U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2018, 04:51 PM
 
18 posts, read 6,183 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
2006, 2011, and 2012 were some of the hottest summers in recent years.
Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,329 posts, read 7,376,041 times
Reputation: 2941
This summer is shaping out to be super cold by Oklahoma standards. It's gonna be in the 80's most of next week!

That's pretty much unheard of over several days during the months of July and especially August in the South-Central region of Oklahoma, Texas, and parts of Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 07:45 AM
 
592 posts, read 720,164 times
Reputation: 710
We've had a few really nice summers in a row now, with this being the nicest. mostly 90's with periodic rain all summer.
Green grass all summer for the last 3 years. It is unusual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 10:52 AM
 
18 posts, read 6,183 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
We've had a few really nice summers in a row now, with this being the nicest. mostly 90's with periodic rain all summer.
Green grass all summer for the last 3 years. It is unusual
Green grass all summer... it turns brown because of the heat or lack of rain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 11:03 AM
 
592 posts, read 720,164 times
Reputation: 710
I'd say mainly lack of rain, it goes dormant and lives in its root system. But when the soil is wet, can take up nitrogen and minerals again so it come back green real fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
5,587 posts, read 5,513,487 times
Reputation: 4816
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanning View Post
Green grass all summer... it turns brown because of the heat or lack of rain?
As teak says it is probably both. Keep in mind that during the brutal summers cities will put out water bans. If there isn't a water ban it will stay green in really high heat. It's just that your water bill will be sky high.


And as B&C says, it's been a pretty mild summer. We have only had three days over 100 degrees. They were in mid to late July and they were right in a row. One was 104, the next 107 and the last was 111. Then it cooled off.

IMO, June is a bit weird cause it CAN get sticky at about 85 degrees. Usually in July and August/early September it is drier and anything below 90 isn't too bad. Anything under 95 is tolerable. 100 isn't to bad if it's really dry but generally the heat index here runs 3-4 degrees higher than the ambient temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 08:16 PM
 
18 posts, read 6,183 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
As teak says it is probably both. Keep in mind that during the brutal summers cities will put out water bans. If there isn't a water ban it will stay green in really high heat. It's just that your water bill will be sky high.


And as B&C says, it's been a pretty mild summer. We have only had three days over 100 degrees. They were in mid to late July and they were right in a row. One was 104, the next 107 and the last was 111. Then it cooled off.

IMO, June is a bit weird cause it CAN get sticky at about 85 degrees. Usually in July and August/early September it is drier and anything below 90 isn't too bad. Anything under 95 is tolerable. 100 isn't to bad if it's really dry but generally the heat index here runs 3-4 degrees higher than the ambient temperature.
We're planning to be rural so I don't plan on watering any lawns. I do want to put in a greenhouse/shade cover for growing some food. I'll do a combination of rain catchment and well water to water the garden.

For gardening, I plan to use something called the mittleider method, aquaponics, and back to eden assuming I can get mulched trees in quantity. All three of those use something like 90% less water. But since we have a lot of people, I may end up having to dig a second well or maybe a deeper well. I haven't researched that yet.

I may end up having to move farther east closer to Tulsa to get more rainfall assuming that's enough to matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2018, 09:44 PM
 
592 posts, read 720,164 times
Reputation: 710
It does matter, get as far east as you can, for rainfall. For example, Coweta OK averages a decent 43 inches of rain per year. OKC gets 36.5 inches.

If you are close to Tulsa, go to the green waste facility in NE Tulsa. It is a giant pile of shredded and partially composted wood mulch which is free to you, just back up a truck or trailer they will lay a big scoop of it on you. A pretty nice resource if you need it. You might have to live in Tulsa county, I can't remember.

Last edited by teakboat; 08-08-2018 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 03:00 PM
 
18 posts, read 6,183 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
It does matter, get as far east as you can, for rainfall. For example, Coweta OK averages a decent 43 inches of rain per year. OKC gets 36.5 inches.

If you are close to Tulsa, go to the green waste facility in NE Tulsa. It is a giant pile of shredded and partially composted wood mulch which is free to you, just back up a truck or trailer they will lay a big scoop of it on you. A pretty nice resource if you need it. You might have to live in Tulsa county, I can't remember.
That's awesome. Thanks for the tip. Is there something like this around OKC?

Here in Uruguay, it's nearly impossible to get that kind of thing because you're allowed to dump it in the land fill free of charge. So all the tree services just do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2018, 03:36 AM
 
4,997 posts, read 13,542,664 times
Reputation: 2400
banning,

why did you pick Oklahoma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top