U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM

2,596 posts, read 1,210,144 times

Advertisements

Is social security your only source of income? I am asking because my mother is living in an independent living facility here in Duncan, Oklahoma, and it is for lower income senior citizens.

She has been widowed for almost seven years and has only her social security and her required minimum distribution she must take from her traditional IRA. She qualified for a very nice two bedroom apartment in the facility. All bills are paid, but she also pays for a garage space there for her car. The building is fairly new and she really likes living there. The management is good and there are some social events for the residents. (Even though my mom is a loner, she has attended a couple of the socials.)

I like her living there. She has access in her apartment to emergency help if needed. The place is clean and quiet and the people I have come into contact with there are friendly. If my husband and I could quality, we would try to get in there! I know that Duncan is probably not a place where you would want to live, but I presume there are other towns and cities in Oklahoma that have similar places for seniors. I would google the towns or cities that you are interested in moving to and look for facilities that meet your needs.

Good luck to you. I hope you find what you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 165 times
I have SS and stock dividends and interest and then I am just trying spending down my savings. I want to die broke, LOL
I own my own house without a mortgage here in North Texas so I am looking to buy, not rent. I am just tired of $6,200 a year property taxes that goes up 8% a year, it's ridiculous! We have a bunch of 55+ communities in DFW. I wish a builder would go outside the DFW metroplex, which is Collin, Dallas, Denton, Rockwall and Tarrant counties. I know they do that so seniors will be close to the hospital system but there are nice towns 1 hr outside the DFW metro area. Oklahoma has a nice 55+ in Tulsa but it's pricey.

Thanks for your response. I am always looking around the internet for alternatives to living in North Texas.

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

2,596 posts, read 1,210,144 times
I understand where you're coming from.

My husband and I have been retired for ten years coming this May. Our house has been mortgage free for almost twenty years and we've lived in it for twenty-five years. We completely remodeled and updated it inside and outside in 2013-2014. It is in perfect selling condition right now, but we can't move and leave my mom here (last of our four parents) and there is no way she could live with us. It just wouldn't work.

Wow! $6200 property taxes! We have a 2400 square foot house in the nicest housing addition in town and our property taxes last year were $1606, and I was complaining that they were a hundred dollars more than in 2017.

My husband and I are both 65--almost 66 years old. We are talking about downsizing our possessions even more than we did during the remodeling, but we are probably not going to buy another smaller house when we do leave this town. We are tired of yard work and being responsible for any repairs and stuff like that. We will probably sell this house one day, move to an assisted living place or an apartment, and let others be responsible for yard work and repairs. We are both in excellent health. However, we know things can change in an instant, but we do talk about the future and what we will need to do.

Oh! Also...a relative of ours lives in an extremely nice housing addition in Norman. Her house has been mortgage free since 2016. Her property taxes were $2500 for 2018. Her house is a bit smaller square footage wise than ours, but still.....lots less tax than $6200. When we were selling my mom's house in August of last year, the taxes were only $476 for a 1365 square foot house on about one acre of land. It was an older house that my parents built back in the 1960s. Just threw that in there to give you an idea of taxes here in Oklahoma.

Last edited by educator1953; Yesterday at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Added another tax example.

Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM

12,509 posts, read 17,132,547 times
Several communities of smaller houses targeted for senior have been going up in Yukon, Mustang and parts of OKC.

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

5 posts, read 165 times
Are you by any chance talking about The Springs at Skyline Trails in Yukon? It is listing on 55places dot com although it doesn't have age resrictions. Beautiful homes by Landmark. I think I'll call them this weekend.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

12,509 posts, read 17,132,547 times
I would not know. Saw several while being out and about but it is nothing I am interested in. There is one in Mustang on 152 and also an older one. Pick a realtor and let him/her do the leg work. I told the one we went with that I will sign a contract when I am signing the offer and it worked just fine.

Old Today, 10:09 AM

5,369 posts, read 7,549,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoebeMama View Post
Hello! I am new to this board. I too am considering a move to Oklahoma from Texas, I am currently north of Dallas in Denton County and the property taxes are killing me! I am retired so income taxes woulld be minimal and I understand Oklahoma doesn't tax social security benefits. I have been searching for a 55+ community in Oklahoma but they are few and far between. I am a young retiree, will be 64 in a few weeks but anyone know where retired people live? Thanks!

I'm not sure if you're wanting the resort style retirement community or not...something by the lake, etc.

If not, the Baptist Retirement Center is pretty competitive, I believe.

https://www.baptistvillage.org/locations/oklahoma-city/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or