Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 09:54 AM

427 posts, read 363,423 times

Advertisements

Will be cruising through the state, doing some Route 66 and some Interstates, namely 44 and 40. What are the norms for the state? Is it leniant or strict? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 06:07 PM

23,897 posts, read 10,269,303 times
Is this a serious question?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:36 PM

641 posts, read 1,064,992 times
I've been to lots of states, and I'd say the answer is, average strictness. Just watch the small towns on the old roads.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:46 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,436,787 times
The small towns will eat you up.

Other than that you should be fine going with the flow of traffic, driving in the right lane and passing in the left. No left lane bandits!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:09 AM

Sounds good, thank you!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:46 PM

10,399 posts, read 15,484,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Will be cruising through the state, doing some Route 66 and some Interstates, namely 44 and 40. What are the norms for the state? Is it leniant or strict? Thank you!
You aren't African American male are you?

Old 06-23-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You aren't African American male are you?
Lol. White guy from Los Angeles

Old 06-24-2018, 10:46 PM

10,399 posts, read 15,484,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Lol. White guy from Los Angeles

LOL..... well it could be a whole lot worse you see your number one problem is that you're driving a car with a California tags on it. Arizona Highway Patrol along with Texas and Oklahoma (I call Oklahoma Baja Texas ) Highway Patrol will go a hundred miles out of theirs way to give a speeding ticket to a car with California tags on it.

It's a cult cultural thing for Southern States highway patrol to give tickets to folks from New York State ( or California) depending if you are southern USA like lets say Alabama, Mississippi, Florida , with the focus being on New York or southwestern states like Arizona texas-oklahoma with the focus being on California.

I stop doing road trips in the year of 2000 but I did a ton of road trips in the 1980s and 1990s. I'm almost a( 67 Years Young African-American man) that was born and raised in Metropolitan Tulsa Oklahoma , but who lived the majority of his (my) life in the state of California.

In the 1980s and 1990s I lived in Long Beach , San Francisco , Oakland and Vallejo California. My brother came out to S.F. California one time for a training session and my sister came out to Hayward California one time for a training session my mother came out twice first time to Monterey/Carmel to church service and the second time for my wedding in Vallejo CA. My father came out once for the Church service , However I've been out to Tulsa a boatload of times. So you see I am usually the one that's hitting the road making the road trips.

Here are a couple of 'Hints for you' about 5% of my road trip stories , some of them are so hilarious , some of them are so funny , some of them are so sad , but when I was young I really enjoyed road trips.

(1) Hint one look for fast moving 18 wheelers and get in theirs jetwash and follow them as far as possible. 18 wheelers jockeys are professional drivers and have CB radios and radar detectors. The highway patrol today have more Tools in their toolbox because they use helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft to monitor the speed of traffic.

(2) The highway patrol is aggressive around Phoenix Arizona but pretty laid-back around Tucson Arizona. I have more problems with Texas Interstate cops than any other Interstate cops in the whole country. And remember I called Oklahoma Baja Texas.

(3) Indian Reservation cops will pull you over but not give you a ticket , if you are driving for a long distance like cross country. The state of New Mexico Highway Patrol are pretty cool.

(4) when you see 18 wheelers going near the speed limit don't blow pass them speeding into a speed trap.

True stories.... I remember one road trip from the San Francisco Bay Area to Tulsa Oklahoma I got a ticket in Groom or Gloom Texas which is near Amarillo and near the Oklahoma border. I calculated the cost of gasoline to go back to groom a Gloom Texas to fight the ticket by falling on the mercy of the court. And it was a lot whole cheaper to get the Judge to reduce the ticket than paying the whole ticket. Well after driving all the way back to Groom the Judge didn't show any MERCY...LOL.

True Story...... I did another road trip , San Francisco Bay Area to Tulsa and was driving around in Northeastern Oklahoma visiting relatives driving with a California tag. I had a patrol car I'm not sure what agency it was from County cop , city cop , Highway Patrol whatever " waiting for me " at the County Line. As soon as I pulled into his County he pulled directly behind me (and follow me all the way through the whole County). A number of time he would rapidly pull up on my bumper almost hitting me trying to get a reaction. I made sure that I did not go over the speed limit or break any traffic laws. I breath a sigh of relief when I left that County but when I thought back on it ( it crack me up) it was sort of funny as a hind thought.

True Story..... I'm tired of writing so this has to be the last story. Before I left Tulsa Oklahoma in about 1973 or 1974 I was going to make a short road trip from Tulsa to Kansas City . Tulsa Oklahoma is 250 miles both from Kansas City and Dallas\ Fort Worth Texas , meaning that if you leave early in the morning before day break you can make that turn around trip in one day. Well I decided to take Highway 169 up to Kansas City and left in the late afternoon or early evening and was just up into Kansas at nightfall and decided to turn back and cancel the trip. I wasn't good at making long-distance road trips back in 1973 so I decided to pull over just outside of Tulsa in a place called Collinsville OK I believe on Highway 169. Little did I know that one or two African-American men escaped from the state penitentiary in Oklahoma. Not too long after sunrise I heard some loud banging on my car window I had (a canary yellow Mustang) with the air scoop and the hood lock down pins on it. To my shock and Amaze there was a police officer standing there with a 357 Magnum aimed right at my head. I remember being cool and doing everything in slowwwwwww motionnnnnn. I remember slowly getting my registration and proof of insurance out of the glove compartment and giving him my license. After he proved me innocent and that I was a legitimate African American man he still had an attitude and made me wait to get my license and stuff back. Since the end result turn out to be good it was sort of funny after the fact when I was out of the situation.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:56 PM

California plates. Yup, been there before, I know what you mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma