Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times

Advertisements

The record high temperature in OK was 113, but that was in the 1930s. The hottest I have been in was 110 in the summer of 1980. That was the day I left for cool South Dakota with my Mom to visit her relatives.

This is an interesting roundup of OK weather events:
NWS Norman, Oklahoma - Oklahoma's Top 10 Weather Events of the ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:28 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Tulsa TV said last night we have had the wettest April in history. 9.8 inches old record was something like 9.2 inches......and it was supposed to rain last night.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:48 AM

708 posts, read 687,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
The record high temperature in OK was 113, but that was in the 1930s. The hottest I have been in was 110 in the summer of 1980. That was the day I left for cool South Dakota with my Mom to visit her relatives.

wow intersting site!...that is hot tho..might be hotter then here!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:36 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:

That was really interesting, Peggy.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:37 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
I remember that Heat Wave of 1980, I was still at Ft Sill. They cancelled alot of our field training exercises and all of the live fires we had planned. With as dry as Ft. Sill got we still ended up do a lot of range fire patrols and fire fighting.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:34 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
The Winter of '83 I was living in Tulsa and it almost NEVER seemed to get above freezing the entire time. And snow was on the ground all winter long. It was brutal!

"Arctic Cold Wave - December 1983. Like the 1980 heat wave, many Oklahomans remember this as one of the most severe bouts of prolonged wind and cold ever. The latter half of the month saw temperatures 20 to 40 degrees below average nearly every day, along with winds that kept wind chills routinely between 0°F and -40°F. The temperature at Oklahoma City remained below freezing from the evening of the 17th until New Year's Eve - an all-time record of nearly 2 weeks. Temperatures dropped to 0°F or colder on 4 days, never rose out of the single digits on 3 days, and never rose above the teens on 7 days."

Old 04-27-2008, 09:14 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:

Ah, so it has never hit 113 degrees in OK since way back in the '30's. It's a relief to know that in recent times it's never gotten above a balmy 110!

Interesting list of weather events. I'm especially fascinated by the Tinker tornadoes. I've read about that in some detail. Apparently it really was the beginning of regular tornado forecasting.

It's also my understanding that it was sheer luck that this event precipitated an interest in tornado forecasting as a serious science, all because of the chance occurrence of two tornadoes in such close proximity a few days apart. After the first tornado, two Air Force meteorologists at the base pored over climatological records, looking for any weather conditions that had always been present in locations hit by tornadoes. On the basis of this, they predicted that Tinker would be hit by a tornado, on the day the second one did hit.

Of course this was sheer luck. Even today, while the weathermen can use doppler to detect the precise location of a tornado once it has formed, they still can't forecast the exact places where they will strike. It was just a matter of luck that a tornado hit Tinker the day these two guys at the base made that prediction, but that stroke of luck called enough attention to the seemingly successful forecast that others soon got interested in tornado forecasting, and a new branch of meteorology was formed. Of course this would have happened eventually anyway, but it was the lucky shot in the dark by those two meteorologists at Tinker that got people to seriously consider the possibility of forecasting tornadoes at the time they did.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 PM

AHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!AHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

big thunderstorms were over us and we were on a tornado warning!!! no tornado but very cool!!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Geez, stuff's breaking out everywhere...

http://www.wfaa.com/weather/myownradar/okc_dfw.gif (broken link)
Kew-ohl, CG's first tornado!! Our little techie's almost a real okie. Just a few more okie tests to go...

We need to clone Synopse so we can have these cool weather posts.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Kew-ohl, CG's first tornado!! Our little techie's almost a real okie. Just a few more okie tests to go...

We need to clone Synopse so we can have these cool weather posts.
im loving the idea of cloning synopsis!!

CG WELCOME TO OK!!! haha! i wish i was there to see it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma