Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Microsoft windows upgrade: configure, Linux setup, T1 line, Photoshop, Unix hosting.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:55 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,860,078 times

Advertisements

Thanks to TheComputerGuy's expert guidance, I am now "Windoze" free! I'm now running this computer from the Linux Operating System, which is FAR superior to Windoze. Light years faster in every aspect, bug free, and best of all, it's FREE!

I'm loving this CG! You are THE MAN!

Thanks for all your help. You are a professional in what you do and even had patient while I was banging my head because of problems that I created and were not from the installation itself.

I love this! Woot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 03:44 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,496,575 times
Well, clue us in. Did you just go out and buy it and download it? What is so great about it, compare and contrast, etc.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:51 PM

You don't buy it, it's FREE! you download the Operating System setup disks and then go through the installation, which is rather simple if you don't want to run two operating systems on the same hard drive. I chose to go all the way and install only linux, with CG's help. He talked me through the installation and my computer reacts faster than I have ever seen before. Everything is so fast!

The interface is simple and easy, the response time in my computer is phenomenal, downloads, internet surfing, EVERYTHING is far superior to Windoze..

I highly suggest going to Linux..

You will need help on the install if you decide to go that way though. But man, I am computer happy now!

Old 12-30-2007, 03:52 PM

702 posts, read 2,511,886 times
Where you been????????? I've been running RedHat Fedora and SuSE for several years now!

Old 12-30-2007, 03:53 PM

Here's the website, but I suggest getting some pro help on the install.

briansgi, I have been in the clouds until now. It's like a whole new era in computing..

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

Old 12-30-2007, 05:48 PM

How come idiots like me have never heard of anything other than windoze. I mean I have heard of Linux, but I thought it was just some program or whatever.

I have a T1 line for downloads at my other place. Sounds like its worth looking into.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
How come idiots like me have never heard of anything other than windoze. I mean I have heard of Linux, but I thought it was just some program or whatever.

I have a T1 line for downloads at my other place. Sounds like its worth looking into.
Redbird, you ABSOLUTELY have to look into installing this on your computer. It's not just "another program," it is an entirely different operating system, like Windows and Macintosh, but BETTER.. My computer is lightening fast now. Both on the Internet and elsewhere. CG can help you, but I don't wish to volunteer his services on my behalf - the guy is still sick, yet he still helped me through the install (God Bless you CG). CG is the consummate professional; no wonder he has his own business. It's not just because of his technical knowledge, but his bedside manner. CG, once again, you are THE MAN!

I love this OS!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:59 PM

70 posts, read 283,856 times
Linux fans can cheer all they want.

Until companies like Adobe, Autodesk, Avid and others start selling native Linux builds of their graphics applications I will not even remotely consider making a platform switch.

Overall, operating systems mean very little in the great scheme of things. Applications are what makes any given platform great, not the OS itself.

The Mac didn't rise to the top in creative circles over the OS alone. If you wanted to do professional computer graphics work between the late 1980s and much of the 1990s you needed a Mac to get the work done. Over the last decade Microsoft has matched Apple by virtue of all the best graphics applications being available for Windows too.

Adobe has no plans on ever creative Linux native versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and its other industry leading professional applications.

I'm not interested at all in trying to run those applications under any kind emulation mode in Linux either. ALL emulation systems are slow, no matter how fiercely any fanboy cheer leads for it.

That basically leaves no advantage whatsoever for me to get my professional graphics work done using a Linux machine alone. I'm only going to be guaranteed of getting my work done more slowly and less productively just for the luxury of not paying Microsoft or Apple any money.

Before anyone even tries to suggest it, open source, Linux native graphics applications like The Gimp and Inkscape are no substitute for Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby H View Post
Linux fans can cheer all they want.

Until companies like Adobe, Autodesk, Avid and others start selling native Linux builds of their graphics applications I will not even remotely consider making a platform switch.

Overall, operating systems mean very little in the great scheme of things. Applications are what makes any given platform great, not the OS itself.

The Mac didn't rise to the top in creative circles over the OS alone. If you wanted to do professional computer graphics work between the late 1980s and much of the 1990s you needed a Mac to get the work done. Over the last decade Microsoft has matched Apple by virtue of all the best graphics applications being available for Windows too.

Adobe has no plans on ever creative Linux native versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and its other industry leading professional applications.

I'm not interested at all in trying to run those applications under any kind emulation mode in Linux either. ALL emulation systems are slow, no matter how fiercely any fanboy cheer leads for it.

That basically leaves no advantage whatsoever for me to get my professional graphics work done using a Linux machine alone. I'm only going to be guaranteed of getting my work done more slowly and less productively just for the luxury of not paying Microsoft or Apple any money.

Before anyone even tries to suggest it, open source, Linux native graphics applications like The Gimp and Inkscape are no substitute for Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.
I'm fine with it, it is great...

Old 12-30-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby H View Post
ALL emulation systems are slow, no matter how fiercely any fanboy cheer leads for it.

That basically leaves no advantage whatsoever for me to get my professional graphics work done using a Linux machine alone.

Fanboy cheer? LOL Do I hear bronx cheers from the opposing bench? Hope I didn't start any geek wars, I just wanted to hear some compare/contrast for Linux/Windoze, and BobbyH raises a good point on applications.

I am not a professional graphic artist, nor do I need photoshop to complete any professional work, so for simple home computing Linux is still worth checking in to for me. Besides, Gimp is enough of a challenge for me as it is.

Its good to hear the good, bad, and the ugly about any topic. So, I appreciate hearing BobbyH's perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma