Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:42 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Every toll road in Europe accepts credit cards Many European transit options do not accept cash at all, or they have a very limited number of places where you can use cash.
So what about Europe! What kind of response is this? He is in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
Picked up a car to drive back from Chicago to Arizona. So just going through Oklahoma and don’t know what to do with this odd freeway / toll road garbage?

Outrageous that there’s no credit card option on a public freeway?
In all my travels, I have never seen a credit card option. Common sense is to carry a few dollars with you when you travel.

You goofed--own it. There is nothing "garbage" about your situation.

LEAST it gives you a cash option. Some freeways--like in Colorado do not even give you that--if you don't have that electronic tag you are doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 01:08 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
So what about Europe! What kind of response is this? He is in the USA.

In all my travels, I have never seen a credit card option. Common sense is to carry a few dollars with you when you travel.

You goofed--own it. There is nothing "garbage" about your situation.

LEAST it gives you a cash option. Some freeways--like in Colorado do not even give you that--if you don't have that electronic tag you are doomed.
A lot of people don't carry cash anymore. Or they might not have enough on them. I like getting money from out of state drivers but cash on toll roads is a thing of the past. The DMV takes a picture of the license plate. Even if it's a rental car, they will still find them. But most cars have a transponder that electrically records the transaction. It either comes off your cc automatically or they will send you a bill.

We did away with the stupid cash tolls that slow everybody down. (I think it was after the governor got stuck in a massive traffic jam, LOL)

Old 10-01-2018, 02:53 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A lot of people don't carry cash anymore. Or they might not have enough on them. I like getting money from out of state drivers but cash on toll roads is a thing of the past. The DMV takes a picture of the license plate. Even if it's a rental car, they will still find them. But most cars have a transponder that electrically records the transaction. It either comes off your cc automatically or they will send you a bill.

We did away with the stupid cash tolls that slow everybody down. (I think it was after the governor got stuck in a massive traffic jam, LOL)
Apparently Op is planning to drive through Oklahoma not New England and folks here do not consider carrying cash a thing of the past nor does his cheap acquisition (see other posts) have an OK toll tag. He can either use toll roads and pay for useage or be prepared to pay for it when he renews his drivers license.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Apparently Op is planning to drive through Oklahoma not New England and folks here do not consider carrying cash a thing of the past nor does his cheap acquisition (see other posts) have an OK toll tag. He can either use toll roads and pay for useage or be prepared to pay for it when he renews his drivers license.
I know. We used to have that pay as you go system too. A neighboring state also used to have it until they had a massive pile up at a toll booth that resulted in some deaths when a truck got involved.

All I'm trying to say is that there are friendlier ways to deal with charging people money to use the roads.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:30 AM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:

That's going to be everywhere in a few short years. Yes, the IT folks who build these systems realize there is a percentage of the population known as "the unbanked", people without checking accounts or credit cards, from whom it will be difficult to collect the tolls, but even if you don't have the transponder (or the proper one for the area you are in), they will try to collect the toll using your plate number. Once they have the technology down and the gantries built, the toll booths will be gone.

It will happen in some areas faster than others.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:11 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,931 times
A cashless society is what the big banks, and the deep state, want. It should continue to be resisted by wise citizens.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I know. We used to have that pay as you go system too. A neighboring state also used to have it until they had a massive pile up at a toll booth that resulted in some deaths when a truck got involved.

All I'm trying to say is that there are friendlier ways to deal with charging people money to use the roads.
There are DoT roads all over OK. He wants to use the turnpikes and has a problem with a couple of dollars toll and the gall to ask if he will ever have to man up for owing it as he has temp tags on his car. He is talking about OK where things in general are size wise a bit bigger than in NE. I have in three years not seen a line of over one vehicle on the turnpike around OKC. He can go on line and get a pass which covers several states.
How does NE deal with toll evaders? I see it in MD/VA/FL as misdemeanors on back ground checks.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's going to be everywhere in a few short years. Yes, the IT folks who build these systems realize there is a percentage of the population known as "the unbanked", people without checking accounts or credit cards, from whom it will be difficult to collect the tolls, but even if you don't have the transponder (or the proper one for the area you are in), they will try to collect the toll using your plate number. Once they have the technology down and the gantries built, the toll booths will be gone.

It will happen in some areas faster than others.
OP does not plan to wait until his car is a classic to drive it through Ok.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:36 PM

In MA it's the Mass Turnpike and it's only about 300? miles long. It's very heavily traveled, so maybe it is different from what you have. The traffic can be heavy in places and at certain times of the year.

From experience, I did get stuck on it one time with no cash. Went to the ATM at the rest stop and my card wouldn't work. I think I dug around in the car and found enough change to get to the next exit and got off and took the very sloooooow road home. That catastrophe can't happen now. Got a transponder on the windshield and I just zing right on through.

I don't know what they do to people who won't pay but I think they contact the driver's state and their license can be suspended until they pay their toll. I detest the DMV but this is one thing they got right. For us, anyway.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:24 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
OP does not plan to wait until his car is a classic to drive it through Ok.
Wasn't worrying about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: