Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 03:29 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingtorelocate33 View Post
Why is that? Seems like a huge safety issue with all the tornadoes. Is that why houses are so cheap?
It sounds like you have not done any research. Why does everyone always think tornado = basement? Geologically OK is not a good place for cellars/basements. We found that most newer construction has safe rooms or in-house tornado shelters. Cheap? Depends on where and what you are looking for:>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 04:03 PM

34 posts, read 32,983 times
Actually I am more concerned by the lost living/storage space. Here in Illinois we have a two story house plus a full basement. The basement increases square footage from 2,700 to about 4,000.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:38 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Two reasons.

The water table is too high in a lot of places and there is clay soil a lot of places which can crack foundations. If you come here make sure you find out if your house is on clay soil. If it is you will need to pay some attention to your foundation in the summer and water the foundation a little bit if it gets really hot and dry. I

There are some basements in older homes (Pre WWII) but not a whole bunch. And generally they are too musty to be liveable but can be used for tornadoes.

These days many people are building above ground safe rooms in newer homes. Below ground yard cellars have gotten really cheap.
A lot of people didn't even see any need to have tornado shelters until 1999 when an unusually strong tornado hit Moore and killed 36 people. The storm was so strong in many cases all was left was the concrete slab foundation. It became obvious a shelter for unusually strong tornadoes was necessary. The same point was driven home again in 2013 when another unusually strong tornado happened in Moore and killed 26. But the 2011 Joplin tornado really takes the cake to show why tornado shelters are needed for unusually powerful tornadoes. 161 people got killed.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Gas is $2.18 for unleaded here in Illinois. How much is it there?
$1.79 today.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:36 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It sounds like you have not done any research. Why does everyone always think tornado = basement? Geologically OK is not a good place for cellars/basements. We found that most newer construction has safe rooms or in-house tornado shelters. Cheap? Depends on where and what you are looking for:>)
Just to clarify. The in ground shelters have gotten to where they aren't that expensive.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:01 AM

Thanks all! Like I said my main concern isn't the tornadoes (we have them here in Illinois too) but rather the lack of square footage. If I'm comparing apples to apples Oklahoma's housing prices don't look so good without a basement. For example:

Illinois - 2,700 ft two story house + 1,350 ft basement = 4,050 square ft for around $300k
Oklahoma - 2,700 ft for around $250k

One of the nice things about having a basement is they are usually unfinished initially. So the owner can finish it however they want and whenever they want. For example, we finished our basement a few years after the house was built. Approximately 2/3 of it are finished (with a full bath) and 1/3 is unfinished for my workshop and storage.

So without the basement and the low salary for teachers, Oklahoma isn't looking like such a great fit for us.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:16 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Thanks all! Like I said my main concern isn't the tornadoes (we have them here in Illinois too) but rather the lack of square footage. If I'm comparing apples to apples Oklahoma's housing prices don't look so good without a basement. For example:

Illinois - 2,700 ft two story house + 1,350 ft basement = 4,050 square ft for around $300k

One of the nice things about having a basement is they are usually unfinished initially. So the owner can finish it however they want and whenever they want. For example, we finished our basement a few years after the house was built. Approximately 2/3 of it are finished (with a full bath) and 1/3 is unfinished for my workshop and storage.

So without the basement and the low salary for teachers, Oklahoma isn't looking like such a great fit for us.
All I can tell you is you aren't going to find any basements in the south or southwest. Not only are there usually issues with soil types and water tables, most builders won't build basements because the frost line is too close to the surface and building a basement is a huge extra expense. In the north in order to get below the frost line the builders have to dig far enough down to get to the frost line that they might as well do a basement. In the southwest caliche soil is too hard and basements cost too much to cool. I don't know but I don't think Cali has too many basements either.

You will find most people around here using above ground outside storage in their yards, extra garage space or storage rentals for storage. Lots of three and four car garages in newer, nicer areas.

If you want a basement Kansas, Missouri and Colorado are your best bets if you come this direction.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:30 AM

Sounds good. I wasn't really thinking about the a bigger garage or outside storage but that does make sense.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:43 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:

OK is not IL!

Basements are not standard as Eddie already explained. Again - you get what you pay for. There are some areas 250k will buy 2700 sqf builder grade. How many garage bays and if you can put up a shed depends on location.

Pay is tied into local markets and OK teachers are not paid bad if you factor everything in but that is something you can read up on in a thread from a year ago. First your spouse needs to get her OK certification. Then she can apply, If and when she gets a teaching job is something no one can tell. With all the online education why does she not bring her IL paying job with her?

Old 06-12-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:

You have to take more time trying to find a home with a basement in Oklahoma. Several years ago, I went to a sale at a home in my neighborhood and was surprised it had a basement, even though it wasn't a very old home. The basement was nicely finished, unlike the ones often found on House Hunters. My guess it would be yet more rare to find an unfinished basement in Oklahoma. Do be wary of basements at one of the lowest elevations in town. It may be subject to having water in it.

Be sure Oklahoma teacher pay rates are up to date. I think they're supposed to be competitive with neighboring states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma