Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:48 PM

215 posts, read 523,349 times

Advertisements

Coleen. It sounds good. I like the stuff you have 'cause you can run out and grab stuff for almost anything you want to cook. The herbs and stuff are so much better than even the "fresh" at the store. I just pray for the day that I will be delayed by unpacking!!!! If I'm too slow I can build a cold frame and get an early start next spring!!! Just please, please let me get packed soon.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,915,275 times
How about just locking things up, put your place on the market, and come on over.....we have a pretty comfortable futon and all the chickens, geese, goats, sheep, cows and dogs you can feed all you want........and lots of weeds growing among the tomatoes, corn and melons to hoe. All you gotta do is put up with a pseudo-dominant woman and an old, cranky, reprobate......

Old 06-30-2008, 08:24 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,286,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCntryBumpkin View Post
Hey yawl!

Kari, did you garden in AK? That would be interesting! I've seen pics of beautiful gardens up there. How do they do so good with such short seasons? Can't do rhubarb here, too hot and I like it a lot.

Gotta water NOW. Only 113 out there.
I did a little gardening, but not much - it was too wet where I lived. the best-known gardens are around Anchorage and Matanuska Valley. Every other business in Anchorage has bushes of ornamental kale growing, along with every kind of flower you can think of. Mat Valley comes up with HUGE vegetables - like 30 lb cabbages, that kind of thing. The growing season is short, but the sun barely sets, and the long days make up for it.

I had a bunch of little frames with various herbs growing [I was concentrating on perennials], and a couple rhubarb planlts. The rhubarb was neat in itself, there were plants left over from the days of the Russian occupation, when they had a big farm to feed themselves. The plants had dwindled to a single little leaf, so you had to know what you were looking for, but once they got transplanted and fertilized, they grew like crazy. I had bits of different things planted all over a southwest facing hillside, and I had an A-frame greenhouse. The most successful of all was carrots and broccoli. The least was potatoes. I had a 10 x 10 patch dug for potatoes, and the dirt was so sparse I dug in a couple hundred pounds of chicken house scrapings and rabbit droppings. tje potato vines were about 12' long, and the potatoes were about the size of a bird's egg - and I don't mean chicken! The broccoli did the same, the stalks were about 6' with head the size of an apple. Fortunately, broccoli stalks taste just fine. As for the herbs, rhubarb, and other perennials, the oil tank sprang a leak and killed everything.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:01 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,350,560 times
Plants are like glod fish, the bigger the bowl they're in the bigger they'll grow.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Plants are like glod fish, the bigger the bowl they're in the bigger they'll grow.
Last year's record setters at the main state fair in Mat Valley:

23-foot, 3 1/2-inch corn stalk
4.702-pound parsnip
1,019-pound pumpkin
17.195-pound yellow zucchini
67 1/8-inch long gourd
55.15-pound blue hubbard squash
21.530-pound bushel gourd
In addition, there is a separate category focused entirely on cabbage. Last years winner of the Giant Cabbage Weigh-Off: a 73.4-pound cabbage.

A 73 lb cabbage is a lot of cole slaw and sauer kraut. And just think of all those pumpin pies!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:45 PM

Okay, I have a question. Do armadillos cause much damage to plants you'd rather have them leave alone? I have one in the back yard, and while Paddy thinks it's great fun to check for new holes every day, I don't want to plant something it's going to munch on from the bottom up. I had that problem in WA with gohpers getting my rhubarb roots, and what little survived the gophers didn't survive the swamp we had for a back yard there.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:29 PM

Default Packin' it in.

GP:
Be careful with what you offer!! I'm with Countrywide. You don't know how tempted I am. If I did lock 'er up and go, the joint would be squatted in in a NY second. Realtors here don't like to come out in the heat. I'm cleaning the hoe as we speak, just in case. I too am a fellow cranky old(er) reprobate, but I don't drink as much as I'm led to believe some do (per CG?) but if I start I will be able to handle Schousse, right? I think I could learn a lot from her for my goat and chickens! I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to handle some of the trauma you've had with critters. City born ya know!

KARI:
That is a different way of doing things in the garden, huh? I'm not a gardener; I just try different stuff to see what happens and enjoy what does grow. Timing here has been hard to get down. My broccoli did the same thing. Lots of stem, but it was good stem. I wish I had the natural barn scrapin's to use. Even a neighbors horse would help. But as luck would have it only dogs leave stuff in the front yard, and I DON'T use that. I also need more time to play too. My only exposure to gardening were my gramma and gramp back when, but then I only enjoyed the fruits of their labor, (I hepped) and didn't pay enough attention, then poof, they're gone. I have seen some of those giant things on HGTV when they show the contests and AK is always there. I can't imagine how you would cook a 17lb stuffed zucchini! Don't know from no stinkin' armadillos. My problem is neighborhood cats sleepin' on the plants while I'm at work. Cooler I guess. Need a dog!

MK:
That is why I got my watermelon out of a pot and into the ground. I don't know where I thought I was going with it in a 5 gallon pot. It looked reasonable the first couple of weeks, then pow, off it went. Now that it's into the ground it's really kickin'. My little ones are now grape size already. I guess they really like the heat. Hope they don't get fried by it. Looks like no relief in sight for a while. I'm watering it like crazy. The poor maters curl up about 4pm but the when the sun goes behind the mountain, they seem to recover. They are in a pot too, but I think they will be ok. Come Sept., I should seem some blooms set - I hope.

Oh man, off to water some more. Down to 112 now and the sun's gone.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:11 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,350,560 times
Never water plants or your lawn in the heat of the day. The sun will heat the water and burn the plants.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:06 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,517,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCntryBumpkin View Post
GP:
Be careful with what you offer!! I'm with Countrywide. You don't know how tempted I am. If I did lock 'er up and go, the joint would be squatted in in a NY second. Realtors here don't like to come out in the heat. I'm cleaning the hoe as we speak, just in case. I too am a fellow cranky old(er) reprobate, but I don't drink as much as I'm led to believe some do (per CG?) but if I start I will be able to handle Schousse, right? I think I could learn a lot from her for my goat and chickens! I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to handle some of the trauma you've had with critters. City born ya know!

Hell, if your mortgage is with Countrywide it was probably overvalued anyway b their "professional appraisers"

Old 07-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Never water plants or your lawn in the heat of the day. The sun will heat the water and burn the plants.
Hey MK. Yep I know, but the trees in front and neighbors block it and it is very late afternoon when I do it. The leaves dry off in the hot air before dark, so critters don't bother. The sun is just going behind the mountain abt waterin' time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma