Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Apparently you are the only one.

White, not conservative, pagan, retired after getting on disability, not at all rich, small old house... but I feel quite comfortable here. People don't seem to need to get into one's face over politics, and yes, there are pagans here. And I like my small house, and after ten years, are used to the weather. But what I don't know if I could take in California would be that *rushing around* which is everywhere. I like my quiet corner where I never have to *hurry*.

Sure, I'd love to live in California, but the one I loved which was there before the one it grew to replace. Not only has all my problems with SMOG gone away, but the big crush of other people, no matter how familiar and cool their work is its still this push push push, on a train going as fast as it can. I can enjoy the tech when its finished sitting in my little house where I feel very relaxed and do what I most enjoy even if its not super today.

If you insist in politics match, and everyone thinks like you do, and you are going to go out and change it all best to stay home. If you are willing to let people be AS THEY ARE, I've found people here are not going to try to change you, even if there's some real distance. As a loner of sorts, that's just fine with me.

Just as if you moved to socal from here, if you expected people to be just like at home, you'd have to adjust something in your life. But whatever it leaves to get used to, the sheer hurry you're supposed to be in in socal might be the hardest change of all.

People have assumptions and rules and plans and other things which arrainge how things are, and sometimes you don't even know until you leave and open a different door, if its coming to a new place or leaving for one. This helps keep us from falling into ruts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 02:21 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

I very nearly decided to move, but the dollar cost of living some place else made me think hard about it. And it looks like Cushing is doing a LOT to improve itself. I've thought about if I was to move, where I'd go and as I'm used to the quiet of a town like this, something like a busy suburb does not fit me anymore.
But poor Cushing, if the traffic lights at every intersection in downtown are still flashing red both ways, it gives off an eerie vibe signaling, at least to me, that Cushing is still not the same after that awful earthquake.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:38 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
But what I don't know if I could take in California would be that *rushing around* which is everywhere. I like my quiet corner where I never have to *hurry*.
It isn't everywhere. Plenty of the state is still rural and quiet. Really, the part that is kind of high density and rush-rush is the Bay Area and the SoCal coastal strip. Get 50 miles inland or from Salinas south to Santa Barbara or the North Coast and it calms down a lot.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:26 PM

231 posts, read 390,782 times
I was a Californian who moved to Oklahoma in 2008. Moved back to California in 2011 due to a fantastic job offer from a former employer that I could not turn down.

I am hoping to move back to Oklahoma in late 2019 or early 2020. Probably to Bartlesville or Ponca City.

When I left CA, I missed the weather and the beach. I was fortunate to have sold my CA home in 2007, and bought again in 2012 for about 30% less than I had previously sold.

It took a year to get used to the weather, but with central heat and air I survived. I LOVED the people of Oklahoma. I met some of the nicest, kindest, helpful people. I had great neighbors. I was amazed at how much people in OK look after their neighbors and friends.

As retirement nears, I can't wait to get back to Oklahoma.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But poor Cushing, if the traffic lights at every intersection in downtown are still flashing red both ways, it gives off an eerie vibe signaling, at least to me, that Cushing is still not the same after that awful earthquake.

Its hard to forget that one.We'd had a lot of smaller ones, and for a while you'd get shakes and everyone would get quiet. Then nobody got anything done for a while, with number 2 waiting. But I lived in socal all my life up to here. We had some very bad quakes. But that one shook harder and longer and worse than most of them.

I haven't seen anything about if the new building here, and repairs, is hiding older stuff. I put things out around the house and notice every window or loose item which can fall over.

I miss some of the down town stores which were just wonderful to visit, especially the book store, and would love to visit again if its come home.

One good thing about this house is its all wood, and come a shaker would be more likely to fall flatter and have fewer chunks fall. I'd still rather be in a small house here with a quake than one of these really tall buildings, especially on an upper floor.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:44 PM

30,157 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Its hard to forget that one.We'd had a lot of smaller ones, and for a while you'd get shakes and everyone would get quiet. Then nobody got anything done for a while, with number 2 waiting. But I lived in socal all my life up to here. We had some very bad quakes. But that one shook harder and longer and worse than most of them.

I haven't seen anything about if the new building here, and repairs, is hiding older stuff. I put things out around the house and notice every window or loose item which can fall over.

I miss some of the down town stores which were just wonderful to visit, especially the book store, and would love to visit again if its come home.

One good thing about this house is its all wood, and come a shaker would be more likely to fall flatter and have fewer chunks fall. I'd still rather be in a small house here with a quake than one of these really tall buildings, especially on an upper floor.

Being originally from Southern California the occasional shaking in Cushing does bring back memories. And the ones I have felt when I have been home have been around 3.0 plus or minus. Just barely enough to know its really an earthquake and not a semi barrelling down the road. But the damage from the previous one downtown is serious. I remember one similar one in Pasadena, CA back in the 1980's. The downtown there had similar older brink buildings like Cushing and I remember the bricks all over the sidewalks.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:10 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,357,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbySey View Post
Originally from California, moved to Florida for a few years, hate the year round heat and humidity, now moving to OK, outside of Tulsa. House is on the market and looking forward to starting a new journey. Hopefully OK will NOT go the way of California. Texas and Florida are creeping in too many far lefties for my taste-they tend to ruin communities/states.
How do you know what is in Texas, having never lived there? Oklahomans are thick as thieves in Texas, especially those who taught school north of the Red River because of poor funding and teacher pay.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Being originally from Southern California the occasional shaking in Cushing does bring back memories. And the ones I have felt when I have been home have been around 3.0 plus or minus. Just barely enough to know its really an earthquake and not a semi barrelling down the road. But the damage from the previous one downtown is serious. I remember one similar one in Pasadena, CA back in the 1980's. The downtown there had similar older brink buildings like Cushing and I remember the bricks all over the sidewalks.

A few months ago I was in the area where the book store was, along the back of town. It still had broken shelves and broken windows and was dark. On one side of town, it looks alive and well, but cross a street to the other end and its closed and damaged buildings. The old theater is sitting looking vacant too. My guess would be that before it changes, these places will be gutted and repaired and effectively be new, so if the other side of town had the people, they may have problems with getting customers.

I'm hoping it does grow back over the area which looked pretty bad and more things of interest are started or return. I like the smaller, more personal businesses over something which looks like any old place. I can shop for general stuff on amazon. I also especially hope the book store is still here. I could spend a few hours there, and am sure to come home with at least one new book.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
It isn't everywhere. Plenty of the state is still rural and quiet. Really, the part that is kind of high density and rush-rush is the Bay Area and the SoCal coastal strip. Get 50 miles inland or from Salinas south to Santa Barbara or the North Coast and it calms down a lot.

I was especially saddened by the fire up in norcal near Redding which burned out the small town. Long before now, when I was still married, my ex and I were taking a vacation up that way, and just loved it. We lived in Riverside and it was getting more people, more high heat, and more smog every day. And we loved the nice relaxed way the people were. But we couldn't sell our house and ended up splitting. I still wanted a small and quiet place and ended up half the country away. I always wanted to go back and visit.

Now that I'm entirely used to the idea, its easy to see why. I like that nobody is in a rush here too. And people don't seem like they are out to prove something to all who they meet. It's more take it or leave, kind of like I remember California back before it got so crowded. And my family has a long history of socal.

What we really loved was the town was small and friendly, but a short drive away were tall trees and mountains and lots of birds. I feel sad that the trees may be gone and I hope the birds got away. I still hold that area below Shasta a dream to be a part of, though likely won't.

I remember getting home to our 50's house and among the traffic and perhaps the thing I regretted most of later was we just didn't try hard enough, though in truth with sales of homes at the time very low, it wasn't likely.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:44 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
I wonder how many of these Californians are former Okies themselves (whose ancestors moved from Oklahoma to California about a decade ago)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma