Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 08:51 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,495,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
When the area between Riverside and the new housing east got full up of houses and freeways, this basically narrow tunnel of rock, it really trapped the smog. In winter you could see the blue sky. Come later spring it would get a grey caste to it and then in summer the winds blew it all up from the OC as well. It was one of the worse areas for people with breathing problems, with the perfect geology to trap it where it didn't blow. When I moved, it was getting worse, and lots of people were getting the heck out for their health.

When I got to Oklahoma on a visit to a friend, I was amazed at how much you could see, but within a day I could *breath* freely again. When I got home I went to see the doctor, who said I had the breathing of someone twenty years older. So while I had a few issues with OK, breathing was one of the best ones.

Los Angeles was a series of canyons and open valleys and the areas below had creeks and a river back when Mom grew up in North Hollywood, but if you stuff enough people and cars in and area, you get air you can see. I lived on allergey meds as a teen on in the 60's. There's places in OK which are ready and waiting to become smog pits should they every fill tightly with cars and population, and even with wind blasts, the contamination which comes home grown may just hover. In addition to the cost angle, that the quality of the air here, aside from allergy mostly in seasonal bouts, is not likely to follow is a good reaso to stay.

San Bernado with more flat surrounded by mountains and a lot of manufacturing also feeds the whole area and has long had a reputation of being a smog pit at least part of the year.

I read where with all the building and growing population in OKC, they are starting to see measurable rises in smog and I really hope they take the lesson of other places before they get stuck with it too.

Back when socal was becoming the great smog out, everyone noticed and some had to move, but it was just another 'cost' of living in a vibrant place, just as being able to drive to the beach was even if you couldn't stay all day. NObody sat back and looked ahead. But doctors do test you for the strength of your breathing, how efficent or blocked or other bad things it shows. Maybe if you have small kids somewhere else would be better, but smog is an equal opportunity thing where ever you go. If you can see the air, say no.

The good thing about OKC is that they built A Streetcar and are planning on light rail plus this is the kicker ( OKC does not have any mountains or valleys).....

I remembered in California in the SoCal region the place to live to get away from the smog was down by the ocean in Long Beach and just across the border in Orange County in Seal Beach California. The Sea Breeze did a lot as far as breaking up the smog , however I still remember driving all of the freeways and actually crying because of the smog tears rolling down my face.

Last edited by Howest2008; 07-31-2018 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 12:39 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,168,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The good thing about OKC is that they built A Streetcar and are planning on light rail plus this is the kicker ( OKC does not have any mountains or valleys).....

I remembered in California in the SoCal region the place to live to get away from the smog was down by the ocean in Long Beach and just across the border in Orange County in Seal Beach California. The Sea Breeze did a lot as far as breaking up the smog , however I still remember driving all of the freeways and actually crying because of the smog tears rolling down my face.

Yes, and appearances were also deceptive. We moved to Huntington Beach, right next to the power plant. The agent said people just get used to it. But we started hearing about health concerns about when I started having odd internal symptoms of something. Eventually I got bad enough and went to my doctor, and after some time, was diagnosed with one of those internal immune system conditions. The kind you get from contamination is not short term or episodic. Our choice to get close to the water really did cost me my health. And the smog was actually worse when you had a pocket of air you can't see and then it dissapeared.

Smog is not a hinderance, it can steal away your health too. Another reason to stay in my house in OK where if nothing else, the AIR is clean, at least in Cushing.

OKC wants money to finance their grander plans, and more business, traffic and stores will give it to them. But if they are already showing smog problems it could end up being a bad idea, but not until its bad idea long enough they are stuck with it.

As someone who can't go back and fix it, I wish cities would care more about the *health* of its citizens than its monitary success. Before the OC became its trend setting self we lived near it and it was nice, but comes the time when all you loved about it will be equalled by the alternate negative.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:12 AM

Here is a handy solution to your problem it's very common to have (transportation clubs) out here in California. What you do is develop a group of ladies that pool their money together and pay a member of the club to use their driving ability and skills and vehicles for the trip. My wife is wheelchair-bound and she has a friend that's also wheel chair-bound , and I'm taking them both down to San Jose California round about August 4th.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:57 PM

How far is Cushing from Stillwater anyway, made that trip to San Jose Saturday. 75 miles one way 150 miles round-trip.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:02 AM

23,978 posts, read 10,323,302 times
Give or take 25 miles one-way.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Give or take 25 miles one-way.
Wow that"s 50 miles round trip , i didn't know that Cushing was that far from Stillwater . I sure wish that they would build a hiking\bicycling trail between the two towns that also had (wilderness camping sites) . I could take my I.K.E.A. hiking tent on my back hike 20 miles camp 5 miles outside of Stillwater walk into Stillwater the next morning get myself a motel room for two days then hike back to Cushing.

I also sure wish that they would allow wilderness camping on Turkey Mountain in the city of Tulsa OK.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
When I was down in SoCal\Long Beach California in 1978 , Riverside CA was okay. However in the 1980s 90s and 2000 well that's a different story.

I moved in 2008, and in winter you couldn't see the air. It was too cold. We nearly had snow a few times. Then spring came and it was wonderful, as the air currants weren't trapping all the car fumes yet, but as it got close to summer, you could see the grey stuff. If you look north on one of the main streets you should be able to see the mountains past Riverside and San Bernadino, but in late spring to winter all you can see is a grey smoggy curtain.

Breathing problems are a very common problems. There's really nothing you can do to get out of it but MOVE. I remember days when I could have got a bus up to the mall and enjoyed their ac, but getting TO the bus and back would wipe out the relief. I've heard its worse that since I moved.

People who came to OK from states without major smog alerts a daily feature can't understand how important it becomes to not lose that again. I think that's one reason a lot of them have moved to Stillwater. Cost is more there, but its got more to do that see if the utility people remembered to dump your trash that week (got a problem with that since they look for driveways but I don't have a driveway).

Just curious, as Stillwater becomes much more popular, how much more expensive has it become?

Old 08-15-2018, 09:38 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,494,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Just curious, as Stillwater becomes much more popular, how much more expensive has it become?
The cost of the real estate by the strip has skyrocketed, due to the construction of mid rise apartment complexes just to the east of there. It's probably suppressing new commercial development.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Greyhound doesn't have a bus that Run From Cushing to Stillwater? I do know that Oklahoma State University has a commuter bus that runs from Tulsa to Stillwater if you would take some classes maybe they could fulfill some of your transportation needs.

I'm not sure I'm ready for school again. And classes cost. I don't think it would be practical for the budget either. If the commuter ran from the south to Stillwater instead of Tulsa, which is north of Tulsa, it might help. I'll just have to find other things to do I guess.

I've never used uber but I *would* try it if it could provide a way up there, but when I loaded it on my phone to check, it showed only ONE driver in Cushing who worked for them.....

It's a choice though, one that won't work out great somewhere and in this case might not work. If maybe I try to get to the convention (science fiction/fantasy) which is held in the late spring, I'll look harder. It was one of the smaller ones but awesome and as fannish as the ones in California.

And I have some new, young furfaces to get acquainted and love, in memory of the older ones who passed onto kitty paradise recently out of old age so the house won't ever seem as lonely as it did when the last of my older kids passed on.

As far as how the different areas of OK, I came knowing it was largely rural. My friend who talked me into moving here grew very ill and I didn't feel really all that welcome with her roomates. But I came knowing that transportation could become a problem and still do not regret the move. Coming from the fast pace and hurry up always of socal, its still a welcome retreat which fits what I wish now much more than my home state.

Here, once in a while dinner out or some kind of neat trip would be welcome, but not too often. Finding some people who are into science fiction fandom or especially filking would be wonderful. People who only sorta speak your 'language' and wouldn't know what any fannish joke was about wouldn't really help. There is ONE reall good convention in okc though and just maybe again....

I think that one thing which makes a move a sucess is when you go *knowing* that it might not be perfect, but you give it a chance and take people at their best behavior and then get used to you and see how well you come to actually mesh. And remember you don't have to be perfect and neither do they.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Will you do me this one favor , i'm chomping at the bit to find out what the round trip cost is of a uber trip from Cushing to Stillwater Oklahoma is....curious minds would
like to know(?)

That I'd like to know too. If it was to the yearly convention in okc I'd wonder about that too. It was one of the best and most welcome and laid back scifi cons I've ever attended, especially as someone who came knowing nobody and left with what I'm sure would be friends if they didn't live so much far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma