U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 03:38 PM

13,353 posts, read 12,763,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You have just learned the number one hidden truth to the " El Cheapo Culture ". Low price " Real Estate " is real. cheap for a reason.

I don't see you evér getting any type of transportation out of Cushing to Oklahoma larger cities and towns.However
there are Science Friction Conventions in OKC and Tulsa see the listing below.

A) SoonerCon 28 June 7rh 8th Doors 1:00PM Location Embassy Suites Hilton Norman OK Tickets $30.00 $50.00 $100.00.

B)SoonerCon OKC June 7-9th Loctation 9118 Western Ave Suite B OKC Time 1:00PM

C)SoonerCon Midwest City. June 7-10th 2019 Location. Reed Conferences Center. 5800 Will Roger Road Doors 2:00PM.

D)You missed tulsa ok wizard world convention tulsa convention center sep 7-9 2018.
It's not quite sci-fi, but there is an annual comic convention held in Stillwater that has been getting bigger.

http://library.stillwater.org/lexico...tastic_fun.php

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 01-16-2019 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 03:01 PM

14,533 posts, read 17,045,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You have just learned the number one hidden truth to the " El Cheapo Culture ". Low price " Real Estate " is real. cheap for a reason.

I don't see you evér getting any type of transportation out of Cushing to Oklahoma larger cities and towns.However
there are Science Friction Conventions in OKC and Tulsa see the listing below.

A) SoonerCon 28 June 7rh 8th Doors 1:00PM Location Embassy Suites Hilton Norman OK Tickets $30.00 $50.00 $100.00.

B)SoonerCon OKC June 7-9th Loctation 9118 Western Ave Suite B OKC Time 1:00PM

C)SoonerCon Midwest City. June 7-10th 2019 Location. Reed Conferences Center. 5800 Will Roger Road Doors 2:00PM.

D)You missed tulsa ok wizard world convention tulsa convention center sep 7-9 2018.

I've been to that con, and it was really cool. It reminded me of the smaller ones out in
California and earlier Loscons before they got so big. Or even Comicon back when it was in just one hotel in San Diego. Last one we went to I got to run the lounge and loved it but the politics had gotten a lot more noted. Sooner Con reminded me of both the early, before huge popularity Comicons, and Loscon to this day.

The really neat thing was at the first night, I was sitting and munching a sandwitch with a couple of people on the committe. They were setting up the fan lounge and I helped. We talked about some good shared ideas that could make it more than a spot for a free soda. I worked a few more things, being one of the make sure they're ready people with the mascrade, though I'd not done that yet. It was so much fun, getting to help where could really feel like I met my kinda sort. My friend here was ill next year, and the household split up, but I'd be there every year if I could.

The cool thing is I have met people from all over at cons, and while their accent may be a bit different and their other outside world maybe not with the same answer as yours, when its evening and the staff and volunters go and camp out in the main suite and party with good food often added. I'm not terribly social but at cons I just feel *different* and at home with all the other oddballs.

I might see if I could find a way to the next Sooner Con and hopefully find someone to watch the home and which dog to leave home.... hmmmmm.

If it sounds fun, maybe try visiting a day, Saturday the best if only one, and see if maybe it is something you'd like to go to and let those conventional things get left home for the weekend.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:02 PM

9,264 posts, read 11,925,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've been to that con, and it was really cool. It reminded me of the smaller ones out in
California and earlier Loscons before they got so big. Or even Comicon back when it was in just one hotel in San Diego. Last one we went to I got to run the lounge and loved it but the politics had gotten a lot more noted. Sooner Con reminded me of both the early, before huge popularity Comicons, and Loscon to this day.

The really neat thing was at the first night, I was sitting and munching a sandwitch with a couple of people on the committe. They were setting up the fan lounge and I helped. We talked about some good shared ideas that could make it more than a spot for a free soda. I worked a few more things, being one of the make sure they're ready people with the mascrade, though I'd not done that yet. It was so much fun, getting to help where could really feel like I met my kinda sort. My friend here was ill next year, and the household split up, but I'd be there every year if I could.

The cool thing is I have met people from all over at cons, and while their accent may be a bit different and their other outside world maybe not with the same answer as yours, when its evening and the staff and volunters go and camp out in the main suite and party with good food often added. I'm not terribly social but at cons I just feel *different* and at home with all the other oddballs.

I might see if I could find a way to the next Sooner Con and hopefully find someone to watch the home and which dog to leave home.... hmmmmm.

If it sounds fun, maybe try visiting a day, Saturday the best if only one, and see if maybe it is something you'd like to go to and let those conventional things get left home for the weekend.

Well that must to have been sort of expensive considering the cost of transportation from Cushing to Oklahoma City , secondly the hotel bill once you got there , thirdly food?

I was in Oklahoma in September and October 2018 for a family vacation. I left Oakland on a red eye September 20th had a seven or eight hour layover in Las Vegas then flew to the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. My plans were to take public transportation from the Dallas Airport to my youth hostel in Dallas then take public transportation from the youth hostel To Fort Worth (Amtrak Station) and take (Amtrak down from Fort Worth) to (Oklahoma City). Then have some relatives or friend drive me to Tulsa Oklahoma.

A monkey wrench was thrown into my plans , because it was raining cats and dogs in Fort Worth and Dallas ,and also in Oklahoma. Both of Dallas youth hostels were booked solid and I didn't have a rain poncho or umbrella to boot. I"m a adventurous tourist (traveler) that always get rock bottom price travel options on my trips , but the downside to( El Cheapo Travel) is that it makes you look like (A Mark And Crime Victim) just waiting to happen. I was going to buy a airline ticket from Dallas to Tulsa but my wife saved my bacon because , she had a friend that work for the airline , and I got a non-revenue ticket free to Tulsa OK. If I was aware of this thread in September 2018 I would have hung out with you in stillwater ok and brought you a steak dinner.

P.S. if you are meeting somebody from the internet like City-Data Forum or Facebook or Twitter always take them to the local cushing ok police department for a background check.That includes me howest2008.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:43 PM

12,218 posts, read 16,948,271 times
Honest - I met some folks on CD who turned into real good friends.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:54 AM

14,533 posts, read 17,045,490 times
[quote=Howest2008;54223070]Well that must to have been sort of expensive considering the cost of transportation from Cushing to Oklahoma City , secondly the hotel bill once you got there , thirdly food?

I was in Oklahoma in September and October 2018 for a family vacation. I left Oakland on a red eye September 20th had a seven or eight hour layover in Las Vegas then flew to the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. My plans were to take public transportation from the Dallas Airport to my youth hostel in Dallas then take public transportation from the youth hostel To Fort Worth (Amtrak Station) and take (Amtrak down from Fort Worth) to (Oklahoma City). Then have some relatives or friend drive me to Tulsa Oklahoma.

A monkey wrench was thrown into my plans , because it was raining cats and dogs in Fort Worth and Dallas ,and also in Oklahoma. Both of Dallas youth hostels were booked solid and I didn't have a rain poncho or umbrella to boot. I"m a adventurous tourist (traveler) that always get rock bottom price travel options on my trips , but the downside to( El Cheapo Travel) is that it makes you look like (A Mark And Crime Victim) just waiting to happen. I was going to buy a airline ticket from Dallas to Tulsa but my wife saved my bacon because , she had a friend that work for the airline , and I got a non-revenue ticket free to Tulsa OK. If I was aware of this thread in September 2018 I would have hung out with you in stillwater ok and brought you a steak dinner.

P.S. if you are meeting somebody from the internet like City-Data Forum or Facebook or Twitter always take them to the local cushing ok police department for a background check.That includes me howest2008

This was a few years ago, when I was planning a move. I didn't know to/where yet but my friend lived in Cushing. We loaded up the van with space for 'stuff'' needed for the trip, and I had my stuff from the train. She had struff for my department, Regrestration, which had to go since we could match regrestratiopons paid with backup. I was leaving back to CA after the con was over so it all came. And I had redesigned regrestration from the last trip, using my compter. I also had the paper lists for the Mascrade costume as we added more, st) which I'd never done, but it was fun. I also had lots of my own costuming along stuffed in boxes. Since I ended up finding the house, and I'd be back in a few weeks to a month, heavy stuff got stored at their house.

It took the month and I stayed with my friends while the fixit guys were finishing up on the house. and was SO cool for a while, until health of my friend got very bad. But I still think the move was a very good idea, and without it I wonder what I'd done if I'd not been willing to get that *Take a Chance* card and leaped.

As for cost, I didn't take much in terms of a vacation and usually went to local (large attendance) science fiction conventions. It was sharing the cost of a room with some three people (and who SLEEPS during one????) and one could eat pretty well by checking all the room parties. And the burger place right aroung the block got lots of orders. They did delivery. Its just this whole different world where most non fans miss the jokes and don't get why one would take all that stuff. And I HAVE won an award for my hall costume, a medieval/storekeeper outfit WITH some star trek pins and a few clearly vulcan ones. Oh, a short sword and a phaser.....

We were going that way anyway, so it didn't add much more than a few memories from the dealers.

As for moving to Cushing, I wanted my own house... got it CHEAP. Less than a decent apt if you split the cost per month. Cost of living rules all. No morgage does too. I know about the bottom layer but don't choose to know them personally.

Its been now going past ten years, so it must not have been too bad a choice. And likely will stay. Social security is just enough to live okay here. Somewhere like California your lucky if there's a rentshared apartment on state aide. for that. Looking at the whole of it sometimes you don't get what you'd wish but with some flexability you may find there are more than one ways to do most anything.

Old Today, 01:17 AM

9,264 posts, read 11,925,835 times
Default Time is in short supply tonight

CRASH LANDED 2019

Doubletree Warren Place Tulsa OK

February 15
..16 & 17 2019
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or