Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:20 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lham3214 View Post
good thanks guys, I want a least to feel like their are 4 seasons, its just hot hot hot here...I look fforward to getting there in the next two weeks, and they said on base housing is ava. if we wanted it... getting excited..
I loved the three years I served at Sill, I hated to leave. But, I wasn't stupid enough to turn down three more years in Hawaii at Scholfield Barracks . If you get out away from the base, you'll find the Okie folks are wonderful people. Have Fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 03:24 PM

102 posts, read 287,854 times
I thought the waiting list for post housing is at least 12 months. You are very lucky then. Goodluck with your move. We are still trying to sell our house here in FT. Hood and in turn still trying to find one in Ft. Sill. Memorial day weekend was our third house hunting trip and we still didn't find something that suits everyone in the family. Urg! The house that we so dearly love (on the lake with mountain view) was under contract by the time we got there. Oh well, such is life. Better luck next time.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:45 PM

23 posts, read 76,285 times
YEah i heard the waiting list is long but we called ahead and they already have a house waiting, dont know if it was just luck or housing being extremely nice, either way im happy, you should call if thats something you would like, they have been very nice~hoping to buy also, but will give us time to figure out if we like it or what town we like best.. your lucky that you have gotten to visit, I dont know what we are getting ourselves into...Im nervous, I just really want a nice QUIET safe town and school... when do you get there for good???

Old 05-31-2008, 08:34 PM

My husband's report date is 1st August but he is allowed to report early. The problem with post housing is that the school zone is not the ideal one. We are looking at either Cache SD or MacArthur SD. Our realtor has been heaven sent-very patient, not pushy at all and great at keeping us posted with new listings. I'm hoping that our house here will be sold by end of June then we can make our 4th house hunting trip and make and offer by then. Good thing we're only 5 hours away. It's a small post, we might see each other. Good luck to you and family.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:07 AM

Ive heard bad things also about the Lawton school district, luckily my kids are young and will attend the elementary school on base. Where was the house located that had a lakeview? which lake? My husband would love to have a house like that...we also are reporting early and our realtor hasnt been so great!~But ive seen some great houses in Fletcher, now I just have to see which town i like best... How bad does Lawton look, as scary as the postings??

Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 AM

There are two developments that have lakes and view of the mountains. Oak Meadows and Shelter Lake (which is on the West side but the kids would go to Cache School District.) If you want a better realtor, e-mail me and I will give you her name and phone number. We are very very satisfied with her. Been to Ft. Sill 3x already and all the time we were there, I felt safe and the area overalll looked neat and safe to me. Of course by the time we were done running around looking at houses, we were tired so we went to our hotel (Spring Hill Suites) before it got dark. There were two restaurant across from the hotel and it was convenient. Ft. Sill actually has more character with the view of the mountains compared to Ft. Hood. Good luck to you and family.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:09 PM

Thanks I might just get that from you. I definitely want a good school district, I cant wait to get there next week and get a feel for the area, and settle down in a house. Good Luck to you and your family also, let me know if there is anything i can do once I get there to help out...Lisa

Last edited by lham3214; 06-02-2008 at 05:41 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks so much Lisa. I am itching to get moving. Unfortunately, our house is not sold yet. There's a lot of competition here in the Ft. Hood area and the houses are cheaper than Ft. Sill. My house here would be about $40,000 more in Sill area. Sad. If I get to choose the school for my kids, I would live on post. But I heard they won't allow you to do that unlike here in Ft. Hood. They will let you as long as you provide your own transportation.

I heard from fellow officers that MacArthur SD is the best in Lawton area. I have a 7th grader this fall. My youngest one will be 3rd grade. I heard that Cache School District is good. Shelter Lake is on the edge of West Lawton, a gated community and very close to the business district (groceries, shopping for basic needs, restaurants, etc. and of course Cameron University for piano/string lessons.) The kids will go to Cache School District. We had scouted the school property and it looked neat and well organized. I liked the way the grade schools were set up. The school is about 5 miles away from Shelter Lake.

Anyway, the reason I learned why waiting list post housing is long is due to the remodeling of COLONELS' quarters. A friend of ours from San Antonio bought their house already in the MacARthur School District. Stay on the East Side of Lawton. This is from what we saw having gone there 3 times already.

Post me a personal message if you want my realtor's name and phone number.
Perhaps we can meet someday? Regards, Yany.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:58 PM

ok we are here and the on post housing has been a nightmare, it was dirty and unacceptable, they have had an inspector come out and has agreed so we are now waiting 2 weeks for another house one road away! ITs crazy e1-6 has huge new houses and we are in the dumps as an e7. We also have been looking at houses to buy but has been discouraged by the what is avai. outside of Lawton... UGH this is not what I expected out of this post....

Old 06-12-2008, 09:12 PM

I am sorry to hear about your nightmarish arrival. I hope it will be resolved soon. We still haven't sold our house yet but then it's alright because my husband and I still didn't find a house that suits both of us. There's not a lot of selection for us over there right now. I and the girls might have to stay behind for a while until a house is available in one of the desirable areas. Keep me posted. I gave up on post housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma