Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:38 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times

Advertisements

Yes, it is true. We will be moving to New Jersey (near Hackensack) as soon as possible. Colleen, can you help me out with any house hunting or apt. hunting tips in the area? What about good companies for which to work? Help!

I know, it's a far cry from living in the country in Oklahoma, but this is a necessary move, and for the best in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 03:45 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,138,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Yes, it is true. We will be moving to New Jersey (near Hackensack) as soon as possible. Colleen, can you help me out with any house hunting or apt. hunting tips in the area? What about good companies for which to work? Help!

I know, it's a far cry from living in the country in Oklahoma, but this is a necessary move, and for the best in the long run.
Say Hi, to Tony Saprano for us. .

Old 04-30-2008, 04:13 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,690 times
Quote:

OMG, Synopsis, New Jersey!

The Good:

Every culture, food, and language can be found within it's borders. You are close to both New York City and Philadelphia. If it can't be found in either one of these cities, it doesn't exist. In NJ, you can go skiing in the winter, surfing in the summer, and all within driving distance of wherever you are in the state. Jobs are high paying, and in most cases plentiful. There are four distinct seasons, and none of them have extreme weather. NJ misses most blizzards and hurricanes. Also, NJ is one of the cheaper states for gas. However, you can't pump it yourself, and you do NOT tip the attendant who fills your tank.

The Bad:

NJ is a very crowded state. The traffic is difficult and the highways are very congested. Most people commute between an hour and two hours each way every day. You won't get as much sunshine as you do in Texas, but the summers will be more bearable. It rains a lot, but not as much as Seattle.

The Ugly

Housing is off the charts. I think most recently, though, things have come down a bit. But most people expect to pay upwards of $300,000 for a house, especially in the northern part of the state, which is where Hackensack is. Property taxes are also off the charts. I (still own) a 1200 square foot cape cod house whose annual tax bill is about $3800. Most people in the northern part of the state are paying $8,000 and more for property taxes. Car insurance is also expensive, but homeowners insurance is pretty reasonable.

All in all, New Jersey is a good place to live. Contrary to popular belief, the people are nice and friendly. You'll hit more short tempers there, though, because it's so crowded, and there is always long lines for most things.

Hackensack is in the northern part of the state, closer to the New York influence. In Hackensack you will find more of the "joisy" accent that Redbird is so fond of. Things are more expensive in the northern part of the state, but the salaries are higher, also.

Anything I can do to help, just ask. If you haven't done so already, go to the NJ forum. I find the people there are helpful, if somewhat "complaining". I'm cruising there on a pretty regular basis.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:22 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
Wow, Synopsis, moving to New Jersey. One good thing though is you have been all over the country already, and even Europe, right?

Old 04-30-2008, 04:29 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Quote:

WHAT??!!! No way!!! You sit your buttocks down and think about that, young man!!

Are you serious? OMG. That is terrible. Okay, you know what is best for your family. Which I am thinking is the reason to move. I always thought I would see a post saying you were moving to OK somewhere.

Well, I wish you the best of luck. And get a house with an extra bedroom so we can send someone there who pisses us off here in Oklahoma.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:27 PM

Yes Peggy, I've lived all over, so this is nothing new to me. Colleen, thanks for the great info. After looking at housing prices I got sticker shock. I'm thinking that if I could live in extreme Western PA, right across the border from NJ that housing is MUCH more affordable. I only need to be within an hour or so of Hackensack. I looked at East Stroudsburg, PA and there are some VERY reasonable homes there; the only problem is finding a job in Allentown or Bethlehem.

I saw some homes for 115 to 120K in East Stroudsburg that were very nice and in a nice hilly area. That would be the ultimate. To live in a small town and make enough wages to survive and not have to go into the Hackensack/NYC area except to experience the culture and food.. Yum, they DO have good food there.

Hopefully, in five years, with a lot of luck we will be moving to Oklahoma and I'll have enough capital to buy a decent size plot of land and live like Peggy!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:50 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
I'm still waiting for the punch line

Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 PM

No punch line GP.. It's not a choice of the heart, but rather an economic and professional one; both for me and other members of my family. I'll explain it to you in a DM sometime.

I got a deal that I couldn't refuse..

Old 04-30-2008, 08:16 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Does this mean we have to start calling you Joisey instead of Tex?

I am very sad to hear you are leaving us, but very happy you are doing it for the right reasons.

And good show by colleeng for the informative post on NJ. Sorry, but I can't seem to rep you or any else here.

Guess I have to go repping in the other forums again.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,690 times
Quote:
Yes Peggy, I've lived all over, so this is nothing new to me. Colleen, thanks for the great info. After looking at housing prices I got sticker shock. I'm thinking that if I could live in extreme Western PA, right across the border from NJ that housing is MUCH more affordable. I only need to be within an hour or so of Hackensack. I looked at East Stroudsburg, PA and there are some VERY reasonable homes there; the only problem is finding a job in Allentown or Bethlehem.

I saw some homes for 115 to 120K in East Stroudsburg that were very nice and in a nice hilly area. That would be the ultimate. To live in a small town and make enough wages to survive and not have to go into the Hackensack/NYC area except to experience the culture and food.. Yum, they DO have good food there.

Hopefully, in five years, with a lot of luck we will be moving to Oklahoma and I'll have enough capital to buy a decent size plot of land and live like Peggy!
Synopsis, I have a niece who lives in Dingman's Ferry, which is the general area of East Stroudsburg. She has a wonderful house, with land, in the woods and got it for a somewhat reasonable price. However, do be aware of the fact that they get a LOT of snow, and with all the hills, the driving can be trecherous. You might also consider looking for work in Scranton, which is a bigger city in PA than Allentown and Bethlehem. That whole area is the Pocono Mountains, which is a huge resort area. We spent all our vacations there for the last 8 years. It's beautiful country, the prices (and taxes) are pretty good, but the snow and ice can be a problem in the winter. My neice and her husband have been there for about 6 years and they love it. She commutes to Morristown, NJ for her job, and her hubby works at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma