why there has been a mass movement of families moving to other school districts, like Cache, Elgin, Geronimo with Elgin gaining the most over the last few years. Those schools have a smaller student population giving the teachers less students to teach or more one on one learning when needed.

Again, just my thought
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2018, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
20,715 posts, read 15,300,701 times
Reputation: 6317
Quote:
Originally Posted by j67bubba View Post
Lawton should really look at building another High School.
This would help ease the Student population at all three schools even though there is no budget in the school system for another school. Lawton High has the highest student population of the three and a new school located in South Central Lawton would help ease this problem.

This is why there has been a mass movement of families moving to other school districts, like Cache, Elgin, Geronimo with Elgin gaining the most over the last few years. Those schools have a smaller student population giving the teachers less students to teach or more one on one learning when needed.

Again, just my thought
No budget? Then get it budgeted. Stillwater has been replacing all its oldest elementary schools with sprawling new ones. Not too long ago the high school got a badly needed new football stadium. All of it was done by simply asking people to vote in favor of school bonds. Possibly the next bond request will be to seek approval of using property already owned north of the stadium to build additional new athletic facilities, such as a swimming pool.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Lawton/ Medicine Park area
81 posts, read 256,555 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No budget? Then get it budgeted. Stillwater has been replacing all its oldest elementary schools with sprawling new ones. Not too long ago the high school got a badly needed new football stadium. All of it was done by simply asking people to vote in favor of school bonds. Possibly the next bond request will be to seek approval of using property already owned north of the stadium to build additional new athletic facilities, such as a swimming pool.
Yeah, last year they passed a bond to replace one of the Middle (JR) Schools that is literally falling apart at the seems, new buses and of course to add those much needed safe rooms to some of the elementary schools for our fun Tornado's we get here in our area.

Football stadium for one school, must be nice.
All three schools in Lawton share Cameron Univ. Football Stadium (Cameron x'd football almost 30 years ago) but the school system pays to to use the place and also some of the upgrades that are needed there - like new turf and new locker rooms for the teams when there is a game.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2018, 12:10 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,835 posts, read 13,164,070 times
Reputation: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimise View Post
I am looking to relocate my family to Lawton Ok. We have two boys.. 17 and 11. What are you thoughts? What is it to do there? We are from S. FL
I have never been to Lawton Oklahoma , but my Auntie is from Oklahoma City "she says" it's not that much to do in Lawton . However I would say 85 miles away from Oklahoma City , 45 miles away from Wichita Falls Texas , and 175 miles away from Dallas Texas ...an okay place to live for those that can get away . I Also heard that there was a large African American population and that's very unusual for Oklahoma.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2018, 12:54 PM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
19,404 posts, read 8,655,175 times
Reputation: 8180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I have never been to Lawton Oklahoma , but my Auntie is from Oklahoma City "she says" it's not that much to do in Lawton . However I would say 85 miles away from Oklahoma City , 45 miles away from Wichita Falls Texas , and 175 miles away from Dallas Texas ...an okay place to live for those that can get away . I Also heard that there was a large African American population and that's very unusual for Oklahoma.

There isn't much to do here... every weekend my wife asks "What are we gonna do this weekend?" and it often involves OKC or DFW. As for Wichita Falls, we believe it actually offers less unless you're into national chain restaurants. its downtown is, however, revitalizing with a lot of local businesses. Lawton has no real downtown, at least it doesn't look like similar places such as Fort Smith or Enid.

The demographics of Lawton are very diverse. It's celebrated annually at the International Festival.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2018, 09:43 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,835 posts, read 13,164,070 times
Reputation: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
There isn't much to do here... every weekend my wife asks "What are we gonna do this weekend?" and it often involves OKC or DFW. As for Wichita Falls, we believe it actually offers less unless you're into national chain restaurants. its downtown is, however, revitalizing with a lot of local businesses. Lawton has no real downtown, at least it doesn't look like similar places such as Fort Smith or Enid.

The demographics of Lawton are very diverse. It's celebrated annually at the International Festival.
Correct I totally agree with everything that you said so far. Lawton is a US Army training base And 45 miles away in Wichita Falls Texas you have a Air Force training base for Air Force and NATO Pilots , so the two communities are diverse both nationally and internationally. The most impressive thing about Lawton to me is thiers little mountain range and lakes just outside of town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2018, 10:05 AM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
19,404 posts, read 8,655,175 times
Reputation: 8180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Correct I totally agree with everything that you said so far. Lawton is a US Army training base And 45 miles away in Wichita Falls Texas you have a Air Force training base for Air Force and NATO Pilots , so the two communities are diverse both nationally and internationally. The most impressive thing about Lawton to me is thiers little mountain range and lakes just outside of town.
That "mountain range" (growing up in AZ, we had more of the real thing, not Sierras or Rockies, but not hills) is a nice break from the flatness of the Plains. I look out my back porch door and see the Wichitas and Mount Scott, which you can drive to the top of. (Below)


Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2018, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
20,715 posts, read 15,300,701 times
Reputation: 6317
The many mesquite trees fronting the highway are another different sight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 06:30 PM
 
226 posts, read 429,133 times
Reputation: 137
Default Is lawton in Tornado's path?

From the information we saw it looks like lawton is in Tornado path. Ok we are coming down this June to look at housing. We have been reading that its very quiet in lawton. Not much to do. We live in a very quiet neighborhood now so that will work for us. Btw is there lots of big box stores or mom and pop shops in lawton or near by? We are looking for an area outside the city that we can have a small homesteads Garden fram but also near shoping and banking and a post office. Where should we look for such an neighborhood? If not lawton please recommend an area near by that allow small farming. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top