Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 01:13 PM

18 posts, read 21,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
banning,

why did you pick Oklahoma?
weather
jobs
politics
guns
vaccines laws
land prices
the ability to do what you want with your land

... and probably a few others I can't remember, and not necessarily in that order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 01:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Politics! Politics, especially at the state level, are sorely dysfunctional in Oklahoma and people are sick and tired of it as reflected by the fact that the two Republicans running for governor in the run off are not associated with running state government. Running state government badly has meant raising gas tax by three cents to raise teacher pay, rather than fixing the road system. Running state government badly has also meant swiping $230,000,000 from the county road and bridge fund to plug holes in the budget. So now lots of rural people are complaining how bad their roads are.

I guess for some people the political elections on into November will make for great political theater. If Trump keeps shooting himself in the foot, it will be interesting to see how many Oklahoma Republicans will still want to make it known they support Trump, in order to get votes.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-14-2018 at 02:08 PM..

Old 08-14-2018, 02:21 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
The weather is definitely not a plus. Politics here are pretty awful, and I'm saying that as a conservative. Surely there are other states that are better, even Texas.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Politics! Politics, especially at the state level, are sorely dysfunctional in Oklahoma and people are sick and tired of it as reflected by the fact that the two Republicans running for governor in the run off are not associated with running state government. Running state government badly has meant raising gas tax by three cents to raise teacher pay, rather than fixing the road system. Running state government badly has also meant swiping $230,000,000 from the county road and bridge fund to plug holes in the budget. So now lots of rural people are complaining how bad their roads are.

I guess for some people the political elections on into November will make for great political theater. If Trump keeps shooting himself in the foot, it will be interesting to see how many Oklahoma Republicans will still want to make it known they support Trump, in order to get votes.
When I say politics, I'm not so much looking for a state with good conservative politicians, although would be great. What I'm really talking about is the people in general. We're far more likely to fit in with rural people in the OKC area than city people in New York, Chicago, or San Francisco.

I think OK will eventually work out its issues. And after living in Uruguay for seven years, I can tell you that a dysfunctional government is far better than an efficient one that's forcing leftists ideas and a police state on everyone.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
The weather is definitely not a plus. Politics here are pretty awful, and I'm saying that as a conservative. Surely there are other states that are better, even Texas.
Texas was probably the first choice. But it's way too hot. And the property values are too high if you're a commutable distance from software development job. OK is still probably too hot for us. But after 12 years in Chicago, I'm liking the sound of the winters there. Tornadoes are a problem obviously. But it will be a compromise no matter where we go. And OK seems like a good compromise. I'd rather deal with having to be prepared for tornadoes than to have a govco official show up at your house with a massive fine because you dared to collect the king's rainwater off your own roof into a barrel for example.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:43 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
You are coming a ways from home schooling, green house to soft ware development.
County and city have info about wells.
A lot of info out there about "work from home" in your field. I am not IT = last two days - three outages,

Old 08-14-2018, 04:10 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanning View Post
Texas was probably the first choice. But it's way too hot. And the property values are too high if you're a commutable distance from software development job. OK is still probably too hot for us. But after 12 years in Chicago, I'm liking the sound of the winters there. Tornadoes are a problem obviously. But it will be a compromise no matter where we go. And OK seems like a good compromise. I'd rather deal with having to be prepared for tornadoes than to have a govco official show up at your house with a massive fine because you dared to collect the king's rainwater off your own roof into a barrel for example.
It's 84 degrees right now in OKC. Been a temperate summer this year.

Tornadoes that go to ground and do damage aren't really THAT common but they do occur. And there are occasionally some deadly ones but they hit in a lot of other states as well.

I can't think of any this year in Oklahoma that amounted to anything. Usually there are one or two that tear up a neighborhood or a farm each year.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You are coming a ways from home schooling, green house to soft ware development.
County and city have info about wells.
A lot of info out there about "work from home" in your field. I am not IT = last two days - three outages,
That's what I do now... work from home. And I plan to continue that up there. But I want to be able to drive in to OKC in a recession if I can't get remote work. My son and son in law will be living on the property with us though. And they need to do their time in an office every day before they can go remote.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:47 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanning View Post
That's what I do now... work from home. And I plan to continue that up there. But I want to be able to drive in to OKC in a recession if I can't get remote work. My son and son in law will be living on the property with us though. And they need to do their time in an office every day before they can go remote.
The information you are giving is shifting.

You will have to set priorities. Commutable distance to OKC and cheap land. Diesel generator for green houses and a what sounds like a family compound. Well water for green houses and several families.

Fly over the outlying areas of OKC and you will see what I am talking about.

Yes, it is generally not as hot as on the other side of the Arbuckle mountains and this year is almost too cool. At least for my hot peppers! Gun laws are not as unrestricted as you seem to think and building codes exist and are being enforced. Groceries are not cheap. Medical care depends on your insurance. Everything you are looking for is on the other side of town.

It works for us and we have been all over the US, Europe and Sand Box.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:00 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,319 times
I don't know why you are not looking further east. Arkansas river bottom crop land south or east of Coweta, 43 inches annual rain, pretty tall trees, and still within commuting distance of Tulsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma