Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,710 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to the Ponca City area. Can anyone give us any thoughts on Ponca City? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 12:15 AM

3 posts, read 10,694 times
Thumbs up re: Ponca City

It helps if you give more information so the responder will have some context for remarks. {Throw a bone and you're more likely to get one!}
I grew up in PC in the 70's but don't live there now. If you like boating and fishing you're in luck. If you like the theater or foie gras, you're not.
If you are friendly and would like to fit-in in a small town, and don't need constant external stimulation, you're in luck.
If you like fine dining and big-time entertainment, you just have to drive to Oklahoma City (maybe Tulsa less maybe Wichita). PC is close to Stillwater, home of OSU, for more options.
take care->

Old 01-21-2007, 12:23 PM

184 posts, read 1,212,153 times
We sold a home there (bought when Conoco was going strong) and sold it in 1999.....took a horrible hit on it.

But the Mexican restaurant at the airport was really good....people flew in to eat there.

Conn ? Gardens is very pretty.

It is a quiet town.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:54 AM

94 posts, read 612,611 times
I lived in Ponca City and managed the Domino's Pizza there, along with my husband, from November 1998 through October 2006.

Ponca is a very pretty city, with parks galore. There is a very nice community there which revolves around family. Churches, schools, organized sports, and the YMCA rule there. It is a wonderful place to raise children, with a great school system and fairly low crime.

It is true that there isn't a whole lot to do there. There are a total of seven movie screens in town. Very few, if any, restaurants are open past 11:00 pm or so. There are a couple of nice restaurants there. El Chico's and Chili's. Seems like there was something else coming when we left.

It is close to Kaw and Ponca Lakes. Available there are boating, swimming, parks, recreation areas, beautiful scenery, and friendly people. I've always particularly enjoyed the Fourth of July activities at Ponca Lake.

I look back on my time in Ponca City with much fondness. I am now living in Gallup, New Mexico, which has been a culture shock. Only here for three months, I long for the beauty and greenness of Oklahoma.

It is true that it would be helpful to know what you look for in a home. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 07-16-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-05-2007, 04:10 AM

146 posts, read 1,010,926 times
We lived in Tonkawa for seven years before job loss forced us on to greener pastures. We owned a lovely home in Tonkawa that was much cheaper being there that Ponca City. It was a short commute and we had a nice library and a lovely little college close by as well as a community swimming pool. You might consider there, your housing dollar will go much farther. Oh, did I mention that our house taxes on a two story, five bedroom colonial house were $124.00 a year with our homestead exemption. Most places, house taxes will run in the hundreds, or even thousands.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,672 times
What area near Oklahoma city has low crime and is a safe area? And what is the environment like living in that town? For example : Weather,People, Stores (are they near by or further) etc.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:12 AM

491 posts, read 1,475,758 times
Weather near OKC will be just like that of OKC. You can get stats online. OKC has the most stores. Everywhere else has less. People are people wherever you go but for the most part, Okies have a reputation for being friendly.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,877 times
want to know how safe is ponca city NOW in 2014. lived there 19 years ago and loved it. wanna relocate but hearing bad stuff about crime and gangs in Ponca City

Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
While there are worse towns, newcomers can do Oklahoma better than Ponca City.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:14 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
I agree, it seemed kind of run down and depressing when I visited there last year. It didn't seem unsafe, but I did not get a "Mayberry" vibe from it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma