U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 06:12 PM

14,533 posts, read 17,045,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
When I was down in SoCal\Long Beach California in 1978 , Riverside CA was okay. However in the 1980s 90s and 2000 well that's a different story.

It sure was. We had lived in the San Fernando Valley all my life, and when you couldn't see the canyon for the smog, and I mean you could see nothing but smog, we pulled up stakes and moved to the beach, Huntington Beach in particular. Nobody talks about winter and late fall there. the fog rolls in like a nice thick blanket somewhere around early evening or earlier, and sits on you til morning. We lived next to the power plant and you couldn't see it. Mom hated having to drive in the morning as you could barely see the street.

Riverside started smogging up when the 'inland empire' behind it got so inductrial it was filling up the air with contaminants which took years to be stopped, and then the fog rolled in and trapped all that gunk in the air for those breathing it. I had to carry this inhailer there or pop lots of allergy pills. I was in college and Dad was ill and mom worse, and it was the first we heard about how the contamination from the power plant was causing the usual auto immune problems for those near. Didn't know it at the time but I was a perfect example.

By the time we moved it had taken on a harder, meaner feel, but it hadn't yet lost its just north of the farm feeling yet either. But the smog was getting so bad we had to get away from it. But Mom was gone, I was trying to take care of Dad and go to college, and he was rapidly forgetting everything in his life.

I read and hear that Riverside is still got the plesant middle class feel and a lot of good interest and quakity cultural things as well, and somewhere inside wish I could just go back to see. Post school I did a lot of moving, and now that I have settled, its rather nice to look at it and see all the good stuff, and yet how like so many things in life, going 'home' is not on the list without a time machine.

Now I've sort of hit the point where I need to settle, even if its not for a long time, since its afordable, the people are nice enough, and if I lived out there I still wouldn't see old friends or family as all of them have moved all over the place. Where I live in quiet, slow and if you don't try to make them someone else, the people are nice too. If someone had told me years ago that I'd settle in Oklahoma in a small town for my 'retirement' I'd have laughted at them, but I think I understood even then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 01:28 AM

13,353 posts, read 12,763,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Now I've sort of hit the point where I need to settle, even if its not for a long time, since its affordable, the people are nice enough, and if I lived out there I still wouldn't see old friends or family as all of them have moved all over the place. Where I live in quiet, slow and if you don't try to make them someone else, the people are nice too. If someone had told me years ago that I'd settle in Oklahoma in a small town for my 'retirement' I'd have laughed at them, but I think I understood even then.
Decades ago as a kid, Cushing used to mean a lot more to me, since my mother had many close relatives there. So we would drive there regularly to visit them. My brother also lived there for quite some time, starting out as a mechanic for the Ford dealership. Now retired, he lives in the country south of Pawnee. Way back then the most fascinating thing about Cushing to me as a kid was coming in to town on highway 33 as it became an overpass for railroad tracks. It was quite an impressive sight. There was nothing like it in Stillwater. These days the overpass is long gone. Highway 33 through there got expanded to 4 lanes. But here is a video of how it once looked like. My guess it's from the 1970s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dg4nFOL4zs

Old 10-24-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Decades ago as a kid, Cushing used to mean a lot more to me, since my mother had many close relatives there. So we would drive there regularly to visit them. My brother also lived there for quite some time, starting out as a mechanic for the Ford dealership. Now retired, he lives in the country south of Pawnee. Way back then the most fascinating thing about Cushing to me as a kid was coming in to town on highway 33 as it became an overpass for railroad tracks. It was quite an impressive sight. There was nothing like it in Stillwater. These days the overpass is long gone. Highway 33 through there got expanded to 4 lanes. But here is a video of how it once looked like. My guess it's from the 1970s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dg4nFOL4zs

Lots of people hear about North Hollywood CA and might have seen some quaint pictures of older houses like the ones from the 30's, set back far enough you could still put in a crop. Grandma's house was like that, and when she moved to the beach she bought a house a year older but without the yard. We always thought that yard and all was just perfectly made for kids and her quaint house with all her little glass treasures was a place out of time, but we got this feel for a different time too. Her house was about the same size as mine now, and had her and my grandfather and two children raised. Well, for my grandfather until he met someone in hollywood tech and left the family behind.

When I found this place, which was actually built about the same time, it was like this time trip and I think after that it would have taken a lot of persuation to change my mind. Several persons suggested I could get a new shiny apartment for less and without all those headaches. But even my grandmother would not live in an apartment. When she was living there along she had it suggested plenty of times. She refused.

I still get the gee you could find a nice apartment.... but I like the distance between me and neighbors and such too much.

When I was a kid, I guess some of the areas where houses now sit in the (San Fernando) Valley were growing crops, and the area our house was was like that.

It's interesting that out here, there are a few smaller, older places and most have not been bought and fixed up and have somone living there but its mostly younger people and not the older crowd looking for memories.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:15 PM

803 posts, read 2,997,458 times
Do they ever let people call into the local radio station* and ask a question, like that? Maybe someone locally would be able to provide info, or if you go to church somewhere they might have a church bus that runs (and would be willing to take people, especially if there is something interesting that several Cushing-ites might enjoy attending). Don't know how old you are but is there a Senior Center in Cushing, OK? Many of them do take trips, like the churches do. And if some students carpool to Stillwater maybe they would welcome a paying rider.

*It shows Cushing has a radio station: KUSH 1600

Last edited by OneDayAttaTime; 11-17-2018 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-07-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Will you do me this one favor , i'm chomping at the bit to find out what the round trip cost is of a uber trip from Cushing to Stillwater Oklahoma is....curious minds would
like to know(?)

I managed to set uber up on one of my phones, but there is only ONE person signed up in Cushing. I had to reset up the phone and lost the contact, but I'm not looking at it as a good chance. I'll bet its not cheap, with this one ride.

It worries me that the most likely big problem would be to get the pets to the vet. I would pay them for their time. The cats are just kittens now, two of them, and I want to make sure they get all their shots. I've found some way to get what I need by ordering it. Now if someone would find a use for all the cardboard....

I'd like to know what they want too. I'd even like to see the rebuilt part of Cushing since the quake. The origional stores and offices on our end were still part rubble the last time I was there.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 AM

12,218 posts, read 16,948,271 times
Contact animal shelter, local animal associations, vets, friends, neighbors, ... All the usual suspects.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:15 PM

6,036 posts, read 1,454,483 times
Quote:
I managed to set uber up on one of my phones, but there is only ONE person signed up in Cushing. I had to reset up the phone and lost the contact, but I'm not looking at it as a good chance. I'll bet its not cheap, with this one ride.

It worries me that the most likely big problem would be to get the pets to the vet. I would pay them for their time. The cats are just kittens now, two of them, and I want to make sure they get all their shots. I've found some way to get what I need by ordering it. Now if someone would find a use for all the cardboard....

I'd like to know what they want too. I'd even like to see the rebuilt part of Cushing since the quake. The origional stores and offices on our end were still part rubble the last time I was there.
There are Vets in Cushing I believe? I looked it up and found three Veterinarians.

Cushing is not a great place without a car if you are trying to get some place outside of Cushing. There is the senior citizen bus and I have seen a taxi in town from time to time. There has to be neighbors that go into Stillwater from time to time in your neighborhood. I helped by Veteran neighbor get to the VA in Stillwater a couple times. I go to Stillwater at least once a week.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There are Vets in Cushing I believe? I looked it up and found three Veterinarians.

Cushing is not a great place without a car if you are trying to get some place outside of Cushing. There is the senior citizen bus and I have seen a taxi in town from time to time. There has to be neighbors that go into Stillwater from time to time in your neighborhood. I helped by Veteran neighbor get to the VA in Stillwater a couple times. I go to Stillwater at least once a week.

I've got a couple of favored vets here, and one which is off the list. (Saying too bad, she's just old. Don't waste your money.... didn't win him anything.

When I moved here it was where some friends had moved, but they ended up moving to Stillwater. I just wish my eyes would actually focus together and I could safely drive. But I see distance, but can't tell how much. Not good for driving.

I almost wish I could afford to sell here and move to Stillwater, but doubt it would be workable. It sounds like it would be a good place to use up an afternoon.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 AM

12,218 posts, read 16,948,271 times
Quote:
I've got a couple of favored vets here, and one which is off the list. (Saying too bad, she's just old. Don't waste your money.... didn't win him anything.

When I moved here it was where some friends had moved, but they ended up moving to Stillwater. I just wish my eyes would actually focus together and I could safely drive. But I see distance, but can't tell how much. Not good for driving.

I almost wish I could afford to sell here and move to Stillwater, but doubt it would be workable. It sounds like it would be a good place to use up an afternoon.
Then call your friends and ask them to pick you up.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:41 AM

6,036 posts, read 1,454,483 times
Quote:

Stillwater is a lot more expensive for the same sized home, unless you go outside of town which would put you in the same situation. When I was looking at housing to buy that was a big factor in choosing Cushing. I like Stillwater it is big enough to have almost everything a big city would have. It does seem to have very slow traffic most of the time on Perkins Road which is where most of the businesses are located which I have learned to avoid as much as possible. Its the odd thing that Oklahoma roads often do not have a left turn lane even when they really need them. And residential streets are unusually narrow.

Try putting a rideshare ad on Craigslist in Stillwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or